Flight Sim X can't re-install

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Steven

Flight Sim X can't re-install
I have a new HP 2.8 Ghz machine with 2 GB RAM and new %12 MB ATI graphic
card. I upgraded the puter from native XP to Vista Home Premium. With a
little help from MS tech support, I got it working.

I then bought and loaded FS X and got it working for awhile. I'm a big FS
user, so I imported all my FS9 a/c at one point, and screwed up FSX so I
decided to unistall it which I did succesfully. On the re-install, the disk
failed to read certain files from the second DVD and the install aborted and
crashed. Since then, I can't get the FSx DVD to be read. I got a UDF file
error, and "insert a new disk" error each time so I researched on here an
found the UDFS file problem suggestions. I did not install any DVD writting
software on my machine, but I unstalled all applications except FS9 in case,
and still I can't get my puter to read the FS X install disk to re-install
FSX. It just keeps spinning, with a blinking light in the DVD bay, and
eventually, Explorer crashes. I noticed I can't even boot my Vista upgrade
DVD anymore from the drive to try and repair Vista. I think I have UDF
reading problem. Does nayone know how to force Vista back to default UDF
reading of DVD so I can re-install my FS x?
Andy

Re: Flight Sim X can't re-install
Were you able to try the DVD in another Computer, or at least on another DVD
drive?

Sounds like a hardware failure from the way you describe it. If you have
System Restore running you could try rolling back your system til before all
these problems started occuring. If it's a software problem then something
you installed on your computer could be causing your dvd drive to fail
reading.

Might call HP, since it's a new computer you're probably covered under a
hardware warranty. If you bought your system from a local brick and mortar
store you might take the system back and have them test it for you. Keep in
mind if it's a software issue you might have to pay for a fix unless the
system is really new, then see if you can get an exchange (computer
warraties don't cover software problems, only hardware).

Hope that helps...
-a.

"Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new HP 2.8 Ghz machine with 2 GB RAM and new %12 MB ATI graphic
> card. I upgraded the puter from native XP to Vista Home Premium. With a
> little help from MS tech support, I got it working.
>
> I then bought and loaded FS X and got it working for awhile. I'm a big FS
> user, so I imported all my FS9 a/c at one point, and screwed up FSX so I
> decided to unistall it which I did succesfully. On the re-install, the
> disk
> failed to read certain files from the second DVD and the install aborted
> and
> crashed. Since then, I can't get the FSx DVD to be read. I got a UDF file
> error, and "insert a new disk" error each time so I researched on here an
> found the UDFS file problem suggestions. I did not install any DVD
> writting
> software on my machine, but I unstalled all applications except FS9 in
> case,
> and still I can't get my puter to read the FS X install disk to re-install
> FSX. It just keeps spinning, with a blinking light in the DVD bay, and
> eventually, Explorer crashes. I noticed I can't even boot my Vista upgrade
> DVD anymore from the drive to try and repair Vista. I think I have UDF
> reading problem. Does nayone know how to force Vista back to default UDF
> reading of DVD so I can re-install my FS x?

Steven

Re: Flight Sim X can't re-install
The drive and disk are working. I've tested CD in the drive and they read, I
have a couple of legal copies of FS X so I tried different combination of
these DVD and nothing gets better. I'm convinced it's the UDF stuff that gone
crazy, I will try calling HP, that;s a good idea. Thanks Andy. Still working
on the problem.

"Andy" wrote:

> Were you able to try the DVD in another Computer, or at least on another DVD
> drive?
>
> Sounds like a hardware failure from the way you describe it. If you have
> System Restore running you could try rolling back your system til before all
> these problems started occuring. If it's a software problem then something
> you installed on your computer could be causing your dvd drive to fail
> reading.
>
> Might call HP, since it's a new computer you're probably covered under a
> hardware warranty. If you bought your system from a local brick and mortar
> store you might take the system back and have them test it for you. Keep in
> mind if it's a software issue you might have to pay for a fix unless the
> system is really new, then see if you can get an exchange (computer
> warraties don't cover software problems, only hardware).
>
> Hope that helps...
> -a.
>
> "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a new HP 2.8 Ghz machine with 2 GB RAM and new %12 MB ATI graphic
> > card. I upgraded the puter from native XP to Vista Home Premium. With a
> > little help from MS tech support, I got it working.
> >
> > I then bought and loaded FS X and got it working for awhile. I'm a big FS
> > user, so I imported all my FS9 a/c at one point, and screwed up FSX so I
> > decided to unistall it which I did succesfully. On the re-install, the
> > disk
> > failed to read certain files from the second DVD and the install aborted
> > and
> > crashed. Since then, I can't get the FSx DVD to be read. I got a UDF file
> > error, and "insert a new disk" error each time so I researched on here an
> > found the UDFS file problem suggestions. I did not install any DVD
> > writting
> > software on my machine, but I unstalled all applications except FS9 in
> > case,
> > and still I can't get my puter to read the FS X install disk to re-install
> > FSX. It just keeps spinning, with a blinking light in the DVD bay, and
> > eventually, Explorer crashes. I noticed I can't even boot my Vista upgrade
> > DVD anymore from the drive to try and repair Vista. I think I have UDF
> > reading problem. Does nayone know how to force Vista back to default UDF
> > reading of DVD so I can re-install my FS x?

Steven

Re: Flight Sim X can't re-install
Hmm, was on;ine with HP for the past 45 minutes. the drive is ok, can read CD
just not DVD, or particularly Vista or FSX DVDs?

HMMMM, AHHHHHHH!!!!!

"Steven" wrote:

> The drive and disk are working. I've tested CD in the drive and they read, I
> have a couple of legal copies of FS X so I tried different combination of
> these DVD and nothing gets better. I'm convinced it's the UDF stuff that gone
> crazy, I will try calling HP, that;s a good idea. Thanks Andy. Still working
> on the problem.
>
> "Andy" wrote:
>
> > Were you able to try the DVD in another Computer, or at least on another DVD
> > drive?
> >
> > Sounds like a hardware failure from the way you describe it. If you have
> > System Restore running you could try rolling back your system til before all
> > these problems started occuring. If it's a software problem then something
> > you installed on your computer could be causing your dvd drive to fail
> > reading.
> >
> > Might call HP, since it's a new computer you're probably covered under a
> > hardware warranty. If you bought your system from a local brick and mortar
> > store you might take the system back and have them test it for you. Keep in
> > mind if it's a software issue you might have to pay for a fix unless the
> > system is really new, then see if you can get an exchange (computer
> > warraties don't cover software problems, only hardware).
> >
> > Hope that helps...
> > -a.
> >
> > "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have a new HP 2.8 Ghz machine with 2 GB RAM and new %12 MB ATI graphic
> > > card. I upgraded the puter from native XP to Vista Home Premium. With a
> > > little help from MS tech support, I got it working.
> > >
> > > I then bought and loaded FS X and got it working for awhile. I'm a big FS
> > > user, so I imported all my FS9 a/c at one point, and screwed up FSX so I
> > > decided to unistall it which I did succesfully. On the re-install, the
> > > disk
> > > failed to read certain files from the second DVD and the install aborted
> > > and
> > > crashed. Since then, I can't get the FSx DVD to be read. I got a UDF file
> > > error, and "insert a new disk" error each time so I researched on here an
> > > found the UDFS file problem suggestions. I did not install any DVD
> > > writting
> > > software on my machine, but I unstalled all applications except FS9 in
> > > case,
> > > and still I can't get my puter to read the FS X install disk to re-install
> > > FSX. It just keeps spinning, with a blinking light in the DVD bay, and
> > > eventually, Explorer crashes. I noticed I can't even boot my Vista upgrade
> > > DVD anymore from the drive to try and repair Vista. I think I have UDF
> > > reading problem. Does nayone know how to force Vista back to default UDF
> > > reading of DVD so I can re-install my FS x?

Andy

Re: Flight Sim X can't re-install
CD <> DVD

I've had several DVD drives in my day that read CDs no problem, but fail to
read certain DVDs. Try the DVD in another drive if you can, make sure it's
not the FSX disc.

UDF is just a disc format I believe. it's not really a software. If your
computer can't read the FSX DVD, but it can read other DVDs then it still
sounds like the DVD drive isn't working correctly.You maybe right though it
could be your system is incorrectly enterupting the UDF disc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

Good luck,

> [...]
>> > file
>> > error, and "insert a new disk" error each time so I researched on here
>> > an
>> > found the UDFS file problem suggestions. I did not install any DVD
>> > writting
>> > software on my machine, but I unstalled all applications except FS9 in
>> > case,
>> > and still I can't get my puter to read the FS X install disk to
>> > re-install
>> > FSX. It just keeps spinning, with a blinking light in the DVD bay, and
>> > eventually, Explorer crashes. I noticed I can't even boot my Vista
>> > upgrade
>> > DVD anymore from the drive to try and repair Vista. I think I have UDF
>> > reading problem. Does nayone know how to force Vista back to default
>> > UDF
>> > reading of DVD so I can re-install my FS x?

VRG Scotty©

"Andy" <android8675@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> CD <> DVD
>
> I've had several DVD drives in my day that read CDs no problem, but fail
> to read certain DVDs. Try the DVD in another drive if you can, make sure
> it's not the FSX disc.
>
> UDF is just a disc format I believe. it's not really a software. If your
> computer can't read the FSX DVD, but it can read other DVDs then it still
> sounds like the DVD drive isn't working correctly.You maybe right though
> it could be your system is incorrectly enterupting the UDF disc.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format
>
> Good luck,

Bwaahahahhahahahahahahahaha I'm glad you and your mate aint bothering with
VRG...you're welcome to each other with advice like that...oh and just for
your mates sake as he obviously don't grasp(as with yourself) the basics we
do not copy posts from here as they are generated thru our site for the
search for solution function...oh I do hope this helps...burks

--
VRG Scotty©

www.vistareadygames.com

IceHockeyJason

Re: Flight Sim X can't re-install
It sounds like the user has Sonic Solutions software installed (AKA Roxio
Products)

I would check for updates to those programs, or turn off the DISC DETECTOR
program in your CD Burner software options.