the Vista Start menu - yet another Vista disaster.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Destin_FL

the Vista Start menu - yet another Vista disaster.
The new Vista Start Menu is a complete mess. At 1600 x 1200 on a 22"
monitor I am squinting and straining my neck over to the left of my screen
trying read the menu items, and the ridiculous folder system within the
menu. I need the entire menu to fan out all at once just as it did in XP.
Actually in XP you got to CHOOSE how the menu worked. You could have it
scroll OR fan out all at once. And even if you chose to scroll, it was
legible and easy to navigate. This new menu is just terrible. Tiny,
nonsensical, unreadable; looks EXACTLY like sardines in a sardines can.

You know, this operating system, with as much time and energy as Microsoft
spent making as pretty as possible, they should have spent all that time
working out the MULTITUDE of bugs and headaches instead before releasing it
.. This whole Vista debacle shows incredibly poor management at Microsoft.

And the sales and penetration of Vista absolutely prove this point. After
months of hyping how pretty the new operating system is, people still just
want a system that is stable and free from major bugs and headaches. And
people are resisting moving to Vista in droves because the word on the
street, accurately, is that Vista is pretty, but that beauty is still full
of bugs and headaches.

Tim

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: the Vista Start menu - yet another Vista disaster.
Tim;
Hopefully you have returned Windows Vista.
Very easy for retail purchased in North America.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Destin_FL" <hightidemedia@spamfree.gmail.com> wrote in message
> The new Vista Start Menu is a complete mess. At 1600 x 1200 on a
> 22" monitor I am squinting and straining my neck over to the left of
> my screen trying read the menu items, and the ridiculous folder
> system within the menu. I need the entire menu to fan out all at
> once just as it did in XP. Actually in XP you got to CHOOSE how the
> menu worked. You could have it scroll OR fan out all at once. And
> even if you chose to scroll, it was legible and easy to navigate.
> This new menu is just terrible. Tiny, nonsensical, unreadable;
> looks EXACTLY like sardines in a sardines can.
>
> You know, this operating system, with as much time and energy as
> Microsoft spent making as pretty as possible, they should have spent
> all that time working out the MULTITUDE of bugs and headaches
> instead before releasing it . This whole Vista debacle shows
> incredibly poor management at Microsoft.
>
> And the sales and penetration of Vista absolutely prove this point.
> After months of hyping how pretty the new operating system is,
> people still just want a system that is stable and free from major
> bugs and headaches. And people are resisting moving to Vista in
> droves because the word on the street, accurately, is that Vista is
> pretty, but that beauty is still full of bugs and headaches.
>
> Tim

Frank

Destin_FL wrote:
> The new Vista Start Menu is a complete mess. At 1600 x 1200 on a 22"
> monitor I am squinting and straining my neck over to the left of my
> screen trying read the menu items, and the ridiculous folder system
> within the menu. I need the entire menu to fan out all at once just as
> it did in XP. Actually in XP you got to CHOOSE how the menu worked. You
> could have it scroll OR fan out all at once. And even if you chose to
> scroll, it was legible and easy to navigate. This new menu is just
> terrible. Tiny, nonsensical, unreadable; looks EXACTLY like sardines in
> a sardines can.
>
> You know, this operating system, with as much time and energy as
> Microsoft spent making as pretty as possible, they should have spent all
> that time working out the MULTITUDE of bugs and headaches instead before
> releasing it . This whole Vista debacle shows incredibly poor
> management at Microsoft.
>
> And the sales and penetration of Vista absolutely prove this point.
> After months of hyping how pretty the new operating system is, people
> still just want a system that is stable and free from major bugs and
> headaches. And people are resisting moving to Vista in droves because
> the word on the street, accurately, is that Vista is pretty, but that
> beauty is still full of bugs and headaches.
>
> Tim

Well tim, you need to switch to classic menu, which is easily done by
right clicking on the globe/properties/ and selecting "classic start menu".
Most of the problems very few users are having with Vista is the fact
that it is not exactly like XP. So users like you get lost and don't
know what to do. So you strike out at MS for even launching Vista. Truth
be told, there nothing majorly wrong with Vista...some people just can't
get use to the idea that it's basically a brand new os and not XP with
eye-candy. It has a little "learning curve".
You'll get over it.
Vista is really a great os! So stick with it, you'll be happy you did.
Frank

BTW, how's Niceville doing? :-)
Destin_FL

Re: the Vista Start menu - yet another Vista disaster.
Actually came pre-installed on a machine. Otherwise I would have resisted
adopting it just as 85% of the general public and corporations have. I
needed a computer in a hurry, had to go to a big box retailer where Vista is
forceware. Thank God for companies like Velocity Micro who still offer XP
Pro on new sales. Hopefully I can get this system back within 14 day return
window.

I will say this, in an effort to be fair: The Vista search for files and
folders is wonderful, and the Outlook Express replacement, Windows Mail is
magnificent. And quite honestly, I am a big fan of Microsoft... but there
is just zero excuse for rolling a product with this many headaches before it
was ready.

Can you imagine if auto makers over-hyped the new model, but actually 40% of
them had failing brakes or steering right out of the showroom? Nobody would
buy it. For the same reasons that nobody wants Vista. Vista's reputation
ALREADY precedes it. And that really is a sad shame.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: the Vista Start menu - yet another Vista disaster.
Change your monitor to 1680 X 1050 native resolution.
Does your video card support a wide-screen LCD monitor?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

[...]

Hi Frank, hey are you in photography newsgroups from time to time? I think
we may have talked a year or two ago.... I remember somebody in
rec.photo.digital asking me about Niceville. I don't get up there much, but
it really is a great little town. I know people who live there and they
really love it.

Destin_FL

Re: the Vista Start menu - yet another Vista disaster.
The monitor's native resolution is 1600 x 1200, a Samsung 214T, a relatively
hi-end monitor. Sadly, Samsung hasn't written Vista drivers for monitors
they sold before Vista came out. And it is sort of resolution thing, but
mostly it is a thing that MS thought would be really neat looking, and maybe
it is at 1280 x 1024 on a 27" monitor. I don't know....

I need to go to bed. I can feel myself getting really bitchy about this
whole Vista thing. Ugh. My apologies to the group. I'll get up tomorrow
and look at all of this in a fresh light.

There are Vista things, even just 72 hours in that I am already really in
love with.

__

> Change your monitor to 1680 X 1050 native resolution.
> Does your video card support a wide-screen LCD monitor?
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: the Vista Start menu - yet another Vista disaster.
Dell, Toshiba and possibly other major OEMs continue to sell computers
with Windows XP.
Also countless local shops continue to sell computers with Windows XP.
"forceware" is inappropriate since there are other choices and they
are easy to find.
Velocity Micro is another one.
Most of them will probably continue to sell computers with Windows XP
until about the middle of 2008.

--

> Actually came pre-installed on a machine. Otherwise I would have
> resisted adopting it just as 85% of the general public and
> corporations have. I needed a computer in a hurry, had to go to a
> big box retailer where Vista is forceware. Thank God for companies
> like Velocity Micro who still offer XP Pro on new sales. Hopefully
> I can get this system back within 14 day return window.
>
> I will say this, in an effort to be fair: The Vista search for
> files and folders is wonderful, and the Outlook Express replacement,
> Windows Mail is magnificent. And quite honestly, I am a big fan of
> Microsoft... but there is just zero excuse for rolling a product
> with this many headaches before it was ready.
>
> Can you imagine if auto makers over-hyped the new model, but
> actually 40% of them had failing brakes or steering right out of the
> showroom? Nobody would buy it. For the same reasons that nobody
> wants Vista. Vista's reputation ALREADY precedes it. And that
> really is a sad shame.

Ron

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> Dell, Toshiba and possibly other major OEMs continue to sell computers
> with Windows XP.

I have a friend who is in the beginner-leaning toward novice class of
user who just bought a laptop from Dell, and they told her that no
downgrades to XP were available from them.

I specifically noted that she should ask the Dell folks about the Vista
to XP downgrade options, discuss it with them, and then make the choice
that she felt most comfortable with. She said they only offered her
Vista on the laptop she was going to purchase, and that they did not
have any downgrade options period.

I'm not sure if this incident was just a sales associate gone wild, but
that surprised the heck out of me when she told me that Dell was only
offering Vista with the laptop she purchased from them.

--
Last Days Photography
http://www.lastdaysphotography.com/
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: the Vista Start menu - yet another Vista disaster.
Ron;
Perhaps it was the specific model.
Some models may not be available with Windows XP.

But some are:
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...dhs&redirect=1
This is not a downgrade, these are computers purchased with Windows
XP.