How to delete address history in explorer windows?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

chura

How to delete address history in explorer windows?

In the address bar in any explorer window, whenever I click on the down
arrow, or start typing in a url or file location, a history of all
previous locations and urls appears. How do I remove this history? Note
that I am not talking about Internet Explorer address history - this is
in a folder window.

I've tried using deleting history using internet explorer and a bunch
of software available on the internet but the address history stubbornly
remains.

Thanks for any help.

--
chura
Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]

Re: How to delete address history in explorer windows?
Try deleting from:

c:\users\you_username \appdata\local\microsoft\windows\history
--
Andre
Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
"chura" <chura.318pez@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> In the address bar in any explorer window, whenever I click on the down
> arrow, or start typing in a url or file location, a history of all
> previous locations and urls appears. How do I remove this history? Note
> that I am not talking about Internet Explorer address history - this is
> in a folder window.
>
> I've tried using deleting history using internet explorer and a bunch
> of software available on the internet but the address history stubbornly
> remains.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>

> --
> chura

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: How to delete address history in explorer windows?
Chura

The address bar in Windows Explorer is simply a mirror copy of the address
bar in Internet Explorer. Deleting the history in Internet Explorer should
clear the address bar history in both locations.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"chura" <chura.318pez@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> In the address bar in any explorer window, whenever I click on the down
> arrow, or start typing in a url or file location, a history of all
> previous locations and urls appears. How do I remove this history? Note
> that I am not talking about Internet Explorer address history - this is
> in a folder window.
>
> I've tried using deleting history using internet explorer and a bunch
> of software available on the internet but the address history stubbornly
> remains.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>

> --
> chura

link626

Re: How to delete address history in explorer windows?

i was searching for how to do this, and after finding nothing useful,
the only way i figured was through the registry.
since this thread comes up on the 2nd page of hits in google after
searching "delete windows explorer history", i figured i'd post an
answer for people in the future.

your *windows *explorer history is saved in the registry under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\TypedPaths

just delete the url strings, then close/open windows explorer again.
History is gone.

you can set acl permissions by right clicking the TypedPaths registry
key so that your history is never saved. just remove your username from
the list.

--
link626
Gene E. Bloch

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 19:32:36 -0600, link626 wrote:

> i was searching for how to do this, and after finding nothing useful,
> the only way i figured was through the registry.
> since this thread comes up on the 2nd page of hits in google after
> searching "delete windows explorer history", i figured i'd post an
> answer for people in the future.
>
> your *windows *explorer history is saved in the registry under
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\TypedPaths
>

> just delete the url strings, then close/open windows explorer again.
> History is gone.
>
> you can set acl permissions by right clicking the TypedPaths registry
> key so that your history is never saved. just remove your username from
> the list.

Deleting the registry entries is unlikely to delete the actual explorer
history *files*, but without any visible history in this thread, I have no
way to know what the previous poster(s) wanted.

OTOH, if I click on Tools in the Internet Explorer menu bar, the first
entry in the drop-down menu says "Delete Browsing History".

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
link626

Gene E. Bloch;1235239 Wrote:
> Deleting the registry entries is unlikely to delete the actual explorer
> history *files*, but without any visible history in this thread, I have
> no
> way to know what the previous poster(s) wanted.
>
> OTOH, if I click on Tools in the Internet Explorer menu bar, the first
> entry in the drop-down menu says "Delete Browsing History".
>
> --
> Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

the previous poster wasn't talking about INTERNET explorer.

he was talking about WINDOWS explorer.

you can clear all the history in Internet explorer, but it won't clear
the typed local pc folders in Windows explorer drop down list from the
address bar.
The folders you manually type in that box are stored in the registry
key I posted above

See attachment below to see what the OP was talking about.

|Filename: hx.png |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18533|

link626
Gene E. Bloch

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 00:57:16 -0600, link626 wrote:

> Gene E. Bloch;1235239 Wrote:
>> Deleting the registry entries is unlikely to delete the actual explorer
>> history *files*, but without any visible history in this thread, I have
>> no
>> way to know what the previous poster(s) wanted.
>>
>> OTOH, if I click on Tools in the Internet Explorer menu bar, the first
>> entry in the drop-down menu says "Delete Browsing History".
>>
>> --
>> Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom

> the previous poster wasn't talking about INTERNET explorer.
>
> he was talking about WINDOWS explorer.

Then it looks like my advice will be of no use to him :-)