How to delete folders like in xp

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Robert James

How to delete folders like in xp
How can I make vista delete files and folders like win xp does.
Vista seems to be ever calculating and recyclying. Is there any tweak?
brink

Re: How to delete folders like in xp

Robert James;425525 Wrote:
> How can I make vista delete files and folders like win xp does.
> Vista seems to be ever calculating and recyclying. Is there any tweak?

Hi Robert,

In exactly what way do you mean?

If you mean deleting system files and folders, then you have to take
ownership of them first before deleting. You can see this link for how
to do this.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html

Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Robert James

Re: How to delete folders like in xp
I mean when you delete something in windows xp, it deletes immediately. But
when I try to delete windows.old folder
it always says recycling so many 1000 files or something like that. But in
the end it says it cant delete.

I have turned off the system restore in vista, but still it takes a lot of
time to delete small files.

Thanks

James

Robert James;425590 Wrote:
> I mean when you delete something in windows xp, it deletes immediately.
> But
> when I try to delete windows.old folder
> it always says recycling so many 1000 files or something like that. But
> in
> the end it says it cant delete.
>
> I have turned off the system restore in vista, but still it takes a lot
> of
> time to delete small files.
>
> Thanks
>
> James

Ok James,

Usually after a certain size of files being deleted at once the Recycle
Bin will give you that "Cannot delete", but will ask if you want to
permanently delete it instead.

You can see how to set the Recycle Bin to permanently delete at this
site. If you are just using it to delete that one "Windows.old" file,
then I would set it back when done to prevent accidentally deleting
something you do not want to permanently.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/72...mediately.html

Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Mr. Arnold

"Robert James" <xpindia@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I mean when you delete something in windows xp, it deletes immediately. But
>when I try to delete windows.old folder
> it always says recycling so many 1000 files or something like that. But
> in the end it says it cant delete.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933212

Some folders, Vista is not going to allow you to mess with them, period
manually. You had better find out what some of the folders you shouldn't
touch manually are and what they are about, before you wind up hosing the
O/S looking to blame it on Vista.

John Barnes

Re: How to delete folders like in xp
Use Disk Cleanup to delete your .old file.

"Robert James" <xpindia@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I mean when you delete something in windows xp, it deletes immediately. But
>when I try to delete windows.old folder
> it always says recycling so many 1000 files or something like that. But
> in the end it says it cant delete.
>
> I have turned off the system restore in vista, but still it takes a lot
> of time to delete small files.
>
> Thanks
>
> James
>

> "brink" <brink.2vjyl2@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Robert James;425525 Wrote:
>>> How can I make vista delete files and folders like win xp does.
>>> Vista seems to be ever calculating and recyclying. Is there any tweak?

>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> In exactly what way do you mean?
>>
>> If you mean deleting system files and folders, then you have to take
>> ownership of them first before deleting. You can see this link for how
>> to do this.
>>
>> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html
>>
>> Shawn
>>

>> --
>> brink
>>
>> *There are no dumb questions, just the people that do not ask them.*
>> _http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
>> *Please post feedback to help others.*

theclyde

On Aug 19, 12:05 am, "Robert James" <xpin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How can I make vista delete files and folders like win xp does.
> Vista seems to be ever calculating and recyclying. Is there any tweak?

You cannot quickly delete files under Vista. You cannto quickly copy
or move files either. You might not even be able to quickly view a
file list and work on the files as well, especially if they are on a
slower removable device.

You might try disabling Remote Differential Compression, which does
help with copying files. But if you want to quickly delete files you
must either upgrade to XP or use a third party file manager.