Missing Files - Vista Ultimate 64bit

microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

lionelad

Missing Files - Vista Ultimate 64bit
The only thing I did was to change the name of my drive "E" to show the
letter E in properties\General. since then I have not been able to find a
folder that I had on the drive containing 2.45GB of data.The properties for
the drive read 232 GB capacity with 230 GB free space and 2,45 GB used space.
Clicking on drive E shows "This folder is empty".
I tried a number of things including using testdisk-6.7.win which confirms
the info is on the disk. Any ideas that might help me to make the data
visible again.
Ronnievdl

RE: Missing Files - Vista Ultimate 64bit
That's a strange problem..
Check if these files are hidden by turning on the option to show hidden and
system files in the Folder Options.

Also check if you have security rights to see these files.

"lionelad" wrote:

> The only thing I did was to change the name of my drive "E" to show the
> letter E in properties\General. since then I have not been able to find a
> folder that I had on the drive containing 2.45GB of data.The properties for
> the drive read 232 GB capacity with 230 GB free space and 2,45 GB used space.
> Clicking on drive E shows "This folder is empty".
> I tried a number of things including using testdisk-6.7.win which confirms
> the info is on the disk. Any ideas that might help me to make the data
> visible again.

AJR

Re: Missing Files - Vista Ultimate 64bit
Curious regarding "...Clicking on drive E shows "This folder is
empty"...." - or do you mean when clicking the folder ,,,?

"Ronnievdl" <Ronnievdl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> That's a strange problem..
> Check if these files are hidden by turning on the option to show hidden
> and
> system files in the Folder Options.
>
> Also check if you have security rights to see these files.
>

> "lionelad" wrote:
>
>> The only thing I did was to change the name of my drive "E" to show the
>> letter E in properties\General. since then I have not been able to find a
>> folder that I had on the drive containing 2.45GB of data.The properties
>> for
>> the drive read 232 GB capacity with 230 GB free space and 2,45 GB used
>> space.
>> Clicking on drive E shows "This folder is empty".
>> I tried a number of things including using testdisk-6.7.win which
>> confirms
>> the info is on the disk. Any ideas that might help me to make the data
>> visible again.

Ronnievdl

Re: Missing Files - Vista Ultimate 64bit
If the files are hidden it still says the folder is empty.

On second thought, the problem could also be an error in the file system.
Lionelad, try running checkdisk on that drive, i've seen other problems like
this one that I fixed with checkdisk.

"AJR" wrote:

> Curious regarding "...Clicking on drive E shows "This folder is
> empty"...." - or do you mean when clicking the folder ,,,?
>

> "Ronnievdl" <Ronnievdl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That's a strange problem..
> > Check if these files are hidden by turning on the option to show hidden
> > and
> > system files in the Folder Options.
> >
> > Also check if you have security rights to see these files.
> >

> > "lionelad" wrote:
> >
> >> The only thing I did was to change the name of my drive "E" to show the
> >> letter E in properties\General. since then I have not been able to find a
> >> folder that I had on the drive containing 2.45GB of data.The properties
> >> for
> >> the drive read 232 GB capacity with 230 GB free space and 2,45 GB used
> >> space.
> >> Clicking on drive E shows "This folder is empty".
> >> I tried a number of things including using testdisk-6.7.win which
> >> confirms
> >> the info is on the disk. Any ideas that might help me to make the data
> >> visible again.

lionelad

Re: Missing Files - Vista Ultimate 64bit
I mean opening Computer and then E

"AJR" wrote:

> Curious regarding "...Clicking on drive E shows "This folder is
> empty"...." - or do you mean when clicking the folder ,,,?
>

> "Ronnievdl" <Ronnievdl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That's a strange problem..
> > Check if these files are hidden by turning on the option to show hidden
> > and
> > system files in the Folder Options.
> >
> > Also check if you have security rights to see these files.
> >

> > "lionelad" wrote:
> >
> >> The only thing I did was to change the name of my drive "E" to show the
> >> letter E in properties\General. since then I have not been able to find a
> >> folder that I had on the drive containing 2.45GB of data.The properties
> >> for
> >> the drive read 232 GB capacity with 230 GB free space and 2,45 GB used
> >> space.
> >> Clicking on drive E shows "This folder is empty".
> >> I tried a number of things including using testdisk-6.7.win which
> >> confirms
> >> the info is on the disk. Any ideas that might help me to make the data
> >> visible again.

lionelad

RE: Missing Files - Vista Ultimate 64bit
Show hidden and system files is turned on and I have security rights to see
these files.

"Ronnievdl" wrote:

> That's a strange problem..
> Check if these files are hidden by turning on the option to show hidden and
> system files in the Folder Options.
>
> Also check if you have security rights to see these files.
>

> "lionelad" wrote:
>
> > The only thing I did was to change the name of my drive "E" to show the
> > letter E in properties\General. since then I have not been able to find a
> > folder that I had on the drive containing 2.45GB of data.The properties for
> > the drive read 232 GB capacity with 230 GB free space and 2,45 GB used space.
> > Clicking on drive E shows "This folder is empty".
> > I tried a number of things including using testdisk-6.7.win which confirms
> > the info is on the disk. Any ideas that might help me to make the data
> > visible again.

lionelad

Re: Missing Files - Vista Ultimate 64bit
I ran checkdisk and there were no problems found. During checkdisk 10416
files were processed. I have been working with windows for many years and
never had a problem that stumped me as much as this. My major problem is that
most of my software which was purchased online is on that disk. I was able to
copy some images and documents to C: using Testdisk-6.7-win but was am unable
to open the exe files.

"Ronnievdl" wrote:

> If the files are hidden it still says the folder is empty.
>
> On second thought, the problem could also be an error in the file system.
> Lionelad, try running checkdisk on that drive, i've seen other problems like
> this one that I fixed with checkdisk.
>

> "AJR" wrote:
>
> > Curious regarding "...Clicking on drive E shows "This folder is
> > empty"...." - or do you mean when clicking the folder ,,,?
> >

> > "Ronnievdl" <Ronnievdl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > That's a strange problem..
> > > Check if these files are hidden by turning on the option to show hidden
> > > and
> > > system files in the Folder Options.
> > >
> > > Also check if you have security rights to see these files.

lionelad

"Ronnievdl" wrote:

> If the files are hidden it still says the folder is empty.
>
> On second thought, the problem could also be an error in the file system.
> Lionelad, try running checkdisk on that drive, i've seen other problems like
> this one that I fixed with checkdisk.
>

> "AJR" wrote:
>
> > Curious regarding "...Clicking on drive E shows "This folder is
> > empty"...." - or do you mean when clicking the folder ,,,?
> >

> > "Ronnievdl" <Ronnievdl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > That's a strange problem..
> > > Check if these files are hidden by turning on the option to show hidden
> > > and
> > > system files in the Folder Options.
> > >
> > > Also check if you have security rights to see these files.

Nibiruian6 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 30Gbs of files that arent showing up in any folder!!
I have 30Gbs of files that arent showing up in any folder - I think it has to do with the C:/ Users folder but they still are not appearing even with advanced search - I saw a VTS folder of DVD files I had burned two months ago and deleted - but there they were in this Users folder - now they are gone again - maybe Vista is archiving these files with the restore point capability but I know I am really already sick of Windows Vista after only 5 months experience with it with all of its permissions crap, etc.

If anybody can help me find and really delete these files - I would deeply appreciate it. I ran CHKDSK and all it shows is that the hard is 30GB over what it should be with the files already stored on C: Drive

Someone mentioned UNDELETE capability?

Thanks for letting me vent