Unable to access Local Settings folder in Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Leslie

Unable to access Local Settings folder in Vista
I believe my profile is set up as an administrator, and when I view the
permissions for these folders it shows that I have the ability to view, etc
the files, but it won't actually let me - just goes through this endless loop
saying I don't have permission, view the tabs, won't let me edit anything,
etc. VERY frustrating!! I would like to backup (via copy) the files in the
folder (outlook data files, templates, etc) but I can't get to them to do
it...

suggestions? I can't remember how to log on as the regular administrator
either...
Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]

Re: Unable to access Local Settings folder in Vista
Try disabling UAC first in Control Panel > User Accounts > Turn User Account
Control On or Off
--
Andre
Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
"Leslie" <Leslie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I believe my profile is set up as an administrator, and when I view the
> permissions for these folders it shows that I have the ability to view,
> etc
> the files, but it won't actually let me - just goes through this endless
> loop
> saying I don't have permission, view the tabs, won't let me edit anything,
> etc. VERY frustrating!! I would like to backup (via copy) the files in
> the
> folder (outlook data files, templates, etc) but I can't get to them to do
> it...
>
> suggestions? I can't remember how to log on as the regular administrator
> either...

Leslie

Re: Unable to access Local Settings folder in Vista
I did the instructions below (they are off), no change - I still can't access
the folder even after restarting. What next?

"Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]" wrote:

> Try disabling UAC first in Control Panel > User Accounts > Turn User Account
> Control On or Off
> --
> Andre
> Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
> My Vista Quickstart Guide:
> http://adacosta.spaces.live.com/blog...3DB!9709.entry
> "Leslie" <Leslie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I believe my profile is set up as an administrator, and when I view the
> > permissions for these folders it shows that I have the ability to view,
> > etc
> > the files, but it won't actually let me - just goes through this endless
> > loop
> > saying I don't have permission, view the tabs, won't let me edit anything,
> > etc. VERY frustrating!! I would like to backup (via copy) the files in
> > the
> > folder (outlook data files, templates, etc) but I can't get to them to do
> > it...
> >
> > suggestions? I can't remember how to log on as the regular administrator
> > either...

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Unable to access Local Settings folder in Vista
Leslie

The Local Settings folder is not a real folder, it is a Junction. Default
file locations have changed in Vista, from previous versions of windows.
Look closely and you will notice that there is a shortcut arrow on the Local
Settings folder. This arrow indicates that it is a junction. A junction is
used to redirect files to the new location in Vista. There are no files in a
junction.

The files that you would normally find in the Local Settings folder are now
located in the C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local folder. These folders are
hidden, by default, so you need to click Organize/Folder and Search
Options/View Tab. Select the 'Show hidden files and folders' option.
Apply/OK.

More information on junctions can be found here:

Svrops.com - Windows Vista Junction Points:
Excellent site with tables that list all of the old folder
names/locations in XP and their new name/location in Vista.
http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

>I did the instructions below (they are off), no change - I still can't
>access
> the folder even after restarting. What next?
>
> "Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]" wrote:
>
>> Try disabling UAC first in Control Panel > User Accounts > Turn User
>> Account
>> Control On or Off
>> --
>> Andre
>> Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
>> My Vista Quickstart Guide:
>> http://adacosta.spaces.live.com/blog...3DB!9709.entry
>> "Leslie" <Leslie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I believe my profile is set up as an administrator, and when I view the
>> > permissions for these folders it shows that I have the ability to view,
>> > etc
>> > the files, but it won't actually let me - just goes through this
>> > endless
>> > loop
>> > saying I don't have permission, view the tabs, won't let me edit
>> > anything,
>> > etc. VERY frustrating!! I would like to backup (via copy) the files
>> > in
>> > the
>> > folder (outlook data files, templates, etc) but I can't get to them to
>> > do
>> > it...
>> >
>> > suggestions? I can't remember how to log on as the regular
>> > administrator
>> > either...

Leslie

Re: Unable to access Local Settings folder in Vista
Perfect!! I can get to that folder! Thanks!

Leslie

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Leslie
>
> The Local Settings folder is not a real folder, it is a Junction. Default
> file locations have changed in Vista, from previous versions of windows.
> Look closely and you will notice that there is a shortcut arrow on the Local
> Settings folder. This arrow indicates that it is a junction. A junction is
> used to redirect files to the new location in Vista. There are no files in a
> junction.
>
> The files that you would normally find in the Local Settings folder are now
> located in the C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local folder. These folders are
> hidden, by default, so you need to click Organize/Folder and Search
> Options/View Tab. Select the 'Show hidden files and folders' option.
> Apply/OK.
>
> More information on junctions can be found here:
>
> Svrops.com - Windows Vista Junction Points:
> Excellent site with tables that list all of the old folder
> names/locations in XP and their new name/location in Vista.
> http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Leslie" <Leslie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I did the instructions below (they are off), no change - I still can't
> >access
> > the folder even after restarting. What next?
> >
> > "Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]" wrote:
> >
> >> Try disabling UAC first in Control Panel > User Accounts > Turn User
> >> Account
> >> Control On or Off
> >> --
> >> Andre
> >> Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
> >> My Vista Quickstart Guide:
> >> http://adacosta.spaces.live.com/blog...3DB!9709.entry

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Unable to access Local Settings folder in Vista
Leslie

Glad this helped.

--

Ronnie Vernon