Cd Key

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Sero

Cd Key
Ok my probem is, i bought a new laptop in pc world and a few weeks after i
bought the laptop is got stolen, now i have the recovery disk from the new
laptop. i have a second hand laptop now but i would like to put windows vista
on it but i don't have the cd key from my new laptop that i bought.
how can i get the cd key back so i can put it on my other laptop?
Will i have to buy vista again?
can anyone please help me?
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Cd Key
You can't.
The Windows that came with the laptop is OEM.
Normally OEM is permanently tied to the original computer regardless
the condition of the original computer.
The Windows license was stolen with the original computer, include it
in the insurance claim if applicable.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Sero" <Sero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok my probem is, i bought a new laptop in pc world and a few weeks
> after i
> bought the laptop is got stolen, now i have the recovery disk from
> the new
> laptop. i have a second hand laptop now but i would like to put
> windows vista
> on it but i don't have the cd key from my new laptop that i bought.
> how can i get the cd key back so i can put it on my other laptop?
> Will i have to buy vista again?
> can anyone please help me?

Jane C

Re: Cd Key
Hi Sero,

You cannot use the recovery CDs from your stolen laptop on any other
computer. Your laptop came with Vista preinstalled by the OEM. OEM
installs cannot be transferred to any other computer.

If you wish to have Vista on your current laptop, then you would have to
purchase a retail version.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

"Sero" <Sero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok my probem is, i bought a new laptop in pc world and a few weeks after i
> bought the laptop is got stolen, now i have the recovery disk from the new
> laptop. i have a second hand laptop now but i would like to put windows
> vista
> on it but i don't have the cd key from my new laptop that i bought.
> how can i get the cd key back so i can put it on my other laptop?
> Will i have to buy vista again?
> can anyone please help me?

joel406

Re: Cd Key

Your screwed dude. Microsoft will never just "give" you a product key.

Go to newegg.com and buy an OEM upgrade and we will tell you how to
install the full version from it.

Bad luck there dude.

--
joel406
Sero

Re: Cd Key
Can i not just buy a cd key?

"Jane C" wrote:

> Hi Sero,
>
> You cannot use the recovery CDs from your stolen laptop on any other
> computer. Your laptop came with Vista preinstalled by the OEM. OEM
> installs cannot be transferred to any other computer.
>
> If you wish to have Vista on your current laptop, then you would have to
> purchase a retail version.
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
> MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> "Sero" <Sero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok my probem is, i bought a new laptop in pc world and a few weeks after i
> > bought the laptop is got stolen, now i have the recovery disk from the new
> > laptop. i have a second hand laptop now but i would like to put windows
> > vista
> > on it but i don't have the cd key from my new laptop that i bought.
> > how can i get the cd key back so i can put it on my other laptop?
> > Will i have to buy vista again?
> > can anyone please help me?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Cd Key
Microsoft does not replace OEM keys. The product key
is forever tied and licensed to the computer it came with.

> Can i not just buy a cd key?
>
> "Jane C" wrote:
>
>> Hi Sero,
>>
>> You cannot use the recovery CDs from your stolen laptop on any other
>> computer. Your laptop came with Vista preinstalled by the OEM. OEM
>> installs cannot be transferred to any other computer.
>>
>> If you wish to have Vista on your current laptop, then you would have to
>> purchase a retail version.
>>
>> --
>> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
>> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;-)
>> MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> "Sero" <Sero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ok my probem is, i bought a new laptop in pc world and a few weeks
>> > after i
>> > bought the laptop is got stolen, now i have the recovery disk from the
>> > new
>> > laptop. i have a second hand laptop now but i would like to put windows
>> > vista
>> > on it but i don't have the cd key from my new laptop that i bought.
>> > how can i get the cd key back so i can put it on my other laptop?
>> > Will i have to buy vista again?
>> > can anyone please help me?

Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]

Re: Cd Key
There are not upgrade versions of OEM Windows, its a full version, just does
not upgrade existing installations, for that you need the retail FPP or
Upgrade versions of Vista.
--
Andre
Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
"joel406" <joel406.2yxiz4@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Your screwed dude. Microsoft will never just "give" you a product key.
>
> Go to newegg.com and buy an OEM upgrade and we will tell you how to
> install the full version from it.
>
> Bad luck there dude.
>

> --
> joel406

Richard Urban

Re: Cd Key
The operating system is gone, along with the computer. If you want to run
Vista (or any version of Windows) on another computer you must have a
"different" valid copy to install such. Your old O/S was tied to the
computer that was stolen.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"Sero" <Sero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok my probem is, i bought a new laptop in pc world and a few weeks after i
> bought the laptop is got stolen, now i have the recovery disk from the new
> laptop. i have a second hand laptop now but i would like to put windows
> vista
> on it but i don't have the cd key from my new laptop that i bought.
> how can i get the cd key back so i can put it on my other laptop?
> Will i have to buy vista again?
> can anyone please help me?

DevilsPGD

Re: Cd Key
In message <C6F84F2C-602E-4AA1-9AEC-CC2777E16868@microsoft.com> Sero
<Sero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can i not just buy a cd key?

If you have a valid DVD, rather then a recovery image, then yes, you can
install it and purchase a key online from within Windows.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Brian W

Re: Cd Key

"Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]" <andred25@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> There are not upgrade versions of OEM Windows, its a full version, just
> does not upgrade existing installations, for that you need the retail FPP
> or Upgrade versions of Vista.

I've said this before, a generic OEM Vista disc will upgrade from an earlier
OS (I've done this with XP and it works and will activate over the
internet).