Non-system disk or disk error

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Crystal

Non-system disk or disk error
I restarted my system and got this message:

Non-system disk or disk error
Replace and strike any key when ready

I do not have a floppy drive and there was no cd in the cdrom drive. I did
a hard power down "pressed the power off/on button" and left the system down
for a few minutes. When I powered the system back up it booted fine.

Anyone heard of this before? Causes? Solutions?

Re: Non-system disk or disk error
"Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I restarted my system and got this message:
>
> Non-system disk or disk error
> Replace and strike any key when ready
>
> I do not have a floppy drive and there was no cd in the cdrom drive. I
> did
> a hard power down "pressed the power off/on button" and left the system
> down
> for a few minutes. When I powered the system back up it booted fine.
>
> Anyone heard of this before? Causes? Solutions?

This could be caused by NTFS file corruption. Can you access the disc with
from the Vista DVD using the System Recovery Option Menu?

Crystal

Re: Non-system disk or disk error
It seems to be fine now. I haven't gotten the error again. But apparently it
may happen again if it is a corrupt system file. This is a brand new
computer from Dell. Maybe I should go to XP, it seems to work a lot better.

"M" wrote:

> "Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I restarted my system and got this message:
> >
> > Non-system disk or disk error
> > Replace and strike any key when ready
> >
> > I do not have a floppy drive and there was no cd in the cdrom drive. I
> > did
> > a hard power down "pressed the power off/on button" and left the system
> > down
> > for a few minutes. When I powered the system back up it booted fine.
> >
> > Anyone heard of this before? Causes? Solutions?

> This could be caused by NTFS file corruption. Can you access the disc with
> from the Vista DVD using the System Recovery Option Menu?

AJR

Re: Non-system disk or disk error
Crystal - "Non-system disk" error mean that at boot the HD was not "found"
and not due to a corrupted system file. A common problem when the computer
does not power up correctly - if it occurs again check cable connections.

> It seems to be fine now. I haven't gotten the error again. But apparently
> it
> may happen again if it is a corrupt system file. This is a brand new
> computer from Dell. Maybe I should go to XP, it seems to work a lot
> better.
>
> "M" wrote:
>
>> "Crystal" <Crystal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I restarted my system and got this message:
>> >
>> > Non-system disk or disk error
>> > Replace and strike any key when ready
>> >
>> > I do not have a floppy drive and there was no cd in the cdrom drive. I
>> > did
>> > a hard power down "pressed the power off/on button" and left the system
>> > down
>> > for a few minutes. When I powered the system back up it booted fine.
>> >
>> > Anyone heard of this before? Causes? Solutions?

>> This could be caused by NTFS file corruption. Can you access the disc
>> with
>> from the Vista DVD using the System Recovery Option Menu?

Andy C.(never #)

On Dec 4, 4:48 pm, Crystal <Crys...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> It seems to be fine now. I haven't gotten the error again. But apparently it
> may happen again if it is a corrupt system file. This is a brand new
> computer from Dell. Maybe I should go to XP, it seems to work a lot better.
>
> "M" wrote:
> > "Crystal" <Crys...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I restarted my system and got this message:

> > > Non-system disk or disk error
> > > Replace and strike any key when ready

> > > I do not have a floppy drive and there was no cd in the cdrom drive. I
> > > did
> > > a hard power down "pressed the power off/on button" and left the system
> > > down
> > > for a few minutes. When I powered the system back up it booted fine.

> > > Anyone heard of this before? Causes? Solutions?

> > This could be caused by NTFS file corruption. Can you access the disc with
> > from the Vista DVD using the System Recovery Option Menu?

You probably want to talk to Dell and see what their policy is on
this. Some companies drag their feet about rolling back your OS. When
I asked BestBuy about replacing vista with xp, they told me it wasn't
a good idea because some of the newer hardware on my laptop might not
be supported under xp. Yeah, I know. They were just stalling, but the
truth is they are kind of in the driver's seat. If you do something
they tell you not to do and the system gets hosed, oops, no more
warranty.

But, the one thing you can't do is ignore this. That's a pretty
serious problem and most machines don't fix themselves. They just wait
until you really need them and die.

Good luck.

Later,

Andy C.(never #)