uTorrent screwed Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

pyber

uTorrent screwed Vista
Installed uTorrent, used it to download a couple of things, and then it
hijacked the computer, for lack of a better way to put it. IE, WMP, and any
other media type files have had their icons changed to uTorrents, and instead
of opening the chosen file, the computer opens up uTorrent and an error
message, saying that it couldn't run anything. Most times, the file it can't
use is Rundll32.exe, since that is used for most little things. The exe is
still where its supposed to be in the Windows>System32 folder, but it gets
stuck in a loop of not being able to run it, even when I manually target it
to run a program, such as IE.

I've removed uTorrent manually, since the uninstall wouldn't work, and now
internet is sort of working, although it constantly wants to reconnect,
whenever I follow a link or enter an address. Also, all of the icons that
were changed went to a blank page icon, and none of the shortcuts on the
desktop will launch anything.

I know that this sounds awfully confusing, and it is, but this is only the
second Vista machine I've ever worked on, and any help would be appreciated.
Oh, and my Vista install is Home Basic, and my internet is Telus DSL.

pyber

RE: uTorrent screwed Vista
One more thing I just noticed, is that Windows apparently doesn't recognize
the .exe extension anymore. Any way to fix that?
Mike

Re: uTorrent screwed Vista
In article <BBBC5CA8-57B3-476C-8683-8D7C5EBE743C@microsoft.com>,
pyber <pyber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Installed uTorrent, used it to download a couple of things, and then it
> hijacked the computer, for lack of a better way to put it. IE, WMP, and any
> other media type files have had their icons changed to uTorrents, and instead
> of opening the chosen file, the computer opens up uTorrent and an error
> message, saying that it couldn't run anything.

Sounds like something you downloaded was a trojan of some kind.

Mike
pyber

Re: uTorrent screwed Vista
Thats what I thought too, but unless theyve learned to embed trojans in an
..avi file, it's somewhat unlikely. Also, Windows Defender is still in
running shape, but it finds nothing.

"Mike" wrote:

> In article <BBBC5CA8-57B3-476C-8683-8D7C5EBE743C@microsoft.com>,
> pyber <pyber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Installed uTorrent, used it to download a couple of things, and then it
> > hijacked the computer, for lack of a better way to put it. IE, WMP, and any
> > other media type files have had their icons changed to uTorrents, and instead
> > of opening the chosen file, the computer opens up uTorrent and an error
> > message, saying that it couldn't run anything.

> Sounds like something you downloaded was a trojan of some kind.
>
> Mike

Mike

Re: uTorrent screwed Vista
In article <F2172026-BDD0-49B0-B558-C1B0FDCB6E51@microsoft.com>,
pyber <pyber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thats what I thought too, but unless theyve learned to embed trojans in an
> .avi file, it's somewhat unlikely. Also, Windows Defender is still in
> running shape, but it finds nothing.

Have you tried restoring a "restore point" from before you installed
uTorrent? Is uTorrent known to be Vista compatible?

Mike
Zdorab

Re: uTorrent screwed Vista

I installed Utorrent today, works fine on my 64bit vista. Running a
download now actually. Get it from the legit site?

--
Zdorab

Computer specs:

*Processor*: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6420 (2x 2.13GHz)
*Moterboard:* Asus P5N-E SLI nForce® 650i SLI Chipset
*Memory:* 4 1-gig Corsair ram modules
*Graphics Card:* NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
*Hard Drive: *500 GB
*OS: *Vista Home Premium 64-bit
*Mouse: *Razer Diamondback Red
*Monitor: *20in Widescreeeeeen
dean-dean

Re: uTorrent screwed Vista

Download the file for the fix for the .exe file association. Extract and
merge exefix_vista.reg.

File association fixes for Windows Vista:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/

"pyber" <pyber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> One more thing I just noticed, is that Windows apparently doesn't
> recognize
> the .exe extension anymore. Any way to fix that?

Bruce Chambers

Re: uTorrent screwed Vista
pyber wrote:
> Installed uTorrent, used it to download a couple of things, and then it
> hijacked the computer, for lack of a better way to put it. IE, WMP, and any
> other media type files have had their icons changed to uTorrents, and instead
> of opening the chosen file, the computer opens up uTorrent and an error
> message, saying that it couldn't run anything. Most times, the file it can't
> use is Rundll32.exe, since that is used for most little things. The exe is
> still where its supposed to be in the Windows>System32 folder, but it gets
> stuck in a loop of not being able to run it, even when I manually target it
> to run a program, such as IE.
>
> I've removed uTorrent manually, since the uninstall wouldn't work, and now
> internet is sort of working, although it constantly wants to reconnect,
> whenever I follow a link or enter an address. Also, all of the icons that
> were changed went to a blank page icon, and none of the shortcuts on the
> desktop will launch anything.
>
> I know that this sounds awfully confusing, and it is, but this is only the
> second Vista machine I've ever worked on, and any help would be appreciated.
> Oh, and my Vista install is Home Basic, and my internet is Telus DSL.

Once you've deliberately installed a malware delivery utility like
uTorrent and given it free rein, your best option, if you want to ensure
a secure computer, would be to format the hard drive and reinstall the
OS from scratch.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Peter Foldes

Re: uTorrent screwed Vista
u Torrent ?? Might as well reformat your computer. Not being sarcastic at all but being prudent by saying you probably screwed up your OS with malware that is next to impossible to remove.

--
Peter

"pyber" <pyber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2CD90140-A3DB-4A08-8CC8-C1B507D6AC60@microsoft.com...
> One more thing I just noticed, is that Windows apparently doesn't recognize
> the .exe extension anymore. Any way to fix that?

Tom

Re: uTorrent screwed Vista
I might just like to add, i use Utorrent on vista ultimate, and i havent
installed it, i just use the stand alone version, So anyone reading this
getting put off, Dont install it, get the stand alone version. Works a
beauty