Games over the internet

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Shouldntbreed

Games over the internet
I've seen six or seven of these posts and no working replies. No, I -don't-
have a router, yes I told the windows firewall to allow my game through, yes
I manually told the firewall to open that port, and NO, it's still not
working/blocking the port. Can anyone tell me why Vista is randomly deciding
to block ports and/or program access to the internet? I'm halfway tempted to
freaking format and go grab my XP that only did what I told it to, and didn't
mess up everything I have trying to protect me from myself.
Ryzor

RE: Games over the internet
hi there
im new here but sorry about the lack of replies.
have you tried right clicking the games and selecting "run as administrator"?

"Shouldntbreed" wrote:

> I've seen six or seven of these posts and no working replies. No, I -don't-
> have a router, yes I told the windows firewall to allow my game through, yes
> I manually told the firewall to open that port, and NO, it's still not
> working/blocking the port. Can anyone tell me why Vista is randomly deciding
> to block ports and/or program access to the internet? I'm halfway tempted to
> freaking format and go grab my XP that only did what I told it to, and didn't
> mess up everything I have trying to protect me from myself.

Andy

Re: Games over the internet
"Shouldntbreed" <Shouldntbreed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've seen six or seven of these posts and no working replies. No,
> I -don't-
> have a router, yes I told the windows firewall to allow my game through,
> yes
> I manually told the firewall to open that port, and NO, it's still not
> working/blocking the port. Can anyone tell me why Vista is randomly
> deciding
> to block ports and/or program access to the internet? I'm halfway tempted
> freaking format and go grab my XP that only did what I told it to, and
> didn't
> mess up everything I have trying to protect me from myself.

The reason you may not be seeing replies is because you're not posting
complete messages with answers to basic questions. Stuff I'd rather not have
to ask you for, and information that I need to help ya out.

For instance:

What is the name of the game?
What kind of computer are you running this on? (System Specs)
Who is your ISP? DSL or Cable?
Is this a Vista Upgrade, or a brand new computer with Vista installed?
Any error messages? What are they? When do they occur?

Little bits of information go a long way to getting >more< answers more
quickly. Now I have to wait for you to respond, and who knows when i'll be
back this way to respond to your message.

I can probably help, but guys like Dale, Scotty, and myself that help out
here can only do so much.

Game on!
-A.