Carmen Sandiego (world)

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Garry

Carmen Sandiego (world)
Hi,

Having big problems loading Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego.
Getting "Appcrash" and Quicktime problems.

Microsoft "help" says Carmen is compatible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Garry.
Joe

Re: Carmen Sandiego (world)
"Garry" <ferrite@optusnet.com.au> wrote in news:eUd8frE2JHA.5896
@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:

> Hi,
>
> Having big problems loading Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego.
> Getting "Appcrash" and Quicktime problems.
>
> Microsoft "help" says Carmen is compatible.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks Garry.

Update Quicktime (http://www.apple.com/itunes - latest itunes also has
Quicktime)

Update video card drivers

Update audio card drivers

Update DirectX (http://www.microsoft.com/DirectX - Follow links "For
Gamers" and install the latest DirectX (should get a DXWEBSETUP.EXE file
to run on your system))

Respond here if the game fails with your computer make and model.

--
Joe
Garry

Re: Carmen Sandiego (world)
Thanks for trying Joe, but i am still getting "Appcrash" on both Carmen
World and Carmen Time.
Even loaded "RegCure" Program that is supposed to fix Appcrashes.

Using clone PC, AMD 1GHz chip, 1Mb memory, (NVIDIA)? Graphics.

Garry.

"Joe" <JoeQ@public.tv> wrote in message
> "Garry" <ferrite@optusnet.com.au> wrote in news:eUd8frE2JHA.5896
> @TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Having big problems loading Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego.
>> Getting "Appcrash" and Quicktime problems.
>>
>> Microsoft "help" says Carmen is compatible.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks Garry.

> Update Quicktime (http://www.apple.com/itunes - latest itunes also has
> Quicktime)
>
> Update video card drivers
>
> Update audio card drivers
>
> Update DirectX (http://www.microsoft.com/DirectX - Follow links "For
> Gamers" and install the latest DirectX (should get a DXWEBSETUP.EXE file
> to run on your system))
>
> Respond here if the game fails with your computer make and model.
>
> --
> Joe

Matt Hart

Re: Carmen Sandiego (world)
Hey,

First and foremost, click this link:
http://support.selectsoft.com/produc...(Windows«_XP)_

Remember, google is always your friend. If you've had a problem on the
computer, chances are you aren't the first one.

You can also try just running it in compatability mode via right click on
the icon.

If that doesn't work, you may want to try and find an older version of
quicktime if any still exist. In rare instances, downgrading can actually
help. Quicktime is notorious for giving problems in older games.

"Garry" <ferrite@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Having big problems loading Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego.
> Getting "Appcrash" and Quicktime problems.
>
> Microsoft "help" says Carmen is compatible.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks Garry.

Matt Hart

Re: Carmen Sandiego (world)
This was also posted by a user at amazon. I couldn't find the "Use an older
program with this version of Windows" selection, but I'm sure running
compatability mode will give you the same options. I guess Run As
Administrator might be helpful too.

It's a little frustrating trying to get "Where in the World is Carmen
Sandiego?" to work in the Windows Vista environment. Here is a useful
workaround.

Go to the Start Menu and select "Control Panel". Click on "Programs". Under
Programs and Features, choose "Use an older program with this version of
Windows" and select "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" from the list
of programs. You will now have several options as to how you want the game
to run. I found that the game worked best in the Windows 98 environment,
with the display set to 640x480 with 256 colors. When you're done setting
the game up, right click on the Carmen Sandiego shortcut and select "Run as
Administrator". Wallah!

The game itself is fun (once you get it to run). I was expecting a more
modern version of the game (i.e. similar to what I found in the Elementary
Advantage software pack) but for the price, it's not bad.

"Matt Hart" <Dragoonboy2004@aol.com> wrote in message
newsDDDFEBF-248F-4EE0-8C57-15ACFF7F46AB@microsoft.com...
> Hey,
>
> First and foremost, click this link:
> http://support.selectsoft.com/produc...(Windows«_XP)_
>
> Remember, google is always your friend. If you've had a problem on the
> computer, chances are you aren't the first one.
>
> You can also try just running it in compatability mode via right click on
> the icon.
>
> If that doesn't work, you may want to try and find an older version of
> quicktime if any still exist. In rare instances, downgrading can actually
> help. Quicktime is notorious for giving problems in older games.
>

> "Garry" <ferrite@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Having big problems loading Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego.
>> Getting "Appcrash" and Quicktime problems.
>>
>> Microsoft "help" says Carmen is compatible.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks Garry.

Garry

Re: Carmen Sandiego (world)
Thanks for your help, Matt.

I finally took the pc to the shop and got him to load it, but it (and Carmen
Time) have been freezing.
It helps if I shut down all progs, including disconnecting modem.

Garry.