I'm a new user and i really want to know, why do games just NOT work with Vista..?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

truthkid

Re: I'm a new user and i really want to know, why do games just NOT work with Vista..?

I can't say I've experienced any issues with gaming on Vista, although I
don't play any on your list anymore. Have you tried running any of the
offending games in compatibility mode? I imagine you're a prime
candidate for running windows 7 when it comes out (or even the RC) as
I've heard it runs XP programs better then vista. I wouldn't know as I'm
only 30% complete in downloading it. Hopefully someone can chime in for
you, I may have a copy of UT2004 with me that I can try installing and
running, I'm away from home so I don't have my software book.

And just because I'm petty, you wouldn't say 100GB of memory, it's a
100GB Hard Drive (memory generally refers to RAM). Disregard if you
don't care.

--
truthkid
Asteroth

Re: I'm a new user and i really want to know, why do games just NOT work with Vista..?

truthkid, thanks for the suggestion and correction (didn't realize my
mistake)

--
Asteroth
truthkid

Re: I'm a new user and i really want to know, why do games just NOT work with Vista..?

Again I'm petty, so flaming/thanking are both in order. But back to your
original question. Are you running the latest versions of all your
programs that run like crap? I'm not going to say Vista is without
flaws, but running older games on newer hardware/os generally doesn't
result in an ideal experience (this is heavily dependent on how the game
is coded). I'll be off work in a few hours, I probably have a copy of
UT2004, I'll see how it runs.

--
truthkid
Asteroth

Re: I'm a new user and i really want to know, why do games just NOT work with Vista..?

Wc3 and D2 Were indeed new versions. UT2004 and SL (starlancer) i am
unaware of any patches for.
Interestingly, i played another mission in starlancer just now, i
finished it like usual, and game crashed. then i loaded the game as an
administrator (something i never had to do for anything to work) and it
worked without a single error. I have no idea if the two events are
connected or maybe the game just stopped glitching, but at least one
problem disapearred, if not temporarily.
However i am still curious to see why these things happen. I understand
vista has its flaws, but is there anything in its programming that makes
it less compatible for video games and more viable for say..programs for
work. I understand that Vista Business is probably intended
for..well..work.

--
Asteroth
truthkid

Re: I'm a new user and i really want to know, why do games just NOT work with Vista..?

Don't let the business suffix throw you off, that just indicates its
vista with X features turned on, and Y features turned off. Try running
all your games as administrator, perhaps UAC is ruining the party. If
they all run better, well then we have at least one perp in the lineup
identified.

--
truthkid
Asteroth

Re: I'm a new user and i really want to know, why do games just NOT work with Vista..?

I tried it again, and i was right. I ran the program again normally,
ended a mission and game crashed but when i ran as administrator the
problem never occured again. Also noticed a difference in the sounds my
CD/DVD drive was making (normally was MUCH louder than as
administrator).
What exactly is going on here? you said UAC, what is that?

Asteroth;1083954 Wrote:
> I tried it again, and i was right. I ran the program again normally,
> ended a mission and game crashed but when i ran as administrator the
> problem never occured again. Also noticed a difference in the sounds my
> CD/DVD drive was making (normally was MUCH louder than as
> administrator).
> What exactly is going on here? you said UAC, what is that?

UAC is User Access Control. ('User Account Control - Wikipedia, the
free encyclopedia' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control))
Essentially it makes an admin account function like a user account
unless specifically asking for administrator rights. It's a measure that
Vista added to protect users from programs taking advantage of most
people assigning their primary login as an administrator for convenience
sake. You could right click the shortcuts of your games and go into the
Compatibility tab and check "Run the process as an Administrator" and
that may or may not clear it up per game.

If you would like to turn it off (which trades of some security with
convenience):

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/48...ntrol-uac.html

--
truthkid
Asteroth

Re: I'm a new user and i really want to know, why do games just NOT work with Vista..?

I think it worked.
So that's one game that's been fixed, thanks a lot for the help, i'll
try the others this weekend or sometime.

--
Asteroth
truthkid

Re: I'm a new user and i really want to know, why do games just NOT work with Vista..?

Great, I hope this clears up the issues on your other games. No luck on
having a copy of UT myself, I'll see if anyone I work with has the games
you mentioned.

--
truthkid
pacinitaly

Re: I'm a new user and i really want to know, why do games just NOT work with Vista..?

is your system 32 or 64 bit

--
pacinitaly

SpellCherkers aren't worth a shirt