Virus Protection and Freelancer.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Xerxas Jade

Virus Protection and Freelancer.
Hey, all
Ok well I am a Freelancer Nut, and I already know that for some reson if you
install Norton Internet security and or many other brands of Internet
Security programs. The game no longer is able to connect to the global server.

Now I know the easy way to fix this is to not have Norton or any other
program like that installed but leaving a computer sitting there with no
virus protection is not my idea of smart, so I would like to know if anyone
knows a way to fix this, I don’t mind how hard or long winded it might be,
the main thing is that I would like to be able to put my FL server back on
the net, but I am unwilling to do that with out adequate virus protection.

Andrew

Re: Virus Protection and Freelancer.
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 17:02:01 -0700, Xerxas Jade <Xerxas
Jade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Now I know the easy way to fix this is to not have Norton or any other
>program like that installed but leaving a computer sitting there with no
>virus protection is not my idea of smart, so I would like to know if anyone
>knows a way to fix this, I don’t mind how hard or long winded it might be,
>the main thing is that I would like to be able to put my FL server back on
>the net, but I am unwilling to do that with out adequate virus protection.

What viruses do you expect to pick up while playing a retail game?

I have been on the net for a decade, not used AV for 99.9% of the time
and never had a virus.
--
Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com
Xerxas Jade

Re: Virus Protection and Freelancer.
Well its not freelancer that im worried about getting the virus's from its
everythig else that the comp also is used for, beeing a major hosting server
with a rather large list of hosted apps and services i dont want to leave the
computer in general without VS

"Andrew" wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 17:02:01 -0700, Xerxas Jade <Xerxas
> Jade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Now I know the easy way to fix this is to not have Norton or any other
> >program like that installed but leaving a computer sitting there with no
> >virus protection is not my idea of smart, so I would like to know if anyone
> >knows a way to fix this, I don’t mind how hard or long winded it might be,
> >the main thing is that I would like to be able to put my FL server back on
> >the net, but I am unwilling to do that with out adequate virus protection.

> What viruses do you expect to pick up while playing a retail game?
>
> I have been on the net for a decade, not used AV for 99.9% of the time
> and never had a virus.
> --
> Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com

MDF Destroyer

Re: Virus Protection and Freelancer.
no fix yet.i have evean turned off my norten and it still wont conect to a
server.
uninstall nortan and bam conects no problem.and i do have norten set to
ignor fl when it is installed

"Andy [YaYa]" wrote:

> "Xerxas Jade" <Xerxas Jade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hey, all
> > Ok well I am a Freelancer Nut, and I already know that for some reson if
> > you
> > install Norton Internet security and or many other brands of Internet
> > Security programs. The game no longer is able to connect to the global
> > server.
> >
> > Now I know the easy way to fix this is to not have Norton or any other
> > program like that installed but leaving a computer sitting there with no
> > virus protection is not my idea of smart, so I would like to know if
> > anyone
> > knows a way to fix this, I don’t mind how hard or long winded it might be,
> > the main thing is that I would like to be able to put my FL server back on
> > the net, but I am unwilling to do that with out adequate virus protection.

> Aww, someone loves my game. *sheds a tear*
>
> Internet Security isn't virus protection it's more like a firewall that also
> looks for phishing sites (Sites that look like some other site, but are
> designed to steal your ID, etc.).
>
> Thing about Viruses, if you don't run the virus you should be OK. If your
> windows is up to date you can disable your protection and so long as you're
> careful your computer won't blow up on you. Viruses, while annoying and
> common now a days, are not THAT common. Still, that said, be careful out
> there.
>
> If you don't want to disable Norton (*shudder*), see if there's a way to add
> an exception for Freelancer, that is to say, make it so Norton ignores
> Freelancer.
>
> Not sure how that's done, the only anti-virus I use is AVG Free
> (http://free.grissoft.com) and MS Firewall/Defender. I like to tell people,
> "When people write viruses, they write them specifically to circumvent
> anti-virus programs, usually the more popular programs are targets, Norton,
> McAfee, etc. Which is why I prefer off-beat anti-virus programs that others
> recommend. Some I've heard of include AVG Free, NOD, Avast, and there are
> many others.
>
> So glad to hear someone is still playing Freelancer. I still have 3 sealed
> copies at home, Jorgn (lead designer) signed one of them. I think he
> actually decreased it's value.
>
> -A.

Andy [YaYa]

Re: Virus Protection and Freelancer.
Yeah, I never want to say anything bad about any one particular application,
I don't like to play favorites, but I will say one thing, Norton (McAfee,
Trend) Anti-Virus or all their applications, just suck.

If you need a replacement anti-virus or anti-spyware, look for NOD32, AVG
Free, Avast! or Kapersky. On the spyware side if you want to spend a little
cash, get Webroot Spysweeper, it'll actually remove some nasty spyware like
"zlob" up until recently I thought it was so-so, but they really make a good
product and have good support.

Just remember to only run one of each at most, so if you go with something
else uninstall norton or anything else, first.

good luck,
a.

"MDF Destroyer" <MDFDestroyer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]

>> an exception for Freelancer, that is to say, make it so Norton ignores
>> Freelancer.
>>
>> Not sure how that's done, the only anti-virus I use is AVG Free
>> (http://free.grissoft.com) and MS Firewall/Defender. I like to tell
>> people,
>> "When people write viruses, they write them specifically to circumvent
>> anti-virus programs, usually the more popular programs are targets,
>> Norton,
>> McAfee, etc. Which is why I prefer off-beat anti-virus programs that
>> others
>> recommend. Some I've heard of include AVG Free, NOD, Avast, and there are
>> many others.
>>
>> So glad to hear someone is still playing Freelancer. I still have 3
>> sealed
>> copies at home, Jorgn (lead designer) signed one of them. I think he

MDF Destroyer

Re: Virus Protection and Freelancer.
sorry tryed them with fl . as stated fl will not conect to any server as long
as you have any antivres in staled i have tryed 10 difrent ones. i uninstall
them and bame fl conects .fire wars are tuned off . am runing no router.
firews in nortuns and all the others i turned them off and set them not to
run. still fl wont conect . take antivres off and there ya go i can conect
threw the globel server on fl