OK Sorted it eventually
PS requires you to run 2 EXE files to make it work, yes it does, although I
bet some where not even aware. Both of these will need to be set-up to run in
compatability mode, and Microsoft being Microsoft, or is it Sony being Sony,
both of these files will need to run in differing compatibilities.
So - This is EXE number 1
1) Install your PS game as per normal
2) Locate the PS Icon on you Quick Start / Desktop
3) Right click and select Properties
This Location should read something like Program
4) Select the Compatibility Tab.
5) run this program as Windows XP SP2, and also check the Run as
Administrator box too.
6) Click OK to save these changes
EXE Number 2
1) Browse to your Program Files\Sony\Planetside folder and find the
2) right click the file and select Properties again
3) Select the Compatibility Tab
4) Run this in windows 95 mode
5) Change the Settings so
Visual Themes, desktop composition & High DPI Settings are all checked too.
6) Click OK to save these settings.
Now run PS from your Desktop Icon and fingers crossed it should be OK.
I do get a couple of "Cannot Find" messages on start up, no one can explain
what they are, but the game seems to run fine for me.
I will continue to play with these settings to see if I can improve
performance and post updates if I find anything.
NOTES: I searched how to get this to work across a number of days on many
forums, and ultimately came to this hybrid solution myself. I have not had to
turn off SuperFetch, or the Side bar as some others have found, but keep in
mind that you may need to do this also.
"Chris Netherclift" wrote:
> This is similar to other threads, although I have yet to see anyone mention
> this sort of error (Detailed below as displayed):
> Cannot find
> 'file:///c:/program%20files...:blank&charid=8F39B8FA83EFBD7413 24D958E326FD51838BE143'
> Make sure path or internet address is correct.
> I have tried running files in different compatibility modes, as
> administrator and so on. Anyone have any ideas at all on this.