Boot from eSATA drive

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Paul

Boot from eSATA drive
I've got an ASUS M2N32 - SLI Deluxe AMD64X2 MB that has an external eSATA
and it works well. So, I've been wanting to try to boot from the external
SATA hard drive but changing the BIOS hasn't worked. Boot up slows as if
it's looking for an external to boot off but then goes to the next boot
drive and starts normally. ASUS says it can be done but tech support is
useless.
Anyone have any suggestions?
TIA

andy

Re: Boot from eSATA drive
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:34:55 -0600, "Paul" <pcostanza@cox.net> wrote:

>I've got an ASUS M2N32 - SLI Deluxe AMD64X2 MB that has an external eSATA
>and it works well. So, I've been wanting to try to boot from the external
>SATA hard drive but changing the BIOS hasn't worked. Boot up slows as if
>it's looking for an external to boot off but then goes to the next boot
>drive and starts normally. ASUS says it can be done but tech support is
>useless.
>Anyone have any suggestions?
>TIA

Does the external SATA drive appear in Bios setting Boot / Hard Disk
Drives? If so, move it to the top of the list of drives.
DevilsPGD

Re: Boot from eSATA drive
In message <faa6k39muaum9af55on0vubk8lbqtuf0ft@4ax.com> andy
<bogusaddress@bogusaddress.123> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:34:55 -0600, "Paul" <pcostanza@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>I've got an ASUS M2N32 - SLI Deluxe AMD64X2 MB that has an external eSATA
>>and it works well. So, I've been wanting to try to boot from the external
>>SATA hard drive but changing the BIOS hasn't worked. Boot up slows as if
>>it's looking for an external to boot off but then goes to the next boot
>>drive and starts normally. ASUS says it can be done but tech support is
>>useless.
>>Anyone have any suggestions?
>>TIA

>Does the external SATA drive appear in Bios setting Boot / Hard Disk
>Drives? If so, move it to the top of the list of drives.

FWIW, I found this motherboard to be rather temperamental with regards
to selecting boot drives, sometimes I needed to remove one of the
internal drives temporarily, get into the BIOS, save settings, then
reinstall the removed drive, go back into the BIOS and change it to get
the change to stick.

A firmware upgrade appears to have solved the problem, although I
haven't spent much time mucking around with boot drives since then.

linuxer09 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Boot from eSATA drive
I managed to boot from eSATA driver through an add-on adapter:

Bootable eSATA ExpressCard Adapter for Notebook

Tried windows XP, Vista, win 7 and ubuntu. All works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsPGD View Post