System restore not working!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

wrathofpaulii

System restore not working!
I tried to restore my computer to an earlier state but after it does
everything and restarts i get the message "system restore has encountered a
problem. no changes were made to your computer" it says the reason is
"unknown error" does anyone else have this in Vista?
philo

Re: System restore not working!

"wrathofpaulii" <wrathofpaulii@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I tried to restore my computer to an earlier state but after it does
> everything and restarts i get the message "system restore has encountered

> problem. no changes were made to your computer" it says the reason is
> "unknown error" does anyone else have this in Vista?

run some H/W diagnostics such as the mfg's HD test utility
and a good RAM test

Chad Harris

Re: System restore not working!
Hello wop--

There are situations where restore points are corrupted. I don't know what
the particular error was that you encountered.

We also don't know (because you didn't say) exactly what you wanted to fix.
I'd try all restore points and all options to fix whatever problem you have.
That'd be these:

You should try system restore from every other safe mode @ F8 (Windows
Advanced Options Menu)

Think: I have 4 different ways to get back my XP at F8 and try 'em in order.
1) Safe Mode 2) Safe Mode with Cmd to Sys Restore which is simply a cmd
prompt in safe mode 3) Safe Mode with Neworking 4) LKG or Last Known Good
Configuration (I know you have tried LKG).

and 2) also put in that Vista DVD and *try System restore from the Recovery
link

The link looks like this pic at the bottom here:
http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/part1.htm

http://www.vistaclues.com/wp-content...r-computer.png

You can also try SFC if you can boot to Vista and Startup Repair as well
whether you can or can't boot to Vista and a repair install:

***SFC as a Remedy***:

SFC or System File Checker is a bit like the spare tire in your car or a
backup battery I suppose. In Vista of course, they have changed it somewhat
and come up with a new name--Redmond stands for name it something different
twice a year and now it's part of WRP or Windows Resource Protection. It
scans protected resources including thousands of files, libraries, critical
folders, and essential registry keys, and it replaces those that are
corrupted with intact ones. It fixes a lot of problems in Windows XP, OE,
Windows Vista, Win Mail, IE6, and on Vista or if it is installed on XP, IE7.
It protects these things from changes by any source including
administrators, by keeping a spare of most of them.

How to Run SFC:

Type "cmd" into the Search box above the Start Button>and when cmd comes up
at the top of the Start menu>right click cmd and click "run as Admin" and
when the cmd prompt comes up at the cmd prompt type "sfc /scannow" no quotes
and let it run. This may fix things quite a bit. It replaces corrupt files
with intact ones, if you're not familiar with it.

If no help from SFC, you can try a restore point to before this happened or
you try the steps below if you have a Vista DVD:

***Startup Repair from the Vista DVD***

How to Use The Vista DVD to Repair Vista (Startup Repair is misnamed by the
Win RE team and it can be used to fix many Vista components even when you
can boot to Vista):

http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

If you elect to run Startup repair from the Vista DVD (it can fix major
components in Vista--I've verified this many many times; it's good for more
than startup problems, and the Win RE team simply screwed up when they named
it not understanding its full functionality):

Startup Repair will look like this when you put in the Vista DVD:

http://www.vistaclues.com/wp-content...r-computer.png

You run the startup repair tool this way (and system restore from here is
also sometimes effective):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925810/en-us

How To Run Startup Repair In Vista Ultimate (Multiple Screenshots)
http://www.windowsvista.windowsreins...rtup/index.htm

It will automatically take you to this on your screen:

http://www.vistaclues.com/wp-content...r-computer.png

That will allow you to go to the Vista setup that has a Repair link on
thelower left corner>click it and then you'll see a gray backgrounded list
and I want you to click Startup Repair from it and follow the directions.

The gray screen after you click the first link in the above pic will look
like this:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winv...ir/Image17.gif

Click Startup Repair, the link at the top and after it scans>click OK and
let it try to repair Vista. It will tell you if it does, and if it
doesn't, try System Restore from the Recovery Link on the DVD. If these
don't work booting into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key and using System
Restore from one of the safe modes besides VGA may work. That means you
have the option to try 4 different safe modes to get to system restore, (one
from the Recovery link on the DVD) and sometimes one will work when the
others won't.

I'd try a repair install with your Vista DVD. You do it the same way as
in XP:

***Repair Install Steps*** (can be used for Vista) MVP Doug Knox
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx

Good luck,

CH
"wrathofpaulii" <wrathofpaulii@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried to restore my computer to an earlier state but after it does
> everything and restarts i get the message "system restore has encountered
> problem. no changes were made to your computer" it says the reason is
> "unknown error" does anyone else have this in Vista?

Bert Kinney

Re: System restore not working!
Hi,

Are there any Norton applications installed? If so read this.
"Restoration Incomplete. Your computer cannot be restored . . . "
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html

Another option is to run System Restore from System Recovery Options:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/recovery.html

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

wrathofpaulii wrote:
> I tried to restore my computer to an earlier state but after it does
> everything and restarts i get the message "system restore has encountered a
> problem. no changes were made to your computer" it says the reason is
> "unknown error" does anyone else have this in Vista?

Lang Murphy

Re: System restore not working!
"wrathofpaulii" <wrathofpaulii@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried to restore my computer to an earlier state but after it does
> everything and restarts i get the message "system restore has encountered
> problem. no changes were made to your computer" it says the reason is
> "unknown error" does anyone else have this in Vista?

Are you dual booting XP and Vista?

Lang

marty

RE: System restore not working!
system restore will not restore if you are running any norton anti virus you
must disable it first this may be applicable to other security software also
but can't be sure on that as i run norton
--
martyb

"wrathofpaulii" wrote:

> I tried to restore my computer to an earlier state but after it does
> everything and restarts i get the message "system restore has encountered a
> problem. no changes were made to your computer" it says the reason is
> "unknown error" does anyone else have this in Vista?

kellyky

RE: System restore not working!
it happened to me too, it's really giving me a headache not only this it also
give problem from using excel 2007, did you resolve the problem yet?

"wrathofpaulii" wrote:

> I tried to restore my computer to an earlier state but after it does
> everything and restarts i get the message "system restore has encountered a
> problem. no changes were made to your computer" it says the reason is
> "unknown error" does anyone else have this in Vista?

Photo guy

RE: System restore not working!
I thought that too, but even after turning all norton services off, still
have the same problem. Something in systm restore seems corrupted. Probably
need to fix with vista repair disk?

"marty" wrote:

> system restore will not restore if you are running any norton anti virus you
> must disable it first this may be applicable to other security software also
> but can't be sure on that as i run norton
> --
> martyb
>

> "wrathofpaulii" wrote:
>
> > I tried to restore my computer to an earlier state but after it does
> > everything and restarts i get the message "system restore has encountered a
> > problem. no changes were made to your computer" it says the reason is
> > "unknown error" does anyone else have this in Vista?

Gerry

RE: System restore not working!
I'm having his problem too for the first time. Always worked on my windows
xp, but it is not working on Vista. Is there a definitive answer on this?
Is it really Norton related?

"wrathofpaulii" wrote:

> I tried to restore my computer to an earlier state but after it does
> everything and restarts i get the message "system restore has encountered a
> problem. no changes were made to your computer" it says the reason is
> "unknown error" does anyone else have this in Vista?

Photo guy

RE: System restore not working!
I tried all the sugguested norton fixes, still have the problem. I have also
retried enough times to where I am no longer albe to select a restore point
that worked.

I have System Mechanic 7.5 installed, and wonder if this is the cause of the
problem. It compresses and backs up both the registry and hive.

I'm beginning to think about I may need to do a systems restore repair
repair from the Vista DVD. What do you think?
Thanks, the photo guy.