FSX - 64 Bit OS

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

AMHOWLETT

FSX - 64 Bit OS

I recently purchased a new system primarily to run MS Flight Simulator
FSX. The OS on my new righ (Packard Bell iXtreme) is Vista 64bit and I
am already finding out that many addon programs to FSX are not supported
by 64Bit OS.

My question is whether or not I should upgrade to Windows 7. Any
thoughts?
Thanks,
Andrew

--
AMHOWLETT
Slap

Re: FSX - 64 Bit OS

"AMHOWLETT" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I recently purchased a new system primarily to run MS Flight Simulator
> FSX. The OS on my new righ (Packard Bell iXtreme) is Vista 64bit and I
> am already finding out that many addon programs to FSX are not supported
> by 64Bit OS.
>
> My question is whether or not I should upgrade to Windows 7. Any
> thoughts?
> Thanks,
> Andrew

Yes. If you just bought the computer perhaps it has a free upgrade to Win7?
Still go the 64 bit tho.

With that said you mostly need to worry about 64 bit drivers not programs,
and as your system came with 64 bit Vista you won't have a problem driver
wise.

What is not installing for FSX under 64 bit Vista?

AMHOWLETT

Re: FSX - 64 Bit OS

Slap;1168121 Wrote:
> "AMHOWLETT" <guest@newsgroup-email.com> wrote in message
> news:3aae06c3b1218310c1340c9fd976fa1f@newsgroup-gateway.com...> > >
> > >

> > > I recently purchased a new system primarily to run MS Flight

> > Simulator
> > > FSX. The OS on my new righ (Packard Bell iXtreme) is Vista 64bit and

> > > am already finding out that many addon programs to FSX are not

> > supported
> > > by 64Bit OS.
> > >
> > > My question is whether or not I should upgrade to Windows 7. Any
> > > thoughts?
> > > Thanks,
> > > Andrew
> > > > >

> Yes. If you just bought the computer perhaps it has a free upgrade to
> Win7?
> Still go the 64 bit tho.
>
> With that said you mostly need to worry about 64 bit drivers not
> programs,
> and as your system came with 64 bit Vista you won't have a problem
> driver
> wise.
>
> What is not installing for FSX under 64 bit Vista?
> --

Thanks for responding...
The actual program FSX runs like a bomb on this rig - problems only
arise with add on aircraft (eg Cessna Citation X from Wilco Publishing).
Its a bit annoying since Wilco take a very arrogant approach to it and
simply say its not supported. Basically though you are saying that you
would recommend an upgrade to Windows 7 64Bit when it available. I am
eligible for the free upgrade so will keep an eye out for what to do.

> Slap;1168121 Wrote:
>>
>> What is not installing for FSX under 64 bit Vista?
>> --

> Thanks for responding...
> The actual program FSX runs like a bomb on this rig - problems only
> arise with add on aircraft (eg Cessna Citation X from Wilco Publishing).
> Its a bit annoying since Wilco take a very arrogant approach to it and
> simply say its not supported. Basically though you are saying that you
> would recommend an upgrade to Windows 7 64Bit when it available. I am
> eligible for the free upgrade so will keep an eye out for what to do.

Yes Win 7 for sure. The 64 bit version for you as you have a modern
machine. Most everything said about Win 7 has been positive and many are
running the free version of the Release Candidate for the past several
months with few problems.

You might post your question on the Citation X at...
alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim

It has quite a bit more activity then this newsgroup and perhaps someone has
an opinion on that aircraft and 64 bit. I have three aircraft from RealAir
and also UTX, GEX, REX, and mesh. No problems under 64 bit.

--
dave

A Guy Called Tyketto

Re: FSX - 64 Bit OS