How do u delete every thing to reinstall vista?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

folk_blue

How do u delete every thing to reinstall vista?
I got a D:\ n C:\ drives. I wanna reinstall vista on both of them. How do i
get rid of every thing on the drives?

Dwarf

RE: How do u delete every thing to reinstall vista?

"folk_blue" wrote:

> I got a D:\ n C:\ drives. I wanna reinstall vista on both of them. How do i
> get rid of every thing on the drives?

Simply select the option to format your drive when doing the reinstallation.
Alternatively, if you have an older version of Windows such as Windows 98,
you could start a setup from this and use FDisk to delete the partition
tables on the drives.
Saucy

"folk_blue" <u37417@uwe> wrote in message news:782c77ce39179@uwe...
>I got a D:\ n C:\ drives. I wanna reinstall vista on both of them. How do i
> get rid of every thing on the drives?

Easy. There's a number of ways to skin this cat. Here's just one:

If you have a Windows XP disc about, simply boot from that and make the
motions of installing Windows XP. When you get to the section of the
installation where you can delete and add partitions, simply delete the
existing partitions. Immediately thereafter, use the F3 key to abort the
installation. You can reboot the computer and use the XP disc's Recovery
Console's diskpart utility to create and format new partitions [hit 'R' for
Recovery Console when the option appears]. Exit, then boot from the WIndows
Vista disc and you are on your way ..

Saucy

folk_blue

Re: How do u delete every thing to reinstall vista?
I have windows vista on both of them. i wanna clear both cuz i got to much
stuff on it.

JethroUK

"Saucy" <saucy538347334873772.sjhdf@net.net.net> wrote in message
> "folk_blue" <u37417@uwe> wrote in message news:782c77ce39179@uwe...
>>I got a D:\ n C:\ drives. I wanna reinstall vista on both of them. How do
>> get rid of every thing on the drives?
>>

> Easy. There's a number of ways to skin this cat. Here's just one:
>
> If you have a Windows XP disc about, simply boot from that and make the
> motions of installing Windows XP. When you get to the section of the
> installation where you can delete and add partitions, simply delete the
> existing partitions. Immediately thereafter, use the F3 key to abort the
> installation. You can reboot the computer and use the XP disc's Recovery
> Console's diskpart utility to create and format new partitions [hit 'R'
> for Recovery Console when the option appears]. Exit, then boot from the
> WIndows Vista disc and you are on your way ..

Easy? sounds very confuddling to me - why do you need XP disc ????

Just put in the Vista Disc - reboot and follow the wizard for a Clean
install

JethroUK

Re: How do u delete every thing to reinstall vista?
You might want to clear both drives but you don't need to install Vista on
both

1/ Put in your Vista disc
2/ Boot up your computer
3/ Follow the wizard for a 'Clean' install (not repair)
4/ Format C: drive and let it install
5/ Once installed just delete everything off D: drive or format it from
windows

"folk_blue" <u37417@uwe> wrote in message news:782cdbb332a79@uwe...
>I have windows vista on both of them. i wanna clear both cuz i got to much
> stuff on it.

John Barnes

Re: How do u delete every thing to reinstall vista?
Don't use the XP disk to format your Vista drive, do it during the Vista
installs. XP has a different version of NTFS.

"folk_blue" <u37417@uwe> wrote in message news:782cdbb332a79@uwe...
>I have windows vista on both of them. i wanna clear both cuz i got to much
> stuff on it.

Saucy

"JethroUK" <reply@the.board> wrote in message

> "Saucy" <saucy538347334873772.sjhdf@net.net.net> wrote in message
>> "folk_blue" <u37417@uwe> wrote in message news:782c77ce39179@uwe...
>>>I got a D:\ n C:\ drives. I wanna reinstall vista on both of them. How do
>>> get rid of every thing on the drives?
>>>

>> Easy. There's a number of ways to skin this cat. Here's just one:
>>
>> If you have a Windows XP disc about, simply boot from that and make the
>> motions of installing Windows XP. When you get to the section of the
>> installation where you can delete and add partitions, simply delete the
>> existing partitions. Immediately thereafter, use the F3 key to abort the
>> installation. You can reboot the computer and use the XP disc's Recovery
>> Console's diskpart utility to create and format new partitions [hit 'R'
>> for Recovery Console when the option appears]. Exit, then boot from the
>> WIndows Vista disc and you are on your way ..
>>

> Easy? sounds very confuddling to me - why do you need XP disc ????
>
> Just put in the Vista Disc - reboot and follow the wizard for a Clean
> install

It's easy. All's that is happening is that the XP disc is used to remove the
paritions - that's it, F3 out.

Saucy

Saucy

> Don't use the XP disk to format your Vista drive, do it during the Vista
> installs. XP has a different version of NTFS.
> < chop >

Are you sure about that? I think you are mistaken.

At the command prompt:

fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c:
[Enter]

reports the same version on both a Vista formatted partition and an XP
formatted partition i.e.: NTFS 3.1

Saucy

folk_blue

Re: How do u delete every thing to reinstall vista?
i got vista cd in rebooted press f 12 n booted from sd rom drive n it just
boots up windows n dont boot disk. what yall think?