webcam being used by another application

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

mikeod

webcam being used by another application
Randomly, when i try to use my built in webcam, half the time it works, and
the other half it says it is being used by another application, when it
clearly isn't. I tried to restart my computer numerous times and it still
doesn't fix the problem. Any ideas?
Charlie Tame

Re: webcam being used by another application
mikeod wrote:
> Randomly, when i try to use my built in webcam, half the time it works, and
> the other half it says it is being used by another application, when it
> clearly isn't. I tried to restart my computer numerous times and it still
> doesn't fix the problem. Any ideas?

Be sure you don't have something like an instant messenger running but
hidden in the background
Kristan M. Kenney [MVP]

RE: webcam being used by another application
This may be caused by the driver for your webcam, and a compatbility issue
with Selective Suspend. Check to see if there is a newer driver available and
give it a shot. Also, check your settings for selective suspend by performing
the following:

1. Click on Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click on System and Maintenance and then click on Power Options.
3. Below your selected plan click on "change plan settings"
4. Click on "Change advanced power settings".
5. Double click or expand USB settings, USB selective suspend setting, and
set both "On battery" and "Plugged in" to Disabled.

NOTE: This may decrease the life of your battery slightly if you are using a
notebook computer.

Once you have performed the following, restart your computer and try putting
it into sleep or hibernation mode, resume the system, and see if you are
still being told that the webcam is in use by another application.

Hope this helps,
--
Regards,
Kristan M. Kenney