Windows Live OneCare won't update virus definitions file

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

David F

Windows Live OneCare won't update virus definitions file
I had installed the Microsoft Vista Performance and Compatible updates and
it caused my Verizon Wireless 595 PC Card to not be able to work after
waking up from sleep. I did a system restore to before the two updates.
Both my Windows Defender definitions and my OneCare virus definitions files
were out of date. Windows update took care of the Defender definitions, but
the OneCare console does not allow me to update the virus definition file.

Any ideas how to fix this?
TIA

David F

Re: Windows Live OneCare won't update virus definitions file
Seems to have downloaded automatically and now is no longer a problem.

"David F" <dfumento@ATDomaingmail.com> wrote in message
>I had installed the Microsoft Vista Performance and Compatible updates and
>it caused my Verizon Wireless 595 PC Card to not be able to work after
>waking up from sleep. I did a system restore to before the two updates.
>Both my Windows Defender definitions and my OneCare virus definitions files
>were out of date. Windows update took care of the Defender definitions,
>but the OneCare console does not allow me to update the virus definition
>file.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?
> TIA

Mary

RE: Windows Live OneCare won't update virus definitions file
I can't help with the OneCare problem, but your network card problem can be
solved by changing the Power Management tab setting in the Properties of the
card. Select "Allow Windows to turn this device off to save power" and
Windows will then wake the computer and reconnect after Sleep or Hibernation.

"David F" wrote:

> I had installed the Microsoft Vista Performance and Compatible updates and
> it caused my Verizon Wireless 595 PC Card to not be able to work after
> waking up from sleep. I did a system restore to before the two updates.
> Both my Windows Defender definitions and my OneCare virus definitions files
> were out of date. Windows update took care of the Defender definitions, but
> the OneCare console does not allow me to update the virus definition file.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?
> TIA

StephenB

Mary <Mary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I can't help with the OneCare problem, but your network card problem can be
>solved by changing the Power Management tab setting in the Properties of the
>card. Select "Allow Windows to turn this device off to save power" and
>Windows will then wake the computer and reconnect after Sleep or Hibernation.
>
>"David F" wrote:
>
>> I had installed the Microsoft Vista Performance and Compatible updates and
>> it caused my Verizon Wireless 595 PC Card to not be able to work after
>> waking up from sleep. I did a system restore to before the two updates.
>> Both my Windows Defender definitions and my OneCare virus definitions files
>> were out of date. Windows update took care of the Defender definitions, but
>> the OneCare console does not allow me to update the virus definition file.
>>
>> Any ideas how to fix this?
>> TIA

Don't worry about the OneCare update problem. It is a known issues that occurs
when you perform a System restore. it will take 24 to 48 hours for OneCare to
sort itself out. The internal database is out of alignment with the date and
time of files restored during the System Restore, causing the internal confusion
for OneCare. You are up to date and you are protected.
-steve

--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
Chad Harris

Re: Windows Live OneCare won't update virus definitions file
Hi David--

One Care has its own native or intrinsic spyware scanner now, which is not
Defender actually. I don't know which WOC version you have, but it doesn't
matter.

Aren't you getting any error message at all--if so, the hyperlink from it
could fix things.

What happens when you rt. click and open up WOC and click the hyperlink
check for updates?

Try rebooting and before you do type services.msc in the run box and make
sure that the Windows One Care service is automatic and started.

1. Turn off the 3 services using the services.msc
Microsoft Protection Service for 1.0; OneCare Firewall for 1.5
MSMPSVC for 1.0; OneCareMP for 1.5
Windows OneCare Live
Once they are stopped:

Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility Download and install the
Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...bd/msicuu2.exe
Remove:
Dr Watson for Windows OneCare Live
PX Engine
Malware Protection
Microsoft Protection Service
Windows OneCare Live

Then I would download and use an automated tool to uninstall Windows
OneCare, please visit this website:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...areCleanUp.exe

Then, I'd uninstall it from Add/Remove. This has worked best in my
experience. What I did was take a few of the basic steps for a manual
uninstall before having you uninstall it from Add/Remove. It usually isn't
necessary to go through the many other steps in a manual uninstall, and
these few steps make Add/Remove's removal cleaner and more successful a
higher percentage of the time.

Good luck,

CH

"David F" <dfumento@ATDomaingmail.com> wrote in message
>I had installed the Microsoft Vista Performance and Compatible updates and
>it caused my Verizon Wireless 595 PC Card to not be able to work after
>waking up from sleep. I did a system restore to before the two updates.
>Both my Windows Defender definitions and my OneCare virus definitions files
>were out of date. Windows update took care of the Defender definitions,
>but the OneCare console does not allow me to update the virus definition
>file.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?
> TIA

Chad Harris

Re: Windows Live OneCare won't update virus definitions file
David--

I mean for you to check that the One Care service is automatic and started,
then try rebooting. If that doesn't work, and you don't have an error on
trying to update from the link on the One Care gui that leads to something
helpful, then proceed to the instructions I gave you for uninstalling and
reinstalling that begin here:

1. Turn off the 3 services using the services.msc
Microsoft Protection Service for 1.0; OneCare Firewall for 1.5
MSMPSVC for 1.0; OneCareMP for 1.5
Windows OneCare Live
Once they are stopped:

Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility Download and install the
Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...bd/msicuu2.exe
Remove:
Dr Watson for Windows OneCare Live
PX Engine
Malware Protection
Microsoft Protection Service
Windows OneCare Live

Then I would download and use an automated tool to uninstall Windows
OneCare, please visit this website:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...areCleanUp.exe

Then, I'd uninstall it from Add/Remove. This has worked best in my
experience. What I did was take a few of the basic steps for a manual
uninstall before having you uninstall it from Add/Remove. It usually isn't
necessary to go through the many other steps in a manual uninstall, and
these few steps make Add/Remove's removal cleaner and more successful a
higher percentage of the time.

Good luck,

CH

"David F" <dfumento@ATDomaingmail.com> wrote in message
>I had installed the Microsoft Vista Performance and Compatible updates and
>it caused my Verizon Wireless 595 PC Card to not be able to work after
>waking up from sleep. I did a system restore to before the two updates.
>Both my Windows Defender definitions and my OneCare virus definitions files
>were out of date. Windows update took care of the Defender definitions,
>but the OneCare console does not allow me to update the virus definition
>file.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?
> TIA

StephenB

"Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote:

>Then, I'd uninstall it from Add/Remove. This has worked best in my
>experience. What I did was take a few of the basic steps for a manual
>uninstall before having you uninstall it from Add/Remove. It usually isn't
>necessary to go through the many other steps in a manual uninstall, and
>these few steps make Add/Remove's removal cleaner and more successful a
>higher percentage of the time.
>
>Good luck,
>
>CH

You don't need to remove OneCare simply because the definitions are out of date
- particularly if it is due to the known issue that causes this to be reported
after a System Restore.
However, you did cover something I overlooked. Defender should not be enabled if
OneCare is installed.
-steve
--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
sboots@mvps.org
Chad Harris

Re: Windows Live OneCare won't update virus definitions file
Yes Stephen. I was glad to learn about the System Restore synchronization
glitch inherent in Win One Care from you. [Stephen is a One Care expert who
has been helping consistently on the several One Care groups for years]. I
didn't know about it; do now. However, what I was suggesting as to an
enhanced uninstall did not include the many laborious steps to uninstall One
Care that entail files deletion, several commands from the command prompt,
and several registry deletions.

Since One Care *often and I do mean *often whichever the versions from 1.5
to the current 2.0 in Public Beta does not completely remove from
Add/Remove--you'll find out when you have trouble reinstalling it, or look
to see that files are left remaining from the One Care you're trying to
uninstall, I've adopted a few of the quick steps from a manual uninstall I
call an enhanced Add/Remove uninstall of One Care because it insures success
every time.

CH

"StephenB" <sboots@mvps.org> wrote in message
newsc60c3t74ng3rn4t6h417qn68j7vgtbeni@4ax.com...
> "Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote:
>
>>Then, I'd uninstall it from Add/Remove. This has worked best in my
>>experience. What I did was take a few of the basic steps for a manual
>>uninstall before having you uninstall it from Add/Remove. It usually
>>isn't
>>necessary to go through the many other steps in a manual uninstall, and
>>these few steps make Add/Remove's removal cleaner and more successful a
>>higher percentage of the time.
>>
>>Good luck,
>>
>>CH

> You don't need to remove OneCare simply because the definitions are out of
> date
> - particularly if it is due to the known issue that causes this to be
> reported
> after a System Restore.
> However, you did cover something I overlooked. Defender should not be
> enabled if
> OneCare is installed.
> -steve
> --
> Stephen Boots
> MVP Windows Live
> Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
> sboots@mvps.org

StephenB

Re: Windows Live OneCare won't update virus definitions file
Hi, Chad. Thanks. :-) I'm not sure I'd take the moniker of "expert," though.
Yes, I do wish that OneCare uninstall was cleaner and complete. Even the use the
cleanup tool -
http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsO...28910&SiteID=2
- leaves bits behind.
-steve

--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
sboots@mvps.org
StephenB

Re: Windows Live OneCare won't update virus definitions file
Yep, after 24 to 48 hours the internal OneCare database and the update server
are once again able to sync up and agree with each other following a System
Restore. Glad to read that all is well again for you.
-steve