Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

PlanetSide error on start up

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2007
Chris Netherclift
 

Posts: n/a
PlanetSide error on start up
This is similar to other threads, although I have yet to see anyone mention
this sort of error (Detailed below as displayed):

Cannot find
'file:///c:/program%20files...:blank&charid=8F39B8FA83EFBD7413 24D958E326FD51838BE143'
Make sure path or internet address is correct.

I have tried running files in different compatibility modes, as
administrator and so on. Anyone have any ideas at all on this.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2007
Chris Netherclift
 

Posts: n/a
RE: PlanetSide error on start up
OK Sorted it eventually
PS requires you to run 2 EXE files to make it work, yes it does, although I
bet some where not even aware. Both of these will need to be set-up to run in
compatability mode, and Microsoft being Microsoft, or is it Sony being Sony,
both of these files will need to run in differing compatibilities.

So - This is EXE number 1
1) Install your PS game as per normal
2) Locate the PS Icon on you Quick Start / Desktop
3) Right click and select Properties
This Location should read something like Program
Files\Sony\Station\Launchpad\Launchpad.exe :gamelanetside
4) Select the Compatibility Tab.
5) run this program as Windows XP SP2, and also check the Run as
Administrator box too.
6) Click OK to save these changes

EXE Number 2
1) Browse to your Program Files\Sony\Planetside folder and find the
Planetside.exe file
2) right click the file and select Properties again
3) Select the Compatibility Tab
4) Run this in windows 95 mode
5) Change the Settings so
Visual Themes, desktop composition & High DPI Settings are all checked too.
6) Click OK to save these settings.

Now run PS from your Desktop Icon and fingers crossed it should be OK.

I do get a couple of "Cannot Find" messages on start up, no one can explain
what they are, but the game seems to run fine for me.

I will continue to play with these settings to see if I can improve
performance and post updates if I find anything.

NOTES: I searched how to get this to work across a number of days on many
forums, and ultimately came to this hybrid solution myself. I have not had to
turn off SuperFetch, or the Side bar as some others have found, but keep in
mind that you may need to do this also.


"Chris Netherclift" wrote:

> This is similar to other threads, although I have yet to see anyone mention
> this sort of error (Detailed below as displayed):
>
> Cannot find
> 'file:///c:/program%20files...:blank&charid=8F39B8FA83EFBD7413 24D958E326FD51838BE143'
> Make sure path or internet address is correct.
>
> I have tried running files in different compatibility modes, as
> administrator and so on. Anyone have any ideas at all on this.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-09-2007
Andy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: PlanetSide error on start up
"Chris Netherclift" <ChrisNetherclift@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:68884B24-A1D9-48B3-B73A-0B0F73A32A30@microsoft.com...
> OK Sorted it eventually
> PS requires you to run 2 EXE files to make it work, yes it does, although
> I
> bet some where not even aware. Both of these will need to be set-up to run
> in
> compatability mode, and Microsoft being Microsoft, or is it Sony being
> Sony,
> both of these files will need to run in differing compatibilities.
>
> So - This is EXE number 1
> 1) Install your PS game as per normal
> 2) Locate the PS Icon on you Quick Start / Desktop
> 3) Right click and select Properties
> This Location should read something like Program
> Files\Sony\Station\Launchpad\Launchpad.exe :gamelanetside
> 4) Select the Compatibility Tab.
> 5) run this program as Windows XP SP2, and also check the Run as
> Administrator box too.
> 6) Click OK to save these changes
>
> EXE Number 2
> 1) Browse to your Program Files\Sony\Planetside folder and find the
> Planetside.exe file
> 2) right click the file and select Properties again
> 3) Select the Compatibility Tab
> 4) Run this in windows 95 mode
> 5) Change the Settings so
> Visual Themes, desktop composition & High DPI Settings are all checked
> too.
> 6) Click OK to save these settings.
>
> Now run PS from your Desktop Icon and fingers crossed it should be OK.
>
> I do get a couple of "Cannot Find" messages on start up, no one can
> explain
> what they are, but the game seems to run fine for me.
>
> I will continue to play with these settings to see if I can improve
> performance and post updates if I find anything.
>
> NOTES: I searched how to get this to work across a number of days on many
> forums, and ultimately came to this hybrid solution myself. I have not had
> to
> turn off SuperFetch, or the Side bar as some others have found, but keep
> in
> mind that you may need to do this also.
>


Great write-up Chris, I've been thinking of loading this game up again. As a
shooter/MMO this one had such potential, good to hear someone's still
playing it. Unfortunatly I'm a little upset at Sony right now for Vanguard
and their decision to publish Pirates of the Burning Seas (Flying Labs
turned me down for a job, i'm bitter).

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-10-2007
Chris Netherclift
 

Posts: n/a
Re: PlanetSide error on start up
Andy, there are plenty still playing this, my outfit allon is 300+ players
(About 150 active at any one time), and there are similar other outfits on
all 3 factions. Basically people are coming back, and a new reserves program
has just been announced to get more in game. Several new weapons (some good
some bad) and new vehicles too.

Suffice to say I have yet to find a game as good as this, even with all it's
faults.

"Andy" wrote:

> "Chris Netherclift" <ChrisNetherclift@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:68884B24-A1D9-48B3-B73A-0B0F73A32A30@microsoft.com...
> > OK Sorted it eventually
> > PS requires you to run 2 EXE files to make it work, yes it does, although
> > I
> > bet some where not even aware. Both of these will need to be set-up to run
> > in
> > compatability mode, and Microsoft being Microsoft, or is it Sony being
> > Sony,
> > both of these files will need to run in differing compatibilities.
> >
> > So - This is EXE number 1
> > 1) Install your PS game as per normal
> > 2) Locate the PS Icon on you Quick Start / Desktop
> > 3) Right click and select Properties
> > This Location should read something like Program
> > Files\Sony\Station\Launchpad\Launchpad.exe :gamelanetside
> > 4) Select the Compatibility Tab.
> > 5) run this program as Windows XP SP2, and also check the Run as
> > Administrator box too.
> > 6) Click OK to save these changes
> >
> > EXE Number 2
> > 1) Browse to your Program Files\Sony\Planetside folder and find the
> > Planetside.exe file
> > 2) right click the file and select Properties again
> > 3) Select the Compatibility Tab
> > 4) Run this in windows 95 mode
> > 5) Change the Settings so
> > Visual Themes, desktop composition & High DPI Settings are all checked
> > too.
> > 6) Click OK to save these settings.
> >
> > Now run PS from your Desktop Icon and fingers crossed it should be OK.
> >
> > I do get a couple of "Cannot Find" messages on start up, no one can
> > explain
> > what they are, but the game seems to run fine for me.
> >
> > I will continue to play with these settings to see if I can improve
> > performance and post updates if I find anything.
> >
> > NOTES: I searched how to get this to work across a number of days on many
> > forums, and ultimately came to this hybrid solution myself. I have not had
> > to
> > turn off SuperFetch, or the Side bar as some others have found, but keep
> > in
> > mind that you may need to do this also.
> >

>
> Great write-up Chris, I've been thinking of loading this game up again. As a
> shooter/MMO this one had such potential, good to hear someone's still
> playing it. Unfortunatly I'm a little upset at Sony right now for Vanguard
> and their decision to publish Pirates of the Burning Seas (Flying Labs
> turned me down for a job, i'm bitter).
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-11-2007
Andy
 

Posts: n/a
Re: PlanetSide error on start up
"Chris Netherclift" <ChrisNetherclift@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message newsBF449F3-BA39-4C84-B723-8D119B7E01E0@microsoft.com...
> Andy, there are plenty still playing this, my outfit allon is 300+ players
> (About 150 active at any one time), and there are similar other outfits on
> all 3 factions. Basically people are coming back, and a new reserves
> program
> has just been announced to get more in game. Several new weapons (some
> good
> some bad) and new vehicles too.
>
> Suffice to say I have yet to find a game as good as this, even with all
> it's
> faults.


I won't argue that Chris, I heard the expansion was still good. I still have
my Beta CDs, but I don't have a retail key attached to my SoE account, and
on top of that I'm on a SoE boycott because they wouldn't refund my 3 months
of Vanguard even though I canceled my account 1 month ahead of my billing
period.

Glad yer still playing, I thought it was a good game too.

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Planetside on Vista 64 Scotter microsoft.public.windows.vista.games 3 01-29-2008 16:45
Windows (Vista) Start Up Error Messge Stephen microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 7 07-02-2007 13:26
planetside unter vista? Frank Gibki microsoft.public.de.windows.vista.spiele 0 06-16-2007 10:00
Planetside Crashing on LoadMap Screen =?Utf-8?B?RWQgSHVkc29u?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.games 0 03-30-2007 14:20
error on start up - ?activboard =?Utf-8?B?TW9ycmlz?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-24-2007 12:58




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:00.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120