winows vista and direct3D help

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

lrwr14

winows vista and direct3D help

I have just upgrade to vista from xp, and now none of my games work, i
used to have directx 9.c(i think) now i have 10, which i think is good.
i had windows service pack 2 now i hve windows service pack 1 and i no
longer have directx. when i try to play a game (from steam) it doesn't
load were as it did before, and when i load world of goo it says i am
missing direct3D, but i have no idea how to fix this.

Could someone help me please. thanks.

--
lrwr14
peter

Re: winows vista and direct3D help
Install Vista drivers for your particular Video card

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

"lrwr14" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have just upgrade to vista from xp, and now none of my games work, i
> used to have directx 9.c(i think) now i have 10, which i think is good.
> i had windows service pack 2 now i hve windows service pack 1 and i no
> longer have directx. when i try to play a game (from steam) it doesn't
> load were as it did before, and when i load world of goo it says i am
> missing direct3D, but i have no idea how to fix this.
>
> Could someone help me please. thanks.
>

> --
> lrwr14

Chuck

Re: winows vista and direct3D help
You may need to install the last DX 9c "update". Seems that MS left
something out of Vista.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...1-442d8712d553

Caviats-- May or may not be the appropriate download for your version of
Vista-- May or may not solve your problem.
(An earlier version solved a bunch of similar problems on my HP laptop with
Vista Ultimate 32bit.)
Another remote possibility is that your video drivers need to be updated.

"lrwr14" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have just upgrade to vista from xp, and now none of my games work, i
> used to have directx 9.c(i think) now i have 10, which i think is good.
> i had windows service pack 2 now i hve windows service pack 1 and i no
> longer have directx. when i try to play a game (from steam) it doesn't
> load were as it did before, and when i load world of goo it says i am
> missing direct3D, but i have no idea how to fix this.
>
> Could someone help me please. thanks.
>

> --
> lrwr14

Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]

Re: winows vista and direct3D help
DirectX is all there in Windows Vista and Windows 7, but the game probably
uses extra libraries like the Visual Studio runtime, D3DX, XAUDIO2, XACT3,
etc. that have to be installed.

Running the latest DirectSetup End-User Runtime setup will install all the
various realted technologies that games use, but DirectX itself is already
built into every version of the OS since Windows XP SP2.

-Chuck Walbourn
SDE, XNA Developer Connection

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties, and confers no rights.

Chuck

Re: winows vista and direct3D help
You are quite correct in that the SDK should have everything the user needs,
and would likely need to be installed anyway to solve the problem.
(I had forgotten about the SDK being publicly available)
There were also some video driver related problems that should have been
resolved with Vista SP1 and later video drivers.

"Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]" <chuckw@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> DirectX is all there in Windows Vista and Windows 7, but the game probably
> uses extra libraries like the Visual Studio runtime, D3DX, XAUDIO2, XACT3,
> etc. that have to be installed.
>
> Running the latest DirectSetup End-User Runtime setup will install all the
> various realted technologies that games use, but DirectX itself is already
> built into every version of the OS since Windows XP SP2.
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...42(VS.85).aspx
>
> --
> -Chuck Walbourn
> SDE, XNA Developer Connection
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties, and confers no
> rights.

Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]

Re: winows vista and direct3D help
You don't need to install the "DirectX SDK" which is for developers. You do
need to install the "DirectX End-User Runtime" which is for end-users.

--
-Chuck Walbourn
SDE, XNA Developer Connection

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties, and confers no rights.

Riyaad

"Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]" wrote:

> You don't need to install the "DirectX SDK" which is for developers. You do
> need to install the "DirectX End-User Runtime" which is for end-users.
>
> --
> -Chuck Walbourn
> SDE, XNA Developer Connection
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties, and confers no rights.

Riyaad

Re: winows vista and direct3D help
the problem is that you need to upgrade to windows 7

otherwise try installing all the system updates for vista.