Quickbooks Pro 2005 does not install in MS Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

PepeGuitar

Quickbooks Pro 2005 does not install in MS Vista
After you manage to install (using the Windows Explorer)
Quickbooks Pro 2005 in MS Vista, the program will not
open, instead you get a message saying:
"Fatal error: Function: License/Utility::Initialize Signature boot_cdecl
License Utility::Initialize(void) File:,\.\src\LicenseUtility.cpp Line 431"
A lot of people has been complaining about this at Intuit and
at any other MS Vista site.
Installing Microsoft .NET Framework versions didn't resolve the issue.
Installing and running the program under Vista compatibility modes
for Windows XP, or 98, etc. didn't help either.
Protected Storage changed to Automatic didn't help.
I have tried everything, every suggested solution.
Anybody has a clue on how to overcome this?
Please!

Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]

Re: Quickbooks Pro 2005 does not install in MS Vista
Only Quickbooks Pro versions 2007 and 2008 are known to be compatible with
Windows Vista. Time to upgrade my friend.
--
Andre
Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
"PepeGuitar" <PepeGuitar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After you manage to install (using the Windows Explorer)
> Quickbooks Pro 2005 in MS Vista, the program will not
> open, instead you get a message saying:
> "Fatal error: Function: License/Utility::Initialize Signature boot_cdecl
> License Utility::Initialize(void) File:,\.\src\LicenseUtility.cpp Line
> 431"
> A lot of people has been complaining about this at Intuit and
> at any other MS Vista site.
> Installing Microsoft .NET Framework versions didn't resolve the issue.
> Installing and running the program under Vista compatibility modes
> for Windows XP, or 98, etc. didn't help either.
> Protected Storage changed to Automatic didn't help.
> I have tried everything, every suggested solution.
> Anybody has a clue on how to overcome this?
> Please!

kevinboer

Re: Quickbooks Pro 2005 does not install in MS Vista

After a lot of fiddling, I was able to get Quickbooks 2005 to work on
Windows Vista. Here are the steps I took, cobbling together pieces of
advice from various online forums; your mileage may vary. Not all of
these steps may be necessary in your case.

1) Uninstall whatever version of Flash you currently have.
2) Uninstall whatever version of Microsoft .NET framework you currently
have.
3) Reboot
4) Unpack the Quickbooks installation files
5) Within the Quickbooks installation files you'll see a folder called
THIRDPARTY, and in that folder you'll see another one called DOTNET11.
Within the DOTNET11 folder you'll see the executable dotnetfx.exe Run
that file to install the Microsoft .NET framework 1.1 (which Quickbooks
needs).
6) Reboot
7) Install Quickbooks; the installation process likes to have Flash 7
available so it can show you a bunch of promo videos, but if Flash isn't
installed on your computer (and it won't be if you've followed number 1
above), the installation still runs fine, and you simply don't get the
promo videos.
8) Set Quickbooks to run in Windows XP SP 2 mode, disable visual themes
for the executable, and you may need to run as administrator. To do
that:
a) Find the Quickbooks executable file
b) Right click on it and choose Properties
c) Select the Compatibility Mode tab
d) Choose "Run this program in compatibility mode for" Windows XP SP2
e) Choose "Disable Visual Themes"
f) Choose "Run as Administrator"
9) Run Services.msc, and for the Protected Storage Service, start it,
and set it to automatic.
10) Run Quickbooks and download and install the needed updates.

Caveats:
1) I haven't yet re-installed Flash; I doubt that doing so will affect
Quickbooks as it only appears to want Flash for the install process.
2) I haven't yet installed an upgraded version of Microsoft .NET; I
have no idea whether doing so will harm QuickBooks. For now I'll stick
with Microsoft .NET 1.1 and will only install a later version if I
absolutely have to.

--
kevinboer
Charles W Davis

Re: Quickbooks Pro 2005 does not install in MS Vista
You do realize that the first QB version supported on Vista is QB 2007.