can't delete need permission

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Richard

can't delete need permission
I want to delete a file in the program files but it says I need permission.
How can I delete the file?

brink

Re: can't delete need permission

Richard;446927 Wrote:
> I want to delete a file in the program files but it says I need
> permission.
> How can I delete the file?

Hi Richard,

Check and make sure that the file is not in use by checking in Task
Manager. If it is not in use, you will probably need to take ownership
of the file first, then you should be able to delete it. This tutorial
will show you how.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html

Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*
uvbogden

RE: can't delete need permission
You can find how to grant yourself permission to modify most files at the
following link. Please note that some files are more difficult than others
to take permission of.

"Richard" wrote:

> I want to delete a file in the program files but it says I need permission.
> How can I delete the file?

Rick Rogers

Re: can't delete need permission
Hi Richard,

You simply need elevated privileges within that folder for certain tasks.
Changing permissions will pose a security risk.

Click start and type CMD. Right click the command prompt, choose 'run as
administrator'. From the prompt, run

CD \Program Files

Now run

DEL <file_name>

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Richard" <miller039@cox.net> wrote in message
>I want to delete a file in the program files but it says I need permission.
>How can I delete the file?

The Traveller

Re: can't delete need permission
On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 19:17:38 -0400, "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Hi Richard,
>
>You simply need elevated privileges within that folder for certain tasks.
>Changing permissions will pose a security risk.
>
>Click start and type CMD. Right click the command prompt, choose 'run as
>administrator'. From the prompt, run
>
>CD \Program Files
>
>Now run
>
>DEL <file_name>

Hmm... this does NOT always work.

I had to right-click on the target file and delve into the more
esoteric parameters (i.e. stuff which is familiar to system admin's
but NOT to common users).

Even though Vista says that you have full admin privileges, it still
doesn't let you delete certain files. My problem was with a poorly
written application which once uninstalled, left useless files on the
system. Even as the ADMIN, I could not delete them (no, they were not
in use).

I believe that UAC is way too inflexible and complicated for the
common computer user. I can just see granny "Y" having to become a
MCSE (et al) just to be able to get rid of certain rogue files.

By the way, I no longer have as many problems since I totally disabled
UAC.

______________________

The Traveller
Oceanside, California
dennis@home

"The Traveller" <The_Traveller@noapsmfor.me> wrote in message

> I believe that UAC is way too inflexible and complicated for the
> common computer user. I can just see granny "Y" having to become a
> MCSE (et al) just to be able to get rid of certain rogue files.

How is "granny" going to get the rogue files?

> By the way, I no longer have as many problems since I totally disabled
> UAC.

Hello granny. <waves> ;-)