online problems: lag on online games and very slow download speeds

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

James Brown

online problems: lag on online games and very slow download speeds
Hi there
Currently I have two problems
1. Every time I try to play battlefield 2142 online it works fine except
that it hangs up every now and again with the message there is a problem with
your connection. It will once every minute or so and has rendered the game
near unplayable. I have tried it on every quality setting (though I can
handle best quality on offline play easily) and on many different servers all
ports are open and according to uotrace a tool suggested by EA my conection
to servers is excellent.
2. Using Utorrent I am experiencing very very slow upload and download
speeds in the region of <1 kbps. The port is forwarded correctly and the
torrents are healthy.

My specs
Am using a D-Link usb adaptor (DWL-G122 Ver C) with wireless router (DSL
-G604T) with a pipex max acoount (advertised 8mb speed test shows download
speed of 5429 kbps and upload of 380 kbps) vista says signal strength is
excellent and is running at 54mbps.
Computer is new with vista home premium pre installed with a windows score
of 5.2 (so should have no problems playing games).
I have also installed Vista anti lag to try and combat the problem which
says my connection strength is 63% and has helped somewhat with my gaming
problem but not enough.

Hopefully I have provided enough info if any more is needed just ask and any
help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.
Dave

Re: online problems: lag on online games and very slow download speeds

"James Brown" <James Brown@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there
> Currently I have two problems
> 1. Every time I try to play battlefield 2142 online it works fine except
> that it hangs up every now and again with the message there is a problem
> with
> your connection. It will once every minute or so and has rendered the
> game
> near unplayable. I have tried it on every quality setting (though I can
> handle best quality on offline play easily) and on many different servers
> all
> ports are open and according to uotrace a tool suggested by EA my
> conection
> to servers is excellent.
> 2. Using Utorrent I am experiencing very very slow upload and download
> speeds in the region of <1 kbps. The port is forwarded correctly and the
> torrents are healthy.
>
> My specs
> Am using a D-Link usb adaptor (DWL-G122 Ver C) with wireless router (DSL
> -G604T) with a pipex max acoount (advertised 8mb speed test shows download
> speed of 5429 kbps and upload of 380 kbps) vista says signal strength is
> excellent and is running at 54mbps.
> Computer is new with vista home premium pre installed with a windows score
> of 5.2 (so should have no problems playing games).
> I have also installed Vista anti lag to try and combat the problem which
> says my connection strength is 63% and has helped somewhat with my gaming
> problem but not enough.
>
> Hopefully I have provided enough info if any more is needed just ask and
> any
> help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Have you made sure the firmware for your usb wifi dongle and router is up to
date?

Having played a lot of the Battlefield games it is common to get the
'problem with your connection' message and I'm on a wired connection

Can you temporarily connect to your router via a network cable or borrow a
wireless networking card (if you have a desktop pc?) I've heard getting your
internet connection via usb can be a bit dodgy at times

Iskevosi

Re: online problems: lag on online games and very slow download speeds

Hi there, I am having the smae issue with playing online games, such as
Vanguard too. I could be half way through a fight and the whole thing
hangs for a moment or two. When it comes back I found that the rest of
my group have killed the target and moved onto the next mob 20m away.

The one thing we have in commong id the D-Link DWL-G122. Now I am
running Vista x64 and there are NO drivers on the D-Link site that match
the my Revision C version 3.10 model. There are drivers for version
3.01 but only XP drivers for 3.10. So I did some hunting on the Internet
and found some drivers. Now these seem to work but not that well. I
still have the same issues.

I am now getting close to ordering a new USB WiFi dongle.

--
Iskevosi
~Alex~.:MVP Windows Shell/User:.

Re: online problems: lag on online games and very slow download speeds
Well my first suggestion would be to install the Vista drivers again. From
there you can try to force install the XP driver. Just download them.
Right click on them and use the Compatibility tab and run it under XP SP2
and see if they install and work for you. If not contact DLink to find out
if and when they plan on getting out new drivers.

--
~Alex T~
..:~A.K.A. Makaveli213~:.

"Iskevosi" <Iskevosi.33l1j8@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Hi there, I am having the smae issue with playing online games, such as
> Vanguard too. I could be half way through a fight and the whole thing
> hangs for a moment or two. When it comes back I found that the rest of
> my group have killed the target and moved onto the next mob 20m away.
>

> The one thing we have in commong id the D-Link DWL-G122. Now I am
> running Vista x64 and there are NO drivers on the D-Link site that match
> the my Revision C version 3.10 model. There are drivers for version
> 3.01 but only XP drivers for 3.10. So I did some hunting on the Internet
> and found some drivers. Now these seem to work but not that well. I
> still have the same issues.
>
> I am now getting close to ordering a new USB WiFi dongle.
>

> --
> Iskevosi

Curt

Re: online problems: lag on online games and very slow download speeds
Is network discovery on?

"~Alex~.:MVP Windows Shell/User:." <makaveli213@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Well my first suggestion would be to install the Vista drivers again.
> From there you can try to force install the XP driver. Just download
> them. Right click on them and use the Compatibility tab and run it under
> XP SP2 and see if they install and work for you. If not contact DLink to
> find out if and when they plan on getting out new drivers.
>
> --
> ~Alex T~
> .:~A.K.A. Makaveli213~:.
> .:MVP Windows Shell/User:.
>
> "Iskevosi" <Iskevosi.33l1j8@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi there, I am having the smae issue with playing online games, such as
>> Vanguard too. I could be half way through a fight and the whole thing
>> hangs for a moment or two. When it comes back I found that the rest of
>> my group have killed the target and moved onto the next mob 20m away.
>>

>> The one thing we have in commong id the D-Link DWL-G122. Now I am
>> running Vista x64 and there are NO drivers on the D-Link site that match
>> the my Revision C version 3.10 model. There are drivers for version
>> 3.01 but only XP drivers for 3.10. So I did some hunting on the Internet
>> and found some drivers. Now these seem to work but not that well. I
>> still have the same issues.
>>
>> I am now getting close to ordering a new USB WiFi dongle.
>>

>> --
>> Iskevosi

Iskevosi

Re: online problems: lag on online games and very slow download speeds

No, Network Discovery is not on. Why? Do you believe this would cause a
problem.

--
Iskevosi

- intel core 2 quad q6600 @ 2.40ghz overclocked to 3.25ghz
- tuniq tower 120 pro blue led cooler
- abit ip35-pro intel p35 motherboard
- crucial 4gb ballistix tracer pc2-8500 cas5 2x (2x1gb match pair)
overclocked at 1000mhz+
- 500gb western digital 16mb cache sata-2 hard drive
- bfg nvidia 8800 gtx 768mb oc
- antec nine hundred gamers atx case
- ocz 1010w next generation power supply
- samsung 22\" 2ms lcd monitor
- logitech g11 gaming keyboard
- logitech laser mouse
Silentmist0487

Re: online problems: lag on online games and very slow download speeds

Yeah so i play a wide variety of online pc games and every single one of
them has 5-30 lag spikes quite frequently... i am really looking forward
to warhammer when it comes out but i want this lag to stop before it
come out... i am not to computer smart but i know enoguh to get by but
i cant fix this problem... i have tried all of the things previously
suggested and it still does it...

I am running:
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600
3G Ram
640G Harddrive
Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS
Built in Wireless
and Vista Home Premium....

Please help if you can i feel like time is running out

--
Silentmist0487
Silentmist0487's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=50619

http://forums.techarena.in