No Sound From Laptop

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

oklahomasooners1890

No Sound From Laptop
I have no sound coming from my laptop. It does not play media files or any
thing on the internet. Any suggestions? It shows that its working and I
figure it should be playing then. Problem arises when i hook up headphones to
external jack. thanks
Chad Harris

Re: No Sound From Laptop
Hi Sooners--

You want to be able to hear this? BOOMER SOONER?

http://www.ci.norman.ok.us/links/boomer_sooner.htm

Check Device Manager to see if your driver is installed correctly. DM is
not reliable up through Vista if you can believe Redmond MSFT did that (they
did) for driver health (maybe next OS--Blackcomb/Vienna or some other ski
slope or city), but it is useful to see if a driver is installed and your
sound card entry is there.

In your run box type devmgmt.msc and see if you have a Sound, Video and Game
Controller Entry and expand it and see if your card is there>rt. click
it>properties>driver>driver details tab and see if drivers are installed.

Touch base with this checklist:

I Can't Hear Sound from My Vista PC:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f42d21033.mspx

and this one:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...0253a1033.mspx

My personal ck. list:

1) Check connections from PC to your speakers and any other sound related
peripheral.
2) Ck Control Panel>Playback Tab>Rt. click Speakers and hit items on
context menu including Speaker Configuration and Test them; Click the
Properties button (lower rt. corner)>check the levels tab and make sure
nothing is preventing sound there particular the "Master" lever at the top.
Also on the Advanced tab check that the appropriate pull down menu item is
selected.
3) Get newest driver appropriate to your sound card by visiting the Sound
Card's website.

Some of these principles apply to Vista:

Resources for Troubleshooting Sound Problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307918/en-us

Good luck,

CH

"oklahomasooners1890" <oklahomasooners1890@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:13607302-4962-4468-B621-9B90589D51B8@microsoft.com...
>I have no sound coming from my laptop. It does not play media files or any
> thing on the internet. Any suggestions? It shows that its working and I
> figure it should be playing then. Problem arises when i hook up headphones
> external jack. thanks

derekvista is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: No Sound From Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by oklahomasooners1890 View Post
I have no sound coming from my laptop. It does not play media files or any
thing on the internet. Any suggestions? It shows that its working and I
figure it should be playing then. Problem arises when i hook up headphones to
external jack. thanks
Hi there,
I had the same problem. It will show that it is working and everything is working correctly. try the following:

Go to control panel>hardware and sounds>(Playback tab) right click speakers> properties.
On the speakers properties windows go to the enhancements tab and make sure BOTH the "immediate mode" and disable all sound effects boxes are unticked.

This should resolved the problem.