Vista not booting up

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Rajesh Shenoy

Vista not booting up
After nearly 10 months of peaceful usage on my home-assembled PC, Vista
Ultimate now refuses to boot up. This happened soon after installing last
Patch Tuesday's Windows Updates. It boots fine till the point where the
Windows Vista logo should appear (i.e., after the progress bar), after which
everything just freezes up. Turning on boot logging shows that all drivers
loaded properly. I tried all options in Safe Mode, Recovery Mode (by booting
from the Vista Setup DVD), disk scan, memory scan, etc. Strangely, running
Repair Windows by booting from the Vista Setup DVD also hangs the system.

Before I reformat my hard-disk, any other options I should try?

Thanks in advance!

- Rajesh

Andrew McLaren

Re: Vista not booting up
"Rajesh Shenoy" <rajesh_shenoy@hot_REMOVE_mail.com> wrote ...
> loaded properly. I tried all options in Safe Mode, Recovery Mode (by
> booting from the Vista Setup DVD), disk scan, memory scan, etc. Strangely,
> running Repair Windows by booting from the Vista Setup DVD also hangs the
> system.
> Before I reformat my hard-disk, any other options I should try?

Namaste, Rajesh!

The Startup Repair tool generates a log file as it runs. You can find this
log file at:

%windir%\Logs\Srttrail.txt

Even though the Repair appears to hang, you could examine this Srttrail.txt
file, to see if there are clues how far it got, and why it died. Boot from
DVD, go to Repair, Command prompt, and run "notepad
%windir%\Logs\Srttrail.txt".

Hope it helps a bit,

--
Andrew McLaren
amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au

Spirit

Re: Vista not booting up
How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
troubleshoot

and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Error message when you start Windows Vista: "The Windows Boot Configuration
Data file is missing required information"

startup repair, bootrec.exe and bcdedit.exe

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927391/en-us

What to do when Vista Crashes : Little known strategy - bootrec.exe

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...0000329&pgno=5

http://www.informationweek.com/galle...l?galleryID=44

5 ways to fix a non-booting Vista installation

http://microsoftvista2006.blogspot.c...n-booting.html

"Rajesh Shenoy" <rajesh_shenoy@hot_REMOVE_mail.com> wrote in message
> After nearly 10 months of peaceful usage on my home-assembled PC, Vista
> Ultimate now refuses to boot up. This happened soon after installing last
> Patch Tuesday's Windows Updates. It boots fine till the point where the
> Windows Vista logo should appear (i.e., after the progress bar), after
> which everything just freezes up. Turning on boot logging shows that all
> drivers loaded properly. I tried all options in Safe Mode, Recovery Mode
> (by booting from the Vista Setup DVD), disk scan, memory scan, etc.
> Strangely, running Repair Windows by booting from the Vista Setup DVD also
> hangs the system.
>
> Before I reformat my hard-disk, any other options I should try?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> - Rajesh

WGD

Re: Vista not booting up
See my posting above, pulled from another (non-PC related) newsgroup.
Is the solution hogwash? I do not know, just making Vista users aware of
what "might" be going on.
A MS MVP should have a more complete answer.

WGD

"Rajesh Shenoy" <rajesh_shenoy@hot_REMOVE_mail.com> wrote in message
> After nearly 10 months of peaceful usage on my home-assembled PC, Vista
> Ultimate now refuses to boot up. This happened soon after installing last
> Patch Tuesday's Windows Updates. It boots fine till the point where the
> Windows Vista logo should appear (i.e., after the progress bar), after
> which everything just freezes up. Turning on boot logging shows that all
> drivers loaded properly. I tried all options in Safe Mode, Recovery Mode
> (by booting from the Vista Setup DVD), disk scan, memory scan, etc.
> Strangely, running Repair Windows by booting from the Vista Setup DVD also
> hangs the system.
>
> Before I reformat my hard-disk, any other options I should try?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> - Rajesh

Malke

Re: Vista not booting up
WGD wrote:
> See my posting above, pulled from another (non-PC related) newsgroup.
> Is the solution hogwash? I do not know, just making Vista users aware of
> what "might" be going on.
> A MS MVP should have a more complete answer.

See the answers to your referenced posting. BBSpot is a well-known humor
site and you've apparently failed to realize their articles are jokes.
So it would be good if you stopped compounding your mistake by pointing
to the BBSpot article as a solution!

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers