Trouble with games on windows vista ultimate

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

afterburner38555

Trouble with games on windows vista ultimate
Ok ive ben running vista ultimate for a few moths now. I istaled Hardtruck
apocalypse and cant save my game and it also sometimes crashes. Also having
trouble with Need for speed carbon running slow, and i know its not cause of
my system. I also have another pc that i run thease games on and its only
got 1gb ram and an Ati radion 9250 256m video card and 3.4ghz prosessor, and
the games run fine on it. So please help me if u know whats wrong. Here is my
pc specs.

System

Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
Model MS-7104
Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 1
64-bit capable No

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 613 GB
Disk partition (C 179 GB Free (233 GB Total)
Disk partition (D 133 GB Free (190 GB Total)
Disk partition (E 59 GB Free (190 GB Total)
Media drive (F CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
Total available graphics memory 750 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 494 MB
Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.5824
Primary monitor resolution 1152x864
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better

Network

Network Adapter VIA Rhine II Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter
Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter

BigJim

Re: Trouble with games on windows vista ultimate
the ati 9250 is a very low end card, I run a similar system with 2 gigs or
ram and a 7600gt agp and everything runs fine including aero.

"afterburner38555" <afterburner38555@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:618728DD-C331-4E75-9872-A153AD56933D@microsoft.com...
> Ok ive ben running vista ultimate for a few moths now. I istaled Hardtruck
> apocalypse and cant save my game and it also sometimes crashes. Also
> having
> trouble with Need for speed carbon running slow, and i know its not cause
> of
> my system. I also have another pc that i run thease games on and its only
> got 1gb ram and an Ati radion 9250 256m video card and 3.4ghz prosessor,
> and
> the games run fine on it. So please help me if u know whats wrong. Here is
> my
> pc specs.
>
> System
>
> Manufacturer MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
> Model MS-7104
> Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM
> System type 32-bit operating system
> Number of processor cores 1
> 64-bit capable No
>
> Storage
>
> Total size of hard disk(s) 613 GB
> Disk partition (C 179 GB Free (233 GB Total)
> Disk partition (D 133 GB Free (190 GB Total)
> Disk partition (E 59 GB Free (190 GB Total)
> Media drive (F CD/DVD
>
> Graphics
>
> Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
> Total available graphics memory 750 MB
> Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB
> Dedicated system memory 0 MB
> Shared system memory 494 MB
> Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.5824
> Primary monitor resolution 1152x864
> DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better
>
> Network
>
> Network Adapter VIA Rhine II Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter
> Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter

Andy

"BigJim" <bigjim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> the ati 9250 is a very low end card, I run a similar system with 2 gigs or
> ram and a 7600gt agp and everything runs fine including aero.
>
> "afterburner38555" <afterburner38555@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:618728DD-C331-4E75-9872-A153AD56933D@microsoft.com...
>> Ok ive ben running vista ultimate for a few moths now. I istaled
>> Hardtruck
>> apocalypse and cant save my game and it also sometimes crashes. Also
>> having
>> trouble with Need for speed carbon running slow, and i know its not cause
>> of
>> my system. I also have another pc that i run thease games on and its
>> only
>> got 1gb ram and an Ati radion 9250 256m video card and 3.4ghz prosessor,
>> and
>> the games run fine on it. So please help me if u know whats wrong. Here
>> is my
>> pc specs.
>>
>> System
>>
>> Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM
>> System type 32-bit operating system
>> Number of processor cores 1
>> 64-bit capable No

>> Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
>> Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB

I think you missed what he said Jim, his message was that he has an older
computer with an ATi 9250, the game runs OK on that, but when he loads it on
the system above with the nVidia 6600 it runs really slow.

What's wrong is you're using Vista with a game that wasn't designed on Vista
and a middle of the road video card.

Drop the resolution in the game down and turn off Anti-Aliasing and
Antroscophic filtering. The game is running slow because you're CPU is a
single core running Vista with a middle of the road video card. With NFS:
Carbon it should run OK but you'll probably want to drop your game settings
or upgrade your CPU/Video card to a Geforce Series 7 or ATI x1X00 type card.

Good luck...
-A.

afterburner38555

Re: Trouble with games on windows vista ultimate
I think the problem is with vista because i also have another pc with an asus
a8n32sli delucs motherboard with an amd athlon 2.8 dual core and 4gb ddr2 and
an asus 512 ddr2 vidio card and it runs slow on that one too even with every
thing turnd down and no other programs running including antivirus. Surly the
have a compatibility updater or something. Thinking about just running 2
operating systems vista for web brousing and xp pro for gaming.

"Andy" wrote:

> "BigJim" <bigjim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > the ati 9250 is a very low end card, I run a similar system with 2 gigs or
> > ram and a 7600gt agp and everything runs fine including aero.
> >
> > "afterburner38555" <afterburner38555@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:618728DD-C331-4E75-9872-A153AD56933D@microsoft.com...
> >> Ok ive ben running vista ultimate for a few moths now. I istaled
> >> Hardtruck
> >> apocalypse and cant save my game and it also sometimes crashes. Also
> >> having
> >> trouble with Need for speed carbon running slow, and i know its not cause
> >> of
> >> my system. I also have another pc that i run thease games on and its
> >> only
> >> got 1gb ram and an Ati radion 9250 256m video card and 3.4ghz prosessor,
> >> and
> >> the games run fine on it. So please help me if u know whats wrong. Here
> >> is my
> >> pc specs.
> >>
> >> System
> >> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM
> >> System type 32-bit operating system
> >> Number of processor cores 1
> >> 64-bit capable No

> >> Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 6600 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
> >> Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB

> I think you missed what he said Jim, his message was that he has an older
> computer with an ATi 9250, the game runs OK on that, but when he loads it on
> the system above with the nVidia 6600 it runs really slow.
>
> What's wrong is you're using Vista with a game that wasn't designed on Vista
> and a middle of the road video card.
>
> Drop the resolution in the game down and turn off Anti-Aliasing and
> Antroscophic filtering. The game is running slow because you're CPU is a
> single core running Vista with a middle of the road video card. With NFS:
> Carbon it should run OK but you'll probably want to drop your game settings
> or upgrade your CPU/Video card to a Geforce Series 7 or ATI x1X00 type card.
>
> Good luck...
> -A.

Charlie Tame

afterburner38555 wrote:
> I think the problem is with vista because i also have another pc with an asus
> a8n32sli delucs motherboard with an amd athlon 2.8 dual core and 4gb ddr2 and
> an asus 512 ddr2 vidio card and it runs slow on that one too even with every
> thing turnd down and no other programs running including antivirus. Surly the
> have a compatibility updater or something. Thinking about just running 2
> operating systems vista for web brousing and xp pro for gaming.
>
> "Andy" wrote:
>
>> "BigJim" <bigjim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> the ati 9250 is a very low end card, I run a similar system with 2 gigs or
>>> ram and a 7600gt agp and everything runs fine including aero.
>>>
>>> "afterburner38555" <afterburner38555@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message news:618728DD-C331-4E75-9872-A153AD56933D@microsoft.com...

>> I think you missed what he said Jim, his message was that he has an older
>> computer with an ATi 9250, the game runs OK on that, but when he loads it on
>> the system above with the nVidia 6600 it runs really slow.
>>
>> What's wrong is you're using Vista with a game that wasn't designed on Vista
>> and a middle of the road video card.
>>
>> Drop the resolution in the game down and turn off Anti-Aliasing and
>> Antroscophic filtering. The game is running slow because you're CPU is a
>> single core running Vista with a middle of the road video card. With NFS:
>> Carbon it should run OK but you'll probably want to drop your game settings
>> or upgrade your CPU/Video card to a Geforce Series 7 or ATI x1X00 type card.
>>
>> Good luck...
>> -A.

NVidia Vista drivers were pretty bad at first and still aren't as good
as XP drivers, also be aware that sometimes the "Latest" driver is not
the best. I assume you have updated those and also the MB drivers - if
the MB drivers are not right it will generally screw a lot of things up
as far as speed is concerned.

Vista probably will not be quite as fast as XP for games / heavy
graphics use, and no amount of driver tweaking is going to change that,
but it should not be that slow so you may have to dig out other hardware
makers latest drivers.
Mark

Re: Trouble with games on windows vista ultimate
I doubt its Vista. I have a a8n32-sli Deluxe motherboard with FX-60
dual-core (2 generations old now but overclocked to 2.8ghz) and I run all my
games (Doom, Quake, FEAR, Titan Quest, Tomb Raider, etc) at high res. Of
course I have a good card (Radeon X1900) but the processor/mb system specs
are very adequate:

Windows Experience Score: 4.4
processor: 5.3
Ram: 4.4