Microphone Volume control MISSING in Vista?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Peter Oliphant

Microphone Volume control MISSING in Vista?
I have Windows Vista Home Premium. Is there any way to adjust the volume
control of the microphone level manually like there always use to be?

The speech recognition portion of the Control Panel has a place to setup for
SR, but it seems pretty useless. If it hears ANYTHING from the microphone,
it passes! If it happens to notice it was too low a volume, a message that
comes back that says something like 'the sound was too low, hit 'Back' to
re-try'... but 'Back' isn't an option, only 'Next' and 'Cancel', and 'Next'
ALWAYS ays the microphone is ready. So this is definitely a bug, making me
worry that they forgot about microphone support to a great extent.

In none of this is there ANY way to adjust the volume of the microphone, and
it this SR microphone wizard doesn't adjust the volume at all, even if it
was too low!

There use to be a separate slider of the 'sound volume mixer' for this, but
the new one has no slot for 'microphone'. Or else this ability is burried
somewhere I can't find it...

I mean, at the very least, there should be a way to MUTE the microphone
input! Where are the microphone volume controls, or did this somehow slip
through the cracks (which is hard to believe)...?

[==Peter=]

PaulB

RE: Microphone Volume control MISSING in Vista?
Right click on the volume icon in the notification area. Select Recording
Devices.
Select Microphone then properties (lower right). Then select the levels tab.

--
Paul

"Peter Oliphant" wrote:

> I have Windows Vista Home Premium. Is there any way to adjust the volume
> control of the microphone level manually like there always use to be?
>
> The speech recognition portion of the Control Panel has a place to setup for
> SR, but it seems pretty useless. If it hears ANYTHING from the microphone,
> it passes! If it happens to notice it was too low a volume, a message that
> comes back that says something like 'the sound was too low, hit 'Back' to
> re-try'... but 'Back' isn't an option, only 'Next' and 'Cancel', and 'Next'
> ALWAYS ays the microphone is ready. So this is definitely a bug, making me
> worry that they forgot about microphone support to a great extent.
>
> In none of this is there ANY way to adjust the volume of the microphone, and
> it this SR microphone wizard doesn't adjust the volume at all, even if it
> was too low!
>
> There use to be a separate slider of the 'sound volume mixer' for this, but
> the new one has no slot for 'microphone'. Or else this ability is burried
> somewhere I can't find it...
>
> I mean, at the very least, there should be a way to MUTE the microphone
> input! Where are the microphone volume controls, or did this somehow slip
> through the cracks (which is hard to believe)...?
>
> [==Peter=]

Peter Oliphant

Re: Microphone Volume control MISSING in Vista?
Hi Paul!

Thanks for the response!

Yeah, you would think it would be there. But when I select 'Recording
Devices' it brings me to the Speech Recognition microphone supposed
calibration screen (as I described in my other post), with no manual
microphone control (e.g., slider) in sight!

And it seems like the microphone volume on my computer is set very low, so
this is a problem!

[==Peter==]

"PaulB" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Right click on the volume icon in the notification area. Select Recording
> Devices.
> Select Microphone then properties (lower right). Then select the levels
> tab.
>
> --
> Paul
>

> "Peter Oliphant" wrote:
>
>> I have Windows Vista Home Premium. Is there any way to adjust the volume
>> control of the microphone level manually like there always use to be?
>>
>> The speech recognition portion of the Control Panel has a place to setup
>> for
>> SR, but it seems pretty useless. If it hears ANYTHING from the
>> microphone,
>> it passes! If it happens to notice it was too low a volume, a message
>> that
>> comes back that says something like 'the sound was too low, hit 'Back' to
>> re-try'... but 'Back' isn't an option, only 'Next' and 'Cancel', and
>> 'Next'
>> ALWAYS ays the microphone is ready. So this is definitely a bug, making
>> me
>> worry that they forgot about microphone support to a great extent.
>>
>> In none of this is there ANY way to adjust the volume of the microphone,
>> and
>> it this SR microphone wizard doesn't adjust the volume at all, even if it
>> was too low!
>>
>> There use to be a separate slider of the 'sound volume mixer' for this,
>> but
>> the new one has no slot for 'microphone'. Or else this ability is burried
>> somewhere I can't find it...
>>
>> I mean, at the very least, there should be a way to MUTE the microphone
>> input! Where are the microphone volume controls, or did this somehow slip
>> through the cracks (which is hard to believe)...?
>>
>> [==Peter=]

Cal Bear '66

Re: Microphone Volume control MISSING in Vista?
You are pressing the Configure button (lower left). Press the Properties button
(lower right) to see the Levels tab in Recording > highlight Microphone.

I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Peter Oliphant" <poliphant@roundtripllc.com> wrote in message
> Hi Paul!
>
> Thanks for the response!
>
> Yeah, you would think it would be there. But when I select 'Recording Devices'
> it brings me to the Speech Recognition microphone supposed calibration screen
> (as I described in my other post), with no manual microphone control (e.g.,
> slider) in sight!
>
> And it seems like the microphone volume on my computer is set very low, so
> this is a problem!
>
> [==Peter==]
>
> "PaulB" <PaulB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Right click on the volume icon in the notification area. Select Recording
>> Devices.
>> Select Microphone then properties (lower right). Then select the levels tab.
>>
>> --
>> Paul
>>

>> "Peter Oliphant" wrote:
>>
>>> I have Windows Vista Home Premium. Is there any way to adjust the volume
>>> control of the microphone level manually like there always use to be?
>>>
>>> The speech recognition portion of the Control Panel has a place to setup for
>>> SR, but it seems pretty useless. If it hears ANYTHING from the microphone,
>>> it passes! If it happens to notice it was too low a volume, a message that
>>> comes back that says something like 'the sound was too low, hit 'Back' to
>>> re-try'... but 'Back' isn't an option, only 'Next' and 'Cancel', and 'Next'
>>> ALWAYS ays the microphone is ready. So this is definitely a bug, making me
>>> worry that they forgot about microphone support to a great extent.
>>>
>>> In none of this is there ANY way to adjust the volume of the microphone, and
>>> it this SR microphone wizard doesn't adjust the volume at all, even if it
>>> was too low!
>>>
>>> There use to be a separate slider of the 'sound volume mixer' for this, but
>>> the new one has no slot for 'microphone'. Or else this ability is burried
>>> somewhere I can't find it...
>>>
>>> I mean, at the very least, there should be a way to MUTE the microphone
>>> input! Where are the microphone volume controls, or did this somehow slip
>>> through the cracks (which is hard to believe)...?
>>>
>>> [==Peter=]

Kirstie Schweikert

volume control
I too am having the exact same issue. And I have tried configure as well as properties plus I also have Realtek HD Audio Control Panel. All te volume slider for Line In .. Mic In and for Headset for voice are set to maximum. Also when going thru the speech setup. the computer doesnt hear anything when I read the paragraph.

However I use 2 voice programs one being ventrilo (Output volume sliders also set to maximum) and MSN voice calls ( same agaoin with volume slider). I have used 2 different headsets with mics as well as the built in mic and speakers on the laptop .. People I speak to advise I am very quiet sound like Im in a tunnel and white noise in the background.

I never have these problems on my PC with XP with the same headsets. Is this a vista issue or is it a problem with the actual laptops because its very annoying as I use voice quite a lot on my computer.
Michelle G

Help please!
I have VERY LOW volume when I'm recording. It completely sucks. I went and right clicked on the volume icon in the lower left corner, then clicked on recording devices.

I got to the screen for levels, and my mic is at 7 - I increased it to 100 and hit ok on each of the little pop up screens it gives. However, when I recorded the level was still low. I went back into the recording devices and clicked on the levels tab again and it refuses to change the 7 to 100 no matter what I do. I tried many times.

Any advice?
Non Sequitur!

Re: Help please!
in the settings there is an advanced button to BOOST the level of the mic
reception

see these pages http://www.emachines.com/faq/vista/ck2007032052.html

and

http://c.skype.com/i/legacy/images/s...esmicboost.png

"Michelle G" wrote in message news:2008101618372sweetld215@gmail.com...
> I have VERY LOW volume when I'm recording. It completely sucks. I went and
> right clicked on the volume icon in the lower left corner, then clicked on
> recording devices.
>
> I got to the screen for levels, and my mic is at 7 - I increased it to 100
> and hit ok on each of the little pop up screens it gives. However, when I
> recorded the level was still low. I went back into the recording devices
> and clicked on the levels tab again and it refuses to change the 7 to 100
> no matter what I do. I tried many times.
>
> Any advice?

Mr. Arnold

Re: Help please!

"Non Sequitur!" wrote:

> in the settings there is an advanced button to BOOST the level of the mic
> reception
>
> see these pages http://www.emachines.com/faq/vista/ck2007032052.html
>
> and

And I have spoofed, and abused here for a long, long time.
But, I have been out-spoofed, and out-abused!
Congratulations to the Ultimate Spoofer / Abuser!
I hand over the Crown.

These are some of my Spoofs, and Aliases

Anti on Chicken Little(s)
Chicken Little Albright
Dan S-illy aka Barney Phife
Doctor Bee
General Paul Montgomery
General Paul Montgomery1
General Paul Montgomery2
General Paul Montgomery3
General Paul Montgomery4
General Paul Montgomery5
General Paul Montgomery6
General Paul Montgomery7
Hunting for JackA$$
Junk Yard Dog
Kotex Queen Clear Windows
Mick Murphy
Montgumdrop
Mr. Arnold
MontGumDropped1 Paul
Paul MontDenturesDropped
Paul Montgomery
Paul Montgomery 9000
Paul Montgumdrop
Pauly
Ringmonster
Sudden Impact
Tall Tales Albright
The Bee
The Big Ticket
The Hornet
Van Helsing the Albright Hunter

> http://c.skype.com/i/legacy/images/s...esmicboost.png
>
> "Michelle G" wrote in message news:2008101618372sweetld215@gmail.com...
> > I have VERY LOW volume when I'm recording. It completely sucks. I went and
> > right clicked on the volume icon in the lower left corner, then clicked on
> > recording devices.
> >
> > I got to the screen for levels, and my mic is at 7 - I increased it to 100
> > and hit ok on each of the little pop up screens it gives. However, when I
> > recorded the level was still low. I went back into the recording devices
> > and clicked on the levels tab again and it refuses to change the 7 to 100
> > no matter what I do. I tried many times.
> >
> > Any advice?

Paul Montgomery

Re: Help please!
Paul Montgomery wrote:
> <http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile/anti_troll_faq.htm>
>
> Subject: 4.5 Personal attacks on individuals and groups.
>
> Selected individuals are subjected to quite vicious
> personal attacks throughout usenet. Examples are: "X#$
> X#$!" "is a X$#" "is a X$#!" "is a
> X$x" "in X$#" "is
> a X$X" "is a X#$" "is a V$X just
> like X$#" "X#$"
> "Sexually harassed by" "X#$" "X#$
> PARTY" "X$#" "hated
> wherever he goes!" "X#$
>
> As will be seen several of these are libelous, and
> thus illegal
>
> Groups such as the regular posters are attacked similarly,
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Subject: 4.6 Forgeries
>
> They regularly forge the identities of posters who they do
> not like. This can vary from badly spelled versions of
> their name and/or email address, to forgeries which the
> average reader would not be able to detect.
>
> At times this can reach a bizarre condition where they
> troll using a forged identity at a Breidbart Index of well
> over 20. They then at every opportunity call the victim a
> troll.
>
> Larting the offender is often effective because ISPs recognise
> the seriousness of this offence.
>
> Where Forgery is done via an anonymous remailer complaints
> to abuse@thelastremailerinthechain may well be effective.
> The remailers administrators do not like their facilities
> being misused, and have ways of combatting this. It is
> also worth registering with
> http://www.paracrypt.com/remailerabuse/

mukhi28

Re: Microphone Volume control MISSING in Vista?

HI

My michrophone is working in recording mode in vista , but cannot hear
in playback. there is no option of mic settings in playback device
setting in mixer. how to control the volume in playback devices.

--
mukhi28
mukhi28's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/mukhi28.htm

http://forums.techarena.in