Invalid Partition Table

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Gary

Invalid Partition Table
I have recently recieved my new quad duo computer, 4 GB Ram, 2 - 500 GB
drives mirrored in Raid0, etc., etc., etc.
When I first got the machine, it would boot up just fine.
Now after adding a couple of USB hard drives, and a few other USB things, on
boot-up I get "Invalid Partition Table" message.
If I ctrl-alt-del, it then re-boots just fine.
If I use the front panel power off/on switch, it then re-boots just fine.

But from a COLD boot, I constantly get the "invalid...." message.

I took it back to my provider, but they could not make it happen.
They said, that sometimes, because of the Raid, it takes things a few
microseconds to spin up before becoming "ready", and that may be causing my
problem. They suggested to plug the computer into a different/separate power
source than the rest of the peripherals.

I have done that... I had the computer all alone on a separate circuit, and
all the rest (display, USB drives, Bluetooth, etc.) on a separate circuit. I
started them all up first, then the computer.....still same result.

Because I can ctrl-alt-del to get it going, this is NOT earth-shattering,
but DAMMIT... I'd like to get rid of that message.

Any thoughts or suggestions ????

Thanks

Bob Harris

Re: Invalid Partition Table
Think about what you stated "they could not make it happen". This is
probably because "they" were not attaching all the devices you have.

Try unplugging all USB devices (except moues and keyboard and maybe printer,
if USB), until after the PC has booted into Windows. Unlike SCSI, USB is
really not intended for devices that are permanently attached to a PC. I
admit that many times a couple of extra USB devices will be tolerated, but
don't count on that. While in theory one can attach something like 126 USB
devices to a PC, don't believe that anything close to that will actually
work.

Also, beware of using USB hubs. I once had one that pulled just enough
power to prevent a Gateway computer from booting correctly.

Finally, check the BIOS settings. Modern PCs can boot from USB devices, but
unless you actually have an operating system on a USB device, don't ask for
the BIOS to look for bootable USB devices. Note that a non-bootable USB
hard drive might very well result in an invalid parition table error, if the
expectation is that the device has a valid boot record.

"Gary" <Fake@fake.com> wrote in message
>I have recently recieved my new quad duo computer, 4 GB Ram, 2 - 500 GB
>drives mirrored in Raid0, etc., etc., etc.
> When I first got the machine, it would boot up just fine.
> Now after adding a couple of USB hard drives, and a few other USB things,
> on boot-up I get "Invalid Partition Table" message.
> If I ctrl-alt-del, it then re-boots just fine.
> If I use the front panel power off/on switch, it then re-boots just fine.
>
> But from a COLD boot, I constantly get the "invalid...." message.
>
> I took it back to my provider, but they could not make it happen.
> They said, that sometimes, because of the Raid, it takes things a few
> microseconds to spin up before becoming "ready", and that may be causing
> my problem. They suggested to plug the computer into a different/separate
> power source than the rest of the peripherals.
>
> I have done that... I had the computer all alone on a separate circuit,
> and all the rest (display, USB drives, Bluetooth, etc.) on a separate
> circuit. I started them all up first, then the computer.....still same
> result.
>
> Because I can ctrl-alt-del to get it going, this is NOT earth-shattering,
> but DAMMIT... I'd like to get rid of that message.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions ????
>
> Thanks

Gary

Re: Invalid Partition Table
Bob, I do believe you have hit the nail on the head.

I (before I read your response), powered down my USB hard drives, then did a
cold boot of the system.
Up she came just dandy.

I also checked my BIOS, and yes, it had "Removable drives" first,
Hard disk second, and CD 3rd.
I changed it to Hard disk first, CD 2nd, and removable drives 3rd.

Presto.... all seems great now.

Thanks for the advice.