Problem opening .rtf files with ms works

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Steve N.

Problem opening .rtf files with ms works
I set ms works to be my default program for .rtf file types. If I double
click on an .rtf document, vista initiates works and displays an error:
"works was unable to open the project you selected. The file may be
corruped." However, the file isn't corrupted because I am able to open a new
works document and pull up the .rtf file, view it, and save it. After saving
I am still unable to pull it directly by double clicking on the file. Any
suggestions?
Jon

Re: Problem opening .rtf files with ms works

"Steve N." <Steve N.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I set ms works to be my default program for .rtf file types. If I double
> click on an .rtf document, vista initiates works and displays an error:
> "works was unable to open the project you selected. The file may be
> corruped." However, the file isn't corrupted because I am able to open a
> new
> works document and pull up the .rtf file, view it, and save it. After
> saving
> I am still unable to pull it directly by double clicking on the file. Any
> suggestions?

The default is for Works to perhaps to try and open it up as a .wps file,
whereas there is an option within the program to import it as an rtf file.
You could always save your file with the .wps extension.

There may be a way you could tweak the association for .rtf files in the
registry, eg a command line option for launching the main executable, but
I'm not aware of one offhand.

--
Jon

dean-dean

Re: Problem opening .rtf files with ms works
You have to associate the file with Microsoft Works Word Processor
(WksWP.exe), and not Microsoft Works (MSWorks.exe). To change the
association, right click on an .rtf file, and choose Open With, and then
browse to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works folder. Choose WksWP.exe.
This should eliminate the error you're seeing.

"Steve N." <Steve N.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I set ms works to be my default program for .rtf file types. If I double
> click on an .rtf document, vista initiates works and displays an error:
> "works was unable to open the project you selected. The file may be
> corruped." However, the file isn't corrupted because I am able to open a
> new
> works document and pull up the .rtf file, view it, and save it. After
> saving
> I am still unable to pull it directly by double clicking on the file. Any
> suggestions?

Steve N.

Re: Problem opening .rtf files with ms works
dean-dean thanks for your help - solved the problemm