show desktop doesn't show gadgets

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

kerry

show desktop doesn't show gadgets
Hey, the show desktop icon is pretty neat... I have brand new laptop and want
to use the show desktop icon to quickly access my sidebar/gadgets. But only
the left hand icons appear. So I moved the gadgets off the sidebar, closed
it and still the gadgets don't show. Why would microsoft tease me like
that?.. what is the point of gadgets if I can't get to them easily and
quickly? But if I minimise everything, then the gadgets on desktop show.. but
then what's the point of the quick access icon...
Robert Firth

Re: show desktop doesn't show gadgets
Well, the gadgets aren't technically on the desktop - they aren't part of
explorer.exe. The sidebar program is separate. I know that doesn't help you,
but I thought it might help you to know that it is normal and why. I agree
with you though, when I first tried it I expected the same.

Robert Firth
http://www.winvistainfo.org

"kerry" <kerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey, the show desktop icon is pretty neat... I have brand new laptop and
> want
> to use the show desktop icon to quickly access my sidebar/gadgets. But
> only
> the left hand icons appear. So I moved the gadgets off the sidebar,
> closed
> it and still the gadgets don't show. Why would microsoft tease me like
> that?.. what is the point of gadgets if I can't get to them easily and
> quickly? But if I minimise everything, then the gadgets on desktop show..
> but
> then what's the point of the quick access icon...

oscar

Re: show desktop doesn't show gadgets
I've noticed the same thing: if I click on Show Desktop on taskbar, the
screen will show the desktop but not the sidebar and gadgets. I have to go
back to another window, minimize it to get gadgets back on desktop. I see no
reason why Vista should be doing this. This seems to be poor software
development which is another example of why a recent survey revealed that
almost 47 % of current Windows users will not upgrade to Vista. 47 %! Is
Miscrosoft paying attention?

Besides a couple other quirks, my Vista machine works like a charm.

Oscar

"Robert Firth" wrote:

> Well, the gadgets aren't technically on the desktop - they aren't part of
> explorer.exe. The sidebar program is separate. I know that doesn't help you,
> but I thought it might help you to know that it is normal and why. I agree
> with you though, when I first tried it I expected the same.
>
> Robert Firth
> http://www.winvistainfo.org
>
> "kerry" <kerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hey, the show desktop icon is pretty neat... I have brand new laptop and
> > want
> > to use the show desktop icon to quickly access my sidebar/gadgets. But
> > only
> > the left hand icons appear. So I moved the gadgets off the sidebar,
> > closed
> > it and still the gadgets don't show. Why would microsoft tease me like
> > that?.. what is the point of gadgets if I can't get to them easily and
> > quickly? But if I minimise everything, then the gadgets on desktop show..
> > but
> > then what's the point of the quick access icon...

Rick Rogers

Re: show desktop doesn't show gadgets
Hi,

"Show Desktop" does just that, it clears the desktop, whether you use the
icon or WindowsKey+d. If you want to just minimize the open Windows without
removing the Sidebar, use the WindowsKey+m to minimize. It's done this way
by design.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"oscar" <oscar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've noticed the same thing: if I click on Show Desktop on taskbar, the
> screen will show the desktop but not the sidebar and gadgets. I have to go
> back to another window, minimize it to get gadgets back on desktop. I see
> no
> reason why Vista should be doing this. This seems to be poor software
> development which is another example of why a recent survey revealed that
> almost 47 % of current Windows users will not upgrade to Vista. 47 %! Is
> Miscrosoft paying attention?
>
> Besides a couple other quirks, my Vista machine works like a charm.
>
> Oscar
>
> "Robert Firth" wrote:
>
>> Well, the gadgets aren't technically on the desktop - they aren't part of
>> explorer.exe. The sidebar program is separate. I know that doesn't help
>> you,
>> but I thought it might help you to know that it is normal and why. I
>> agree
>> with you though, when I first tried it I expected the same.
>>
>> Robert Firth
>> http://www.winvistainfo.org
>>
>> "kerry" <kerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hey, the show desktop icon is pretty neat... I have brand new laptop
>> > and
>> > want
>> > to use the show desktop icon to quickly access my sidebar/gadgets. But
>> > only
>> > the left hand icons appear. So I moved the gadgets off the sidebar,
>> > closed
>> > it and still the gadgets don't show. Why would microsoft tease me like
>> > that?.. what is the point of gadgets if I can't get to them easily and
>> > quickly? But if I minimise everything, then the gadgets on desktop
>> > show..
>> > but
>> > then what's the point of the quick access icon...

Andre Da Costa[ActiveWin]

Re: show desktop doesn't show gadgets
I too kinda find this annoying, it seems the Sidebar is just a regular old
window which contains these separate applications, so as long as you run the
show desktop command, you will get this effect.
--
Andre
Blog: http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
"oscar" <oscar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've noticed the same thing: if I click on Show Desktop on taskbar, the
> screen will show the desktop but not the sidebar and gadgets. I have to go
> back to another window, minimize it to get gadgets back on desktop. I see
> no
> reason why Vista should be doing this. This seems to be poor software
> development which is another example of why a recent survey revealed that
> almost 47 % of current Windows users will not upgrade to Vista. 47 %! Is
> Miscrosoft paying attention?
>
> Besides a couple other quirks, my Vista machine works like a charm.
>
> Oscar
>
> "Robert Firth" wrote:
>
>> Well, the gadgets aren't technically on the desktop - they aren't part of
>> explorer.exe. The sidebar program is separate. I know that doesn't help
>> you,
>> but I thought it might help you to know that it is normal and why. I
>> agree
>> with you though, when I first tried it I expected the same.
>>
>> Robert Firth
>> http://www.winvistainfo.org
>>
>> "kerry" <kerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hey, the show desktop icon is pretty neat... I have brand new laptop
>> > and
>> > want
>> > to use the show desktop icon to quickly access my sidebar/gadgets. But
>> > only
>> > the left hand icons appear. So I moved the gadgets off the sidebar,
>> > closed
>> > it and still the gadgets don't show. Why would microsoft tease me like
>> > that?.. what is the point of gadgets if I can't get to them easily and
>> > quickly? But if I minimise everything, then the gadgets on desktop
>> > show..
>> > but
>> > then what's the point of the quick access icon...

brink

oscar;524316 Wrote:
> I've noticed the same thing: if I click on Show Desktop on taskbar, the
> screen will show the desktop but not the sidebar and gadgets. I have to
> go
> back to another window, minimize it to get gadgets back on desktop. I
> see no
> reason why Vista should be doing this. This seems to be poor software
> development which is another example of why a recent survey revealed
> that
> almost 47 % of current Windows users will not upgrade to Vista. 47 %!
> Is
> Miscrosoft paying attention?
>
> Besides a couple other quirks, my Vista machine works like a charm.
>
> Oscar

Hi Oscar,

You can make the Sidebar not disappear by right clicking the Sidebar
tray icon and click Properties. Then, check "Sidebar is always on top
of other windows" and click OK. This will allow the Sidebar to stay
when you click "Show Desktop", but it will also always be on top to.

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
lforbes

RE: show desktop doesn't show gadgets
In another post it said that the Windows key + Spacebar brings up the
Sidebar. This is how I now get it back after Minimizing.

Personally I think the sidebar needs to be like Desktop Icons and not an
application. I use the "Minimize" or "switch" ALL the time. However ALL my
icons are on a Gadget Bar launcher so I have to use the shortcut to get it
back.

"kerry" wrote:

> Hey, the show desktop icon is pretty neat... I have brand new laptop and want
> to use the show desktop icon to quickly access my sidebar/gadgets. But only
> the left hand icons appear. So I moved the gadgets off the sidebar, closed
> it and still the gadgets don't show. Why would microsoft tease me like
> that?.. what is the point of gadgets if I can't get to them easily and
> quickly? But if I minimise everything, then the gadgets on desktop show.. but
> then what's the point of the quick access icon...

booglypoo is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use VBScript to re-open sidebar for you
You can create a VBScript to open the sidebar back up automatically after it closes due to the show desktop procedure. Just follow these steps:

You need to create three files:
ShowDesktop.scf
ShowDesktopSidebar.vbs
Shortcut to ShowDesktopSidebar.vbs

1) Open up notepad and create ShowDesktop.scf:
[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=shell32.dll,34
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

2) Open up notepad and create ShowDesktopSidebar.vbs:
Dim WshShell
WshShell.Run "ShowDesktop.scf", 1
WshShell.Run """C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe""", 1

3) Create a shortcut to ShowDesktopSidebar.vbs
Right click on file and choose 'Create Shortcut'.

4) Change icon of shortcut to the "show desktop" icon:
Right click on shortcut, Properties, Change Icon..., scroll to the right just a bit and you'll see the "show desktop" icon, choose it and click OK.

5) Move shortcut to Quick Launch area on Taskbar:
Right click on shortcut and drag it to the Quick Launch area, release click and choose 'Move Here'.

That's it! Done.

It has the same functionality of clicking on the "show desktop" icon, and then clicking on the sidebar icon in the tray, as was a suggested solution. The limitations of this solution, just like the manual version, is that if you click on the desktop afterwards, the sidebar disappears. But if say you open a minimized window (and don't click on the desktop), then the sidebar will stay up.

Notes:
Make sure you keep the .scf and .vbs files in the same directory, just hide them somewhere not on the desktop.

The real solution is for Microsoft to fix this problem by adding an option for the sidebar to always be on top of the desktop, but not on top of other windows. This is not hard to do at all (for the OS), it just needs to be done (by them). So Microsoft, just do it already.
lforbes

Re: show desktop doesn't show gadgets
Thanks. I am familiar with vbscript so I will definitely try this out.

Cheers,
Lara

"booglypoo" wrote:

> You can create a VBScript to open the sidebar back up automatically
> after it closes due to the show desktop procedure. Just follow these
> steps:
>
> You need to create three files:
> ShowDesktop.scf
> ShowDesktopSidebar.vbs
> Shortcut to ShowDesktopSidebar.vbs
>
> 1) Open up notepad and create ShowDesktop.scf:
> [Shell]
> Command=2
> IconFile=shell32.dll,34
> [Taskbar]
> Command=ToggleDesktop
>
> 2) Open up notepad and create ShowDesktopSidebar.vbs:
> Dim WshShell
> Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
> WshShell.Run "ShowDesktop.scf", 1
> WshShell.Run """C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe""", 1
>
> 3) Create a shortcut to ShowDesktopSidebar.vbs
> Right click on file and choose 'Create Shortcut'.
>
> 4) Change icon of shortcut to the "show desktop" icon:
> Right click on shortcut, Properties, Change Icon..., scroll to the
> right just a bit and you'll see the "show desktop" icon, choose it and
> click OK.
>
> 5) Move shortcut to Quick Launch area on Taskbar:
> Right click on shortcut and drag it to the Quick Launch area, release
> click and choose 'Move Here'.
>
> That's it! Done.
>
> It has the same functionality of clicking on the "show desktop" icon,
> and then clicking on the sidebar icon in the tray, as was a suggested
> solution. The limitations of this solution, just like the manual
> version, is that if you click on the desktop afterwards, the sidebar
> disappears. But if say you open a minimized window (and don't click on
> the desktop), then the sidebar will stay up.
>
> Notes:
> Make sure you keep the .scf and .vbs files in the same directory, just
> hide them somewhere not on the desktop.
>
> The real solution is for Microsoft to fix this problem by adding an
> option for the sidebar to always be on top of the desktop, but not on
> top of other windows. This is not hard to do at all (for the OS), it
> just needs to be done (by them). So Microsoft, just do it already.
>

> --
> booglypoo

andytodd22 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Solution!!!!!
I have the same problem with the sidebar disappearing, ive been searching for days and finally found the key. It minimizes all windows that have the minimize function, therefore sidebar stays!! Please spread the word.

Toggle MinimizeAll/UndoMinimizeAll

Toggle MinimizeAll/UndoMinimizeAll

^^it has worked perfectly so far^^

A.Todd
The Following User Says Thank You to andytodd22 For This Useful Post: