vista played games fine then one day stopped working, now wont uninstall or play

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

The_Green_Jew

vista played games fine then one day stopped working, now wont uninstall or play

i recently purchased a custom built rig whitch consists of. Acer Aspire
M3800 Tower Desktop PC, Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD,
DVDRW, Nvidia GT220,HDMI Vista Home Premium. from day one i installed
oblivion, doom 3, star wars empire at war, these 3 were the main ones i
would play, they all worked fine even on the highest grafix and
resolution settings no glitches lags or blue screens, one could say
perfect, turns out it was too good to be true, came down one morning for
a quick goblin hunt on oblivion but when i put the disc in nothing
happened so i tried to open it manually, nothing. so i tried uninstall.
it just displays "setup.exe has stopped working" close the program
button appears. this happens with doom 3 and starwars. how could this
problem have appeared out the blue? esp when sims 1 and the add ons
still run fine. please help its frustrating beond comprehension, its
like giving a child a lolly letting it have a taste then taking it off
them and taunting them with it.

--
The_Green_Jew
The_Green_Jew's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/143186.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: vista played games fine then one day stopped working, now wont uninstall or play
Is Sims 1 on a CD? Are the others on DVDs? You need the disk in for the
DVD games to play, right? I'm guessing your optical drive (which has 2
lasers, one for the DVD and one for the CD) has stopped working correctly.
Either the DVD laser has died or the laser is very dirty.

You can either clean it with a regular CD cleaner disk, or replace the whole
drive. If it's still under guarantee (you say it was purchased 'recently')
then contact the manufacturer and have them check it out.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows