RE: webcam being used by another application
This may be caused by the driver for your webcam, and a compatbility issue
with Selective Suspend. Check to see if there is a newer driver available and
give it a shot. Also, check your settings for selective suspend by performing
1. Click on Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click on System and Maintenance and then click on Power Options.
3. Below your selected plan click on "change plan settings"
4. Click on "Change advanced power settings".
5. Double click or expand USB settings, USB selective suspend setting, and
set both "On battery" and "Plugged in" to Disabled.
NOTE: This may decrease the life of your battery slightly if you are using a
Once you have performed the following, restart your computer and try putting
it into sleep or hibernation mode, resume the system, and see if you are
still being told that the webcam is in use by another application.
Hope this helps,
Kristan M. Kenney
Microsoft MVP [Windows - Shell/User]
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> Randomly, when i try to use my built in webcam, half the time it works, and
> the other half it says it is being used by another application, when it
> clearly isn't. I tried to restart my computer numerous times and it still
> doesn't fix the problem. Any ideas?