Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

frustrated_lady

Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller
sMy Toshiba Satellite laptop running Vista Home Premium has been crashing and
rebooting itself. When I try to determine what caused the error, I get this
result:

"This problem was caused by Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller. Marvell Yukon
Ethernet Controller was created by Marvell Semiconductor.

A solution is available that will solve this problem."

So I went to the Marvell website and looked for the solution, but it doesn't
give me any info. I have to start from scratch entering info about my
computer. There is a whole list of downloads from which to choose, but I have
no idea which one is the correct one for my computer. I went to my Device
Manager and found the ethernet controller, then did a search for updates that
way. The results from that search say my driver is current:-/

Another recently-developed problem is that when I shut down my computer, it
goes through all the steps, then hangs on the screen that says it's shutting
down. The first time it did this, I didn't realize it until the next morning,
when I discovered it hadn't shut down the night before.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks!
Rick Rogers

Re: Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller
Hi,

Click start, type msinfo32 in the search box and hit <enter>. Expand the
components, then network, and click on adapter. Now, in the right pane
scroll down about halfway to locate the 'name' line. Post back with the
information on this line.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"frustrated_lady" <frustratedlady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:30BDB294-1D40-46E2-A7D9-FA1CB9F8E3C6@microsoft.com...
> sMy Toshiba Satellite laptop running Vista Home Premium has been crashing
> and
> rebooting itself. When I try to determine what caused the error, I get
> this
> result:
>
> "This problem was caused by Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller. Marvell
> Yukon
> Ethernet Controller was created by Marvell Semiconductor.
>
> A solution is available that will solve this problem."
>
> So I went to the Marvell website and looked for the solution, but it
> doesn't
> give me any info. I have to start from scratch entering info about my
> computer. There is a whole list of downloads from which to choose, but I
> have
> no idea which one is the correct one for my computer. I went to my Device
> Manager and found the ethernet controller, then did a search for updates
> that
> way. The results from that search say my driver is current:-/
>
> Another recently-developed problem is that when I shut down my computer,
> it
> goes through all the steps, then hangs on the screen that says it's
> shutting
> down. The first time it did this, I didn't realize it until the next
> morning,
> when I discovered it hadn't shut down the night before.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Many thanks!

frustrated_lady

Re: Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller
Is this what you needed?

Name [00000004] Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
Adapter Type Ethernet 802.3
Product Type Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
Installed Yes
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4353&SUBSYS_FF101179&REV_14\4&367 B9776&0&00E0
Last Reset 11/26/2007 4:16 PM
Index 4
Service Name yukonwlh
IP Address 192.168.1.103
IP Subnet 255.255.255.0
Default IP Gateway 192.168.1.1
DHCP Enabled Yes
DHCP Server 192.168.1.1
DHCP Lease Expires 11/27/2007 5:19 PM
DHCP Lease Obtained 11/26/2007 5:19 PM
MAC Address 00:A01:75:8D:EC
Memory Address 0xF0600000-0xF06FFFFF
I/O Port 0x00002000-0x00002FFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 16
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\yk60x86.sys (10.0.4.3, 216.50 KB (221,696
bytes), 1/9/2007 10:00 AM)

Thanks!
===============

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Click start, type msinfo32 in the search box and hit <enter>. Expand the
> components, then network, and click on adapter. Now, in the right pane
> scroll down about halfway to locate the 'name' line. Post back with the
> information on this line.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "frustrated_lady" <frustratedlady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:30BDB294-1D40-46E2-A7D9-FA1CB9F8E3C6@microsoft.com...
> > sMy Toshiba Satellite laptop running Vista Home Premium has been crashing
> > and
> > rebooting itself. When I try to determine what caused the error, I get
> > this
> > result:
> >
> > "This problem was caused by Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller. Marvell
> > Yukon
> > Ethernet Controller was created by Marvell Semiconductor.
> >
> > A solution is available that will solve this problem."
> >
> > So I went to the Marvell website and looked for the solution, but it
> > doesn't
> > give me any info. I have to start from scratch entering info about my
> > computer. There is a whole list of downloads from which to choose, but I
> > have
> > no idea which one is the correct one for my computer. I went to my Device
> > Manager and found the ethernet controller, then did a search for updates
> > that
> > way. The results from that search say my driver is current:-/
> >
> > Another recently-developed problem is that when I shut down my computer,
> > it
> > goes through all the steps, then hangs on the screen that says it's
> > shutting
> > down. The first time it did this, I didn't realize it until the next
> > morning,
> > when I discovered it hadn't shut down the night before.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions?
> >
> > Many thanks!

Charlie Tame

frustrated_lady wrote:
> [...]
>>> doesn't
>>> give me any info. I have to start from scratch entering info about my
>>> computer. There is a whole list of downloads from which to choose, but I
>>> have
>>> no idea which one is the correct one for my computer. I went to my Device
>>> Manager and found the ethernet controller, then did a search for updates
>>> that
>>> way. The results from that search say my driver is current:-/
>>>
>>> Another recently-developed problem is that when I shut down my computer,
>>> it
>>> goes through all the steps, then hangs on the screen that says it's
>>> shutting
>>> down. The first time it did this, I didn't realize it until the next
>>> morning,
>>> when I discovered it hadn't shut down the night before.

Wait and see what Rick says but I think this may be the one you want...

> http://www.marvell.com/drivers/drive...dId=101&pId=39

Unzip it and read the readme and if the link to instructions fails (it
did here) the folder is the various language versions - I think 409 was
the English version but the readme might work for you.

The stupid search thing always says the driver is the most up to date,
because it doesn't look very far

Shutdown issues are not uncommon and not exclusive to Vista, but this
crashing thing may have triggered that, it may have hosed a registry
setting or the driver for ACPI... try to get the networking sorted out
first.
Rick Rogers

Re: Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller
That'd be the one, thanks for looking it up for me.

--

"Charlie Tame" <charlie@tames.net> wrote in message
> frustrated_lady wrote:
>> Is this what you needed? Name [00000004] Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast
>> Ethernet Controller
>> Adapter Type Ethernet 802.3
>> Product Type Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
>> Installed Yes
>> PNP Device ID
>> PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4353&SUBSYS_FF101179&REV_14\4&367 B9776&0&00E0
>> Last Reset 11/26/2007 4:16 PM
>> Index 4
>> Service Name yukonwlh
>> IP Address 192.168.1.103
>> IP Subnet 255.255.255.0
>> Default IP Gateway 192.168.1.1
>> DHCP Enabled Yes
>> DHCP Server 192.168.1.1
>> DHCP Lease Expires 11/27/2007 5:19 PM
>> DHCP Lease Obtained 11/26/2007 5:19 PM
>> MAC Address 00:A01:75:8D:EC
>> Memory Address 0xF0600000-0xF06FFFFF
>> I/O Port 0x00002000-0x00002FFF
>> IRQ Channel IRQ 16
>> Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\yk60x86.sys (10.0.4.3, 216.50 KB
>> (221,696 bytes), 1/9/2007 10:00 AM)
>>
>> Thanks!
>> ===============
>>
>> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Click start, type msinfo32 in the search box and hit <enter>. Expand the
>>> components, then network, and click on adapter. Now, in the right pane
>>> scroll down about halfway to locate the 'name' line. Post back with the
>>> information on this line.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>>>
>>> "frustrated_lady" <frustratedlady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message news:30BDB294-1D40-46E2-A7D9-FA1CB9F8E3C6@microsoft.com...

> Wait and see what Rick says but I think this may be the one you want...
>
>> http://www.marvell.com/drivers/drive...dId=101&pId=39

> Unzip it and read the readme and if the link to instructions fails (it did
> here) the folder is the various language versions - I think 409 was the
> English version but the readme might work for you.
>
> The stupid search thing always says the driver is the most up to date,
> because it doesn't look very far
>

> Shutdown issues are not uncommon and not exclusive to Vista, but this
> crashing thing may have triggered that, it may have hosed a registry
> setting or the driver for ACPI... try to get the networking sorted out
> first.

Rick Rogers

Re: Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller
Perfect, see the link for the proper driver update provided by Charlie Tame.

--

message news:6310F5DB-9D26-4D9D-AE9C-33A0C0C35A4F@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > computer. There is a whole list of downloads from which to choose, but
>> > have
>> > no idea which one is the correct one for my computer. I went to my
>> > Device
>> > Manager and found the ethernet controller, then did a search for
>> > updates
>> > that
>> > way. The results from that search say my driver is current:-/
>> >
>> > Another recently-developed problem is that when I shut down my
>> > computer,
>> > it
>> > goes through all the steps, then hangs on the screen that says it's
>> > shutting
>> > down. The first time it did this, I didn't realize it until the next
>> > morning,
>> > when I discovered it hadn't shut down the night before.

frustrated_lady

Re: Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller
Thanks, guys!

Charlie, I followed your instructions (the link didn't work for me, either),
and I opened 409. I followed these instructions for updating a driver:
================
3.2 Updating the Driver

To update the driver:

1. On the desktop, right-click on MY COMPUTER.
2. Select MANAGE.
3. In the "Device Manager", double-click your adapter.
4. Select DRIVER.
5. Click UPDATE DRIVER...
6. Follow the instructions given by the operating system to locate the
driver.
7. If the driver which is found to be the latest is not the one you want to
install, select the check box "Install one of the other drivers".
8. Click NEXT.
9. From the driver list, select the driver to be installed.
10. Click NEXT.
11. If a message is displayed saying the driver is not digitally signed by
Microsoft, click YES.
12. Click FINISH to complete the installation.

NOTE: The latest version of the driver is available for download from our
web site.
================

Step 7. is where I'm stuck because it doesn't show any drivers, nor does it
show any alternatives.

I browsed my computer for driver software and came up with this list.

Generic Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
Generic Marvell Yukon Chipset based Ethernet Controller
Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (Marvell)
Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (Microsoft)

Which one do you suggest I use?

Many thanks!
Pamela

"Charlie Tame" wrote:

> frustrated_lady wrote:
> > Is this what you needed?
> >
> > Name [00000004] Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
> > Adapter Type Ethernet 802.3
> > Product Type Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
> > Installed Yes
> > PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4353&SUBSYS_FF101179&REV_14\4&367 B9776&0&00E0
> > Last Reset 11/26/2007 4:16 PM
> > Index 4
> > Service Name yukonwlh
> > IP Address 192.168.1.103
> > IP Subnet 255.255.255.0
> > Default IP Gateway 192.168.1.1
> > DHCP Enabled Yes
> > DHCP Server 192.168.1.1
> > DHCP Lease Expires 11/27/2007 5:19 PM
> > DHCP Lease Obtained 11/26/2007 5:19 PM
> > MAC Address 00:A01:75:8D:EC
> > Memory Address 0xF0600000-0xF06FFFFF
> > I/O Port 0x00002000-0x00002FFF
> > IRQ Channel IRQ 16
> > Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\yk60x86.sys (10.0.4.3, 216.50 KB (221,696
> > bytes), 1/9/2007 10:00 AM)
> >
> > Thanks!
> > ===============
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Click start, type msinfo32 in the search box and hit <enter>. Expand the
> >> components, then network, and click on adapter. Now, in the right pane
> >> scroll down about halfway to locate the 'name' line. Post back with the
> >> information on this line.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "frustrated_lady" <frustratedlady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:30BDB294-1D40-46E2-A7D9-FA1CB9F8E3C6@microsoft.com...

> Wait and see what Rick says but I think this may be the one you want...
>
> > http://www.marvell.com/drivers/drive...dId=101&pId=39

> Unzip it and read the readme and if the link to instructions fails (it
> did here) the folder is the various language versions - I think 409 was
> the English version but the readme might work for you.
>
> The stupid search thing always says the driver is the most up to date,
> because it doesn't look very far
>

> Shutdown issues are not uncommon and not exclusive to Vista, but this
> crashing thing may have triggered that, it may have hosed a registry
> setting or the driver for ACPI... try to get the networking sorted out
> first.

Rick Rogers

Re: Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller
Hi,

Download the file from the link Charles posted to your desktop. Then right
click on it and select 'extract all'. It will create a folder on your
desktop and you can delete the .zip file. Then you search for an updated
driver by right clicking the network adapater in Device Manager and choosing
"Update Driver Software". Choose the second option to browse the computer,
then browse again and select your Desktop from the top of the folder dialog.
Check the box to include subfolders and click next. You should be able to
follow the prompts from here.

--

message news:07E467F9-B5C3-4C65-ADB3-BCC807652A95@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\yk60x86.sys (10.0.4.3, 216.50 KB
>> > (221,696
>> > bytes), 1/9/2007 10:00 AM)
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > ===============

>> Wait and see what Rick says but I think this may be the one you want...
>>
>> > http://www.marvell.com/drivers/drive...dId=101&pId=39

>> Unzip it and read the readme and if the link to instructions fails (it
>> did here) the folder is the various language versions - I think 409 was
>> the English version but the readme might work for you.
>>
>> The stupid search thing always says the driver is the most up to date,
>> because it doesn't look very far
>>

>> Shutdown issues are not uncommon and not exclusive to Vista, but this
>> crashing thing may have triggered that, it may have hosed a registry
>> setting or the driver for ACPI... try to get the networking sorted out

james4747

Re: Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller

Sorry to bring this topic back up. I have had virtually the same
problems as the above poster on my computer. I'm also running Windows
Vista. I didn't have any problems until one day my machine hung while
shutting down. Now I see the same error as the above poster when the
machine turns back on.

I tried updating my driver using the link above, to what I believe to
be version 10.28.3.3. However, when checking this using the msinfo32
command it appears as version 10.28.2.3. If I check it through the
device manager it appears as 10.28.3.3 (Release date 29/11/2007)

Since the problem continued I tried removing the Marvell Yukon driver
and shut down before vista had time to install it again. This allowed
me to shut down successfully, so this is defiantly a driver issue.
However, after vista reinstalled the driver shut down problems
continued, and updating the driver to v10.28.3.3 once again still
didn't solve it.

The only time this is a problem is when shutting down, my computer does
not seem to crash at any other time due to this issue. Any help would be
greatly appreciated, as I'm out of ideas on this one!

Below is the information from msinfo32

--
james4747
DarkSentinel

"james4747" <james4747@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Sorry to bring this topic back up. I have had virtually the same
> problems as the above poster on my computer. I'm also running Windows
> Vista. I didn't have any problems until one day my machine hung while
> shutting down. Now I see the same error as the above poster when the
> machine turns back on.
>
> I tried updating my driver using the link above, to what I believe to
> be version 10.28.3.3. However, when checking this using the msinfo32
> command it appears as version 10.28.2.3. If I check it through the
> device manager it appears as 10.28.3.3 (Release date 29/11/2007)
>
> Since the problem continued I tried removing the Marvell Yukon driver
> and shut down before vista had time to install it again. This allowed
> me to shut down successfully, so this is defiantly a driver issue.
> However, after vista reinstalled the driver shut down problems
> continued, and updating the driver to v10.28.3.3 once again still
> didn't solve it.
>
> The only time this is a problem is when shutting down, my computer does
> not seem to crash at any other time due to this issue. Any help would be
> greatly appreciated, as I'm out of ideas on this one!
>
> Below is the information from msinfo32
>

>> Name [00000004] Marvell Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet
>> Controller
>> Adapter Type Ethernet 802.3
>> Product Type Marvell Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
>> Installed Yes
>> PNP Device ID
>> PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4363&SUBSYS_2054161F&REV_12\4&143 34EC0&0&00E0
>> Last Reset 28/12/2007 21:06
>> Index 4
>> Service Name yukonwlh
>> IP Address 192.168.0.101, fe80::f8f4:d825:a614:4b2
>> IP Subnet 255.255.255.0, 64
>> Default IP Gateway 192.168.0.1
>> DHCP Enabled Yes
>> DHCP Server 192.168.0.1
>> DHCP Lease Expires 04/01/2008 21:06
>> DHCP Lease Obtained 28/12/2007 21:06
>> MAC Address 00:03:25:45:C6:52
>> Memory Address 0xFDEFC000-0xFDEFFFFF
>> I/O Port 0x0000C800-0x0000C8FF
>> IRQ Channel IRQ 16
>> Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\yk60x86.sys (10.28.2.3, 291.50 KB
>> (298,496 bytes), 28/12/2007 20:49)

I'm running the 88E8056, but the driver is the same. Try rolling back to the
10.22.3.9 driver version that I'm using. Mine works flawlessly both direct
to the cable modem, and my router.

--
Ok, I got the big purple f*cker, Sponge Bob is next!!
http://www.lockergnome.com/darksentinel