Best Gaming Computer Specs

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Ken

Best Gaming Computer Specs
I am buying a new gaming / multimedia capable computer and I am looking for
suggestions on good gaming rig specs. Can anyone give what they'd consider
the best specs for a gaming computer. This will help me choose a rig and how
much I'll need to spend. Much appreciated.

Chuck

Re: Best Gaming Computer Specs
In very general terms--

Fast, multicore processor
Fast memory (DDR3)
Fast SDD & HD (Decent sized SDDs are not cheap!) A good fast HD is about
double the cost of a more common one of the same capacity.
Dual GPUs (one card) or two fast video cards minimum. Fast, high capability
video cards are expensive, and new "faster better" ones are always coming
out.
Decent DVD/CD burner drive (They are fairly inexpensive, unless you need
"Blueray", which may cause a 5x price increase)
Power Supply (capacity depends a great deal on the video cards) 600W
minimum, 750-900 W or more preferred. Beware cheap "peak rated" Power
Supplies.
The power supply should be "SLI" and/or "Crossfire" approved/rated.
A "Single Buss" supply may be better than a multiple buss design, unless you
can carefully balance loads and outputs.
Multiple Video cards may require a 1Kw or better supply and heavy duty case
cooling.
Case with variable speed fans adequate or better cooling capability, and
easy access to components. Temp monitoring is a plus.
Case prices are not aways a good indication of quality or capability. There
is some concern involving the motherboard layout and case layout and
cabling.
High quality motherboard that is "overclocking friendly", with enough slots
for multiple video cards. ("Cross fire" or "SLI" motherboards)
You cannot mix Nvidia and ATI video cards on the same system without
problems. Motherboard support for AMD/ATI video is available, as is support
for Nvidia.
Don't mix Nvidia SLI video cards and motherboards optimized for AMD/ATI
"Crossfire", Etc..

Fast response LCD display. (Lots of caviats in the specs.)

Windows 7 64b Professional version (allows use of virtualization and win
XP), and 8Gig or more of RAM
Actually, compatability with games without the virtualization and XP is
fairly decent.
One of the problems seems to be some games that run fine with DX 9, and not
so well with DX 10 or 11.
Active UAC can also be a problem.

Remember, Google is your friend!

Cost? You had to ask--bottom cost is around 1k US with prices rapidly going
up with speed and multiple video cards.
4 to 5 k US (and up) might be a reasonable guess for a very high end gaming
desktop, unless you want to get into very high end processor chips at 1.5 k
ea.

"Ken" <kenmendell@rogers.com> wrote in message
>I am buying a new gaming / multimedia capable computer and I am looking for
>suggestions on good gaming rig specs. Can anyone give what they'd consider
>the best specs for a gaming computer. This will help me choose a rig and
>how much I'll need to spend. Much appreciated.

Americano

Re: Best Gaming Computer Specs

[image:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._logo.svg.png]

Wikipedia Wrote:

> *Alienware* is an 'American'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) 'computer hardware'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_hardware) company and a
> wholly-owned subsidiary of 'Dell, Inc.'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell)'[1]'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alienware#cite_note-0) It mainly
> assembles third party components into 'desktops'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_computer) and laptops with custom
> enclosures for high-performance gaming. These products also support
> graphically intense applications such as 'video editing'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-linear_editing_system), simulation,
> and 'audio editing' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_editor).
> Alienware also offers for sale rebadged computer peripherals, such as
> headsets, computer mice, monitors and keyboards. Alienware was founded
> in 1996 by Nelson Gonzalez and Alex Aguila. Alienware's corporate
> headquarters is located in 'The Hammocks'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hammocks,_Florida), 'unincorporated'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unincorporated_area) 'Miami-Dade County,
> Florida' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami-Dade_County,_Florida), near
> 'Miami' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami).'[2]'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alienware#cite_note-1)'[3]'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alienware#cite_note-2)

Here is the link to their website:

'Alienware Computers - Custom-Built Gaming Desktops and Laptops'
(http://www.alienware.com/)

--
Americano

TRYING THE SAME THING OVER, AND EXPECTING A DIFFERENT RESULT = INSANITY
http://www.vistax64.com/images/style...reputation.gif
-*don't forget to say thanks, tip my scales!*-
Ken

Re: Best Gaming Computer Specs
Thanks for that great input. I'll consider all of it. I'm working out a
possible rig right now. What about i7, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480, maybe ASUS
P7P55 Motherboard, 16 Gigs RAM, 2 X 2T WD HD, other stuff in an Antec 1200.
I'm considering this. The Antec 1200 has lots of space, which my previous
tower lacked so much, including several other factors. I don't want to be
caught with less than capable requirements for at least a few years. I also
want to be ready for any serious upgrading I will be doing in the future.

"Chuck" <cdkuder@msn.com> wrote in message
> In very general terms--
>
> Fast, multicore processor
> Fast memory (DDR3)
> Fast SDD & HD (Decent sized SDDs are not cheap!) A good fast HD is about
> double the cost of a more common one of the same capacity.
> Dual GPUs (one card) or two fast video cards minimum. Fast, high
> capability video cards are expensive, and new "faster better" ones are
> always coming out.
> Decent DVD/CD burner drive (They are fairly inexpensive, unless you need
> "Blueray", which may cause a 5x price increase)
> Power Supply (capacity depends a great deal on the video cards) 600W
> minimum, 750-900 W or more preferred. Beware cheap "peak rated" Power
> Supplies.
> The power supply should be "SLI" and/or "Crossfire" approved/rated.
> A "Single Buss" supply may be better than a multiple buss design, unless
> you can carefully balance loads and outputs.
> Multiple Video cards may require a 1Kw or better supply and heavy duty
> case cooling.
> Case with variable speed fans adequate or better cooling capability, and
> easy access to components. Temp monitoring is a plus.
> Case prices are not aways a good indication of quality or capability.
> There is some concern involving the motherboard layout and case layout and
> cabling.
> High quality motherboard that is "overclocking friendly", with enough
> slots for multiple video cards. ("Cross fire" or "SLI" motherboards)
> You cannot mix Nvidia and ATI video cards on the same system without
> problems. Motherboard support for AMD/ATI video is available, as is
> support for Nvidia.
> Don't mix Nvidia SLI video cards and motherboards optimized for AMD/ATI
> "Crossfire", Etc..
>
> Fast response LCD display. (Lots of caviats in the specs.)
>
> Windows 7 64b Professional version (allows use of virtualization and win
> XP), and 8Gig or more of RAM
> Actually, compatability with games without the virtualization and XP is
> fairly decent.
> One of the problems seems to be some games that run fine with DX 9, and
> not so well with DX 10 or 11.
> Active UAC can also be a problem.
>
> Remember, Google is your friend!
>
> Cost? You had to ask--bottom cost is around 1k US with prices rapidly
> going up with speed and multiple video cards.
> 4 to 5 k US (and up) might be a reasonable guess for a very high end
> gaming desktop, unless you want to get into very high end processor chips
> at 1.5 k ea.
>

> "Ken" <kenmendell@rogers.com> wrote in message
>>I am buying a new gaming / multimedia capable computer and I am looking
>>for suggestions on good gaming rig specs. Can anyone give what they'd
>>consider the best specs for a gaming computer. This will help me choose a
>>rig and how much I'll need to spend. Much appreciated.

Ken

Re: Best Gaming Computer Specs
Thanks for that. I love Dell and Alienware. I'm looking for something that
will upgrade well in the future to something CUDA friendly, specifically a
Tesla and/or Quadro, but can also do games in a big way. I'm working out a
possible rig right now. What about i7, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480, maybe ASUS
P7P55 Motherboard, 16 Gigs RAM, 2 X 2T WD HD, other stuff in an Antec 1200.
I'm considering this. The Antec 1200 has lots of space, which my previous
tower lacked so much, including several other factors. I don't want to be
caught with less than capable requirements to handle any task, CUDA upgrades
and other upgrades for at least a few years.

"Americano" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> [image:
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._logo.svg.png]
>

> Wikipedia Wrote:
>>
>> *Alienware* is an 'American'
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) 'computer hardware'
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_hardware) company and a
>> wholly-owned subsidiary of 'Dell, Inc.'
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell)'[1]'
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alienware#cite_note-0) It mainly
>> assembles third party components into 'desktops'
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_computer) and laptops with custom
>> enclosures for high-performance gaming. These products also support
>> graphically intense applications such as 'video editing'
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-linear_editing_system), simulation,
>> and 'audio editing' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_editor).
>> Alienware also offers for sale rebadged computer peripherals, such as
>> headsets, computer mice, monitors and keyboards. Alienware was founded
>> in 1996 by Nelson Gonzalez and Alex Aguila. Alienware's corporate
>> headquarters is located in 'The Hammocks'
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hammocks,_Florida), 'unincorporated'
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unincorporated_area) 'Miami-Dade County,
>> Florida' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami-Dade_County,_Florida), near
>> 'Miami' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami).'[2]'
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alienware#cite_note-1)'[3]'
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alienware#cite_note-2)

> Here is the link to their website:
>

> 'Alienware Computers - Custom-Built Gaming Desktops and Laptops'
> (http://www.alienware.com/)
>

> --
> Americano
>
> TRYING THE SAME THING OVER, AND EXPECTING A DIFFERENT RESULT = INSANITY
> http://www.vistax64.com/images/style...reputation.gif
> -*don't forget to say thanks, tip my scales!*-

Americano

Re: Best Gaming Computer Specs

Yeah, I know what you mean, more room does leave space for upgrading..
makes me ask why hardware hasn't begun to shrink in actual size.. lol,
we wouldn't have to worry about the size of our cases.
Ken;1256274 Wrote:
> Thanks for that. I love Dell and Alienware. I'm looking for something
> that
> will upgrade well in the future to something CUDA friendly, specifically
> Tesla and/or Quadro, but can also do games in a big way. I'm working out
> possible rig right now. What about i7, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480, maybe
> ASUS
> P7P55 Motherboard, 16 Gigs RAM, 2 X 2T WD HD, other stuff in an Antec
> 1200.
> I'm considering this. The Antec 1200 has lots of space, which my
> previous
> tower lacked so much, including several other factors. I don't want to
> be
> caught with less than capable requirements to handle any task, CUDA
> upgrades
> and other upgrades for at least a few years.
>

> "Americano" <guest@newsgroup-email.com> wrote in message
> news:63f1fd398aa6047b65c89b63e04ab2c3@newsgroup-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > [image:
> > >

> > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._logo.svg.png]

> > > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States)) 'computer hardware'
> > > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_hardware)) company and a
> > > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell))'[1]'
> > > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alienware#cite_note-0)) It mainly
> > > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_computer)) and laptops with custom
> > > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-linear_editing_system)), simulation,
> > > encyclopedia' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_editor)).
> > > as
> > > founded
> > > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hammocks,_Florida)), 'unincorporated'
> > > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unincorporated_area)) 'Miami-Dade County,
> > > encyclopedia'
> > > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami-Dade_County,_Florida)), near
> > > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami)).'[2]'
> > > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alienware#cite_note-1))'[3]'
> > > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alienware#cite_note-2))> > > > >
> > >

> > > Here is the link to their website:
> > >

> > > 'Alienware Computers - Custom-Built Gaming Desktops and Laptops'
> > > ('Alienware Computers - Custom-Built Gaming Desktops and Laptops'

> > (http://www.alienware.com/))
> > >

> > > --
> > > Americano
> > >
> > > TRYING THE SAME THING OVER, AND EXPECTING A DIFFERENT RESULT =

> > INSANITY
> > > http://www.vistax64.com/images/style...reputation.gif
> > > -*don't forget to say thanks, tip my scales!*- > >

--
Americano

TRYING THE SAME THING OVER, AND EXPECTING A DIFFERENT RESULT = INSANITY
http://www.vistax64.com/images/style...reputation.gif
-*don't forget to say thanks, tip my scales!*-
Ken

Re: Best Gaming Computer Specs
The first things anyone tells me when building a gaming rig is to go big on
the tower and the power, so the Aptec 1200 and the components I mentioned
seems to be the best choice I've been offered.

> Yeah, I know what you mean, more room does leave space for upgrading..
> makes me ask why hardware hasn't begun to shrink in actual size.. lol,
> we wouldn't have to worry about the size of our cases.
> Ken;1256274 Wrote:
>> Thanks for that. I love Dell and Alienware. I'm looking for something
>> that
>> will upgrade well in the future to something CUDA friendly, specifically
>> Tesla and/or Quadro, but can also do games in a big way. I'm working out
>> possible rig right now. What about i7, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480, maybe
>> ASUS
>> P7P55 Motherboard, 16 Gigs RAM, 2 X 2T WD HD, other stuff in an Antec
>> 1200.
>> I'm considering this. The Antec 1200 has lots of space, which my
>> previous
>> tower lacked so much, including several other factors. I don't want to
>> be
>> caught with less than capable requirements to handle any task, CUDA
>> upgrades
>> and other upgrades for at least a few years.
>>

>> "Americano" <guest@newsgroup-email.com> wrote in message
>> news:63f1fd398aa6047b65c89b63e04ab2c3@newsgroup-gateway.com...> > >

>> > http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._logo.svg.png]

>> > (http://www.alienware.com/))

>> > INSANITY

> --
> Americano
>
> TRYING THE SAME THING OVER, AND EXPECTING A DIFFERENT RESULT = INSANITY
> http://www.vistax64.com/images/style...reputation.gif
> -*don't forget to say thanks, tip my scales!*-

Ken

Re: Best Gaming Computer Specs
Sorry, that's Antec, of course.

> The first things anyone tells me when building a gaming rig is to go big
> on the tower and the power, so the Aptec 1200 and the components I
> mentioned seems to be the best choice I've been offered.
>

> "Americano" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Yeah, I know what you mean, more room does leave space for upgrading..
>> makes me ask why hardware hasn't begun to shrink in actual size.. lol,
>> we wouldn't have to worry about the size of our cases.
>> Ken;1256274 Wrote:
>>> Thanks for that. I love Dell and Alienware. I'm looking for something
>>> that
>>> will upgrade well in the future to something CUDA friendly, specifically
>>> Tesla and/or Quadro, but can also do games in a big way. I'm working out
>>> possible rig right now. What about i7, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480, maybe
>>> ASUS
>>> P7P55 Motherboard, 16 Gigs RAM, 2 X 2T WD HD, other stuff in an Antec
>>> 1200.
>>> I'm considering this. The Antec 1200 has lots of space, which my
>>> previous
>>> tower lacked so much, including several other factors. I don't want to
>>> be
>>> caught with less than capable requirements to handle any task, CUDA
>>> upgrades
>>> and other upgrades for at least a few years.
>>>

>>> "Americano" <guest@newsgroup-email.com> wrote in message
>>> news:63f1fd398aa6047b65c89b63e04ab2c3@newsgroup-gateway.com...> > >

>> --
>> Americano
>>
>> TRYING THE SAME THING OVER, AND EXPECTING A DIFFERENT RESULT = INSANITY
>> http://www.vistax64.com/images/style...reputation.gif
>> -*don't forget to say thanks, tip my scales!*-

Ken

Re: Best Gaming Computer Specs
lol Actually, Aptec makes some very cool products... http://www.aptec.com/

There are other tech Aptecs out there, too. Oh, well. A typo can bring up
cool stuff.