side by side error

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Nora

side by side error
I am recieving the same error when I try to open both Windows Media Player
and Windows Photo Gallery. This error has only occured in the past month when
I first started using Vista both programs worked great now I get the
following error :
The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration
is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.
In the event log there is nothing any help on how to fix this problem would
be greatly appreciated.
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: side by side error
Nora

The "side-by-side" component is associated with the Vista Windows Resource
Protection (WRP). You may have a corrupted file in the SxS folder.

To resolve this issue, use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to repair
these files.
To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All
Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run
as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a
confirmation, type the password, or click Allow/Continue.

2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
sfc /scannow
(The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces
incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.)

This may take some time to run, so be patient.

Let us know the results.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Nora" <Nora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am recieving the same error when I try to open both Windows Media Player
> and Windows Photo Gallery. This error has only occured in the past month
> when
> I first started using Vista both programs worked great now I get the
> following error :
> The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration
> is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.
> In the event log there is nothing any help on how to fix this problem
> would
> be greatly appreciated.

Nora

Re: side by side error
Okay I tried to do the sfc scan it began the verification phase got to 43%
then it says windows resource protection could not perform the requested
operation. I tried it a couple more times just to see if it would work and it
still comes up with that it can't perform the requested operation. Any
suggestions on how to fix that or any other suggestions on how to fix the

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Nora
>
> The "side-by-side" component is associated with the Vista Windows Resource
> Protection (WRP). You may have a corrupted file in the SxS folder.
>
> To resolve this issue, use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to repair
> these files.
> To do this, follow these steps:
>
> 1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All
> Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run
> as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a
> confirmation, type the password, or click Allow/Continue.
>
> 2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
> sfc /scannow
> (The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces
> incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.)
>
> This may take some time to run, so be patient.
>
> Let us know the results.
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Nora" <Nora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am recieving the same error when I try to open both Windows Media Player
> > and Windows Photo Gallery. This error has only occured in the past month
> > when
> > I first started using Vista both programs worked great now I get the
> > following error :
> > The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration
> > is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.
> > In the event log there is nothing any help on how to fix this problem
> > would
> > be greatly appreciated.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: side by side error
Nora

Try running sfc /scannow in Safe Mode.

Reboot the computer and start tapping the F8 Key as soon as the computer
starts to boot. Keep tapping the key until you see a black screen with a
menu.

Use the Arrow Keys to select Safe Mode. It will take a few minutes to boot
to safe mode. Once there, follow the same steps to run the system file
checker.

--

> Okay I tried to do the sfc scan it began the verification phase got to 43%
> then it says windows resource protection could not perform the requested
> operation. I tried it a couple more times just to see if it would work and
> it
> still comes up with that it can't perform the requested operation. Any
> suggestions on how to fix that or any other suggestions on how to fix the
> problem would be greatly appreciated.
>

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Nora
>>
>> The "side-by-side" component is associated with the Vista Windows
>> Resource
>> Protection (WRP). You may have a corrupted file in the SxS folder.
>>
>> To resolve this issue, use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to
>> repair
>> these files.
>> To do this, follow these steps:
>>
>> 1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All
>> Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click
>> Run
>> as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or
>> for a
>> confirmation, type the password, or click Allow/Continue.
>>
>> 2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
>> sfc /scannow
>> (The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces
>> incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.)
>>
>> This may take some time to run, so be patient.
>>
>> Let us know the results.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Nora" <Nora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am recieving the same error when I try to open both Windows Media
>> >Player
>> > and Windows Photo Gallery. This error has only occured in the past
>> > month
>> > when
>> > I first started using Vista both programs worked great now I get the
>> > following error :
>> > The application has failed to start because its side-by-side
>> > configuration
>> > is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.
>> > In the event log there is nothing any help on how to fix this problem
>> > would
>> > be greatly appreciated.

Nora

Re: side by side error
Okay also tried in safe mode and got the same message windows resource
protection could not perform the requested operation and it comes up right
after it gets to 43% in the verification process. Any other suggestions on
how to fix this or the original problem would be greatly appreciated

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Nora
>
> Try running sfc /scannow in Safe Mode.
>
> Reboot the computer and start tapping the F8 Key as soon as the computer
> starts to boot. Keep tapping the key until you see a black screen with a
> menu.
>
> Use the Arrow Keys to select Safe Mode. It will take a few minutes to boot
> to safe mode. Once there, follow the same steps to run the system file
> checker.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Nora" <Nora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Okay I tried to do the sfc scan it began the verification phase got to 43%
> > then it says windows resource protection could not perform the requested
> > operation. I tried it a couple more times just to see if it would work and
> > it
> > still comes up with that it can't perform the requested operation. Any
> > suggestions on how to fix that or any other suggestions on how to fix the
> > problem would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Nora
> >>
> >> The "side-by-side" component is associated with the Vista Windows
> >> Resource
> >> Protection (WRP). You may have a corrupted file in the SxS folder.
> >>
> >> To resolve this issue, use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to
> >> repair
> >> these files.
> >> To do this, follow these steps:
> >>
> >> 1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All
> >> Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click
> >> Run
> >> as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or
> >> for a
> >> confirmation, type the password, or click Allow/Continue.
> >>
> >> 2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
> >> sfc /scannow
> >> (The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces
> >> incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.)
> >>
> >> This may take some time to run, so be patient.
> >>
> >> Let us know the results.
> >>

> >> --
> >>
> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User

Steven Wabik

Re: side by side error
well, what are some of the details that it gives you in the event log?
knowing those may help. and what version of vista do you have?
> Okay also tried in safe mode and got the same message windows resource
> protection could not perform the requested operation and it comes up right
> after it gets to 43% in the verification process. Any other suggestions on
> how to fix this or the original problem would be greatly appreciated
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> Nora
>>
>> Try running sfc /scannow in Safe Mode.
>>
>> Reboot the computer and start tapping the F8 Key as soon as the computer
>> starts to boot. Keep tapping the key until you see a black screen with a
>> menu.
>>
>> Use the Arrow Keys to select Safe Mode. It will take a few minutes to
>> boot
>> to safe mode. Once there, follow the same steps to run the system file
>> checker.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Nora" <Nora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Okay I tried to do the sfc scan it began the verification phase got to
>> > 43%
>> > then it says windows resource protection could not perform the
>> > requested
>> > operation. I tried it a couple more times just to see if it would work
>> > and
>> > it
>> > still comes up with that it can't perform the requested operation. Any
>> > suggestions on how to fix that or any other suggestions on how to fix
>> > the
>> > problem would be greatly appreciated.

Nora

Re: side by side error
Thats the problem there is nothing in the event log about the side by side
error which is one of the reason i have no idea how to fix it. Also I'm using
Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium edition.

"Steven Wabik" wrote:

> well, what are some of the details that it gives you in the event log?
> knowing those may help. and what version of vista do you have?
> "Nora" <Nora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Okay also tried in safe mode and got the same message windows resource
> > protection could not perform the requested operation and it comes up right
> > after it gets to 43% in the verification process. Any other suggestions on
> > how to fix this or the original problem would be greatly appreciated
> >
> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Nora
> >>
> >> Try running sfc /scannow in Safe Mode.
> >>
> >> Reboot the computer and start tapping the F8 Key as soon as the computer
> >> starts to boot. Keep tapping the key until you see a black screen with a
> >> menu.
> >>
> >> Use the Arrow Keys to select Safe Mode. It will take a few minutes to
> >> boot
> >> to safe mode. Once there, follow the same steps to run the system file
> >> checker.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Shell/User

Steven Wabik

Re: side by side error
do you have an OEM or retail edition of vista? if vista came preinstalled on
your PC, try contcting the manufacturer of the PC for help. they might have
a solution. or they may just tell you to reinstall the OS eventually...
another idea is to update the OS with all the availible updates if you have
not already done so. that always helps with something...
> Thats the problem there is nothing in the event log about the side by side
> error which is one of the reason i have no idea how to fix it. Also I'm
> using
> Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium edition.
>
> "Steven Wabik" wrote:
>
>> well, what are some of the details that it gives you in the event log?
>> knowing those may help. and what version of vista do you have?
>> "Nora" <Nora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Okay also tried in safe mode and got the same message windows resource
>> > protection could not perform the requested operation and it comes up
>> > right
>> > after it gets to 43% in the verification process. Any other suggestions
>> > on
>> > how to fix this or the original problem would be greatly appreciated

Nora

Re: side by side error
My vista came preinstalled on my Dell computer. I contacted dell tech support
first they were of zero help they basically told me there was no fix and to
restore my computer to a previous date. Also i have done all available
updates. Thanks for the suggestions though. Have any more ideas how you think
i can solve this would be greatly appreciated.

"Steven Wabik" wrote:

> do you have an OEM or retail edition of vista? if vista came preinstalled on
> your PC, try contcting the manufacturer of the PC for help. they might have
> a solution. or they may just tell you to reinstall the OS eventually...
> another idea is to update the OS with all the availible updates if you have
> not already done so. that always helps with something...
> "Nora" <Nora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thats the problem there is nothing in the event log about the side by side
> > error which is one of the reason i have no idea how to fix it. Also I'm
> > using
> > Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium edition.
> >
> > "Steven Wabik" wrote:
> >
> >> well, what are some of the details that it gives you in the event log?
> >> knowing those may help. and what version of vista do you have?

Spikey

Re: side by side error

I think the problem is related to Vista's (Windows Resource Protection)
aka (Data Execution Protection) in XP, I had a simular problem in XP and
disabled DEP to fix it, I haven't tried it in Vista yet, I am getting
the same error code in Vista too so I will be trying this when I get
home. I will post my findings.

--
Spikey