Do these games run on Vista 64?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Bob

Do these games run on Vista 64?
For Xmus I'm going to buy a laptop and put Vista 64 on it.

Civ4
SH3
Falcon Allied Air Force
Anno 1503
MTW2
Saitek X52

And any opinion as to which brand of laptop?

Thanks a lot,
Bob

Paul Smith

Re: Do these games run on Vista 64?
"Bob" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
> For Xmus I'm going to buy a laptop and put Vista 64 on it.

> Civ4

Yes.

> SH3

Yes. BUT you'll need to use a no-CD crack to remove the copy protection -
as the StarForce driver it ships with is only 32-bit.

> Falcon Allied Air Force
> Anno 1503
> MTW2
> Saitek X52

Don't know about the above.

> And any opinion as to which brand of laptop?

Just make sure its got a decent graphics card if you want it for gaming.
Don't cheap out on it either, as unlike a desktop you're stuck with the
graphics card for the life of the machine.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

Matt Hart

Re: Do these games run on Vista 64?
If you want a good brand of laptop, alienware is your best bet.

You can get decent ones through Dell. As said earlier, stay away from cheap
laptops. What you buy is what you get, only the memory is usually upgradable
without an expensive dock.

"Paul Smith" <Paul@nospam.windowsresource.net> wrote in message
> "Bob" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
>> For Xmus I'm going to buy a laptop and put Vista 64 on it.

>> Civ4

> Yes.
>
>> SH3

> Yes. BUT you'll need to use a no-CD crack to remove the copy protection -
> as the StarForce driver it ships with is only 32-bit.
>
>> Falcon Allied Air Force
>> Anno 1503
>> MTW2
>> Saitek X52

> Don't know about the above.
>
>> And any opinion as to which brand of laptop?

> Just make sure its got a decent graphics card if you want it for gaming.
> Don't cheap out on it either, as unlike a desktop you're stuck with the
> graphics card for the life of the machine.
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience.
> http://www.dasmirnov.net/

Joe

Re: Do these games run on Vista 64?
"Matt Hart" <Dragoonboy2004@aol.com> wrote in

> If you want a good brand of laptop, alienware is your best bet.
>
> You can get decent ones through Dell. As said earlier, stay away from
> cheap laptops. What you buy is what you get, only the memory is
> usually upgradable without an expensive dock.

Look at ASUS's sometime Matt, I used to think Alienware was good, but why
spend $3000 when a $1000 notebook does the job, looks better is actually
still considered a laptop (because you can hold it on your lap without
crushing your pelvis, and actually runs for more than 20 minutes on
battery)

Bob was looking to run a bunch of older games, technically he could
probably run it all on a $500 dollar 17" HP notebook.

Also, if money is no object I think Voodoo PCs are built better, but that's
IMHO, so don't get mad.

--
Joe
Matt Hart

Re: Do these games run on Vista 64?
Apparantly you've never tried running Civ 4.

A 1000$ notebook may do the job now, but what about the next game he wants
to play?

Laptops are almost non-upgradable. It's not worth it to get a cheapie laptop
and regret it later. I'm not a big fan of ASUS to be honest, but they are an
okay brand. Alienware just guarantees that you're getting everything up to
date.

As for being big laptops, What's wrong with that? Someone created the notion
a while ago that laptops have to weigh under a pound for them to be good,
but what's the point? You can always set it on a desk or tv tray regardless
of weight.

"Joe" <JoeQ@public.tv> wrote in message
> "Matt Hart" <Dragoonboy2004@aol.com> wrote in
>
>> If you want a good brand of laptop, alienware is your best bet.
>>
>> You can get decent ones through Dell. As said earlier, stay away from
>> cheap laptops. What you buy is what you get, only the memory is
>> usually upgradable without an expensive dock.

> Look at ASUS's sometime Matt, I used to think Alienware was good, but why
> spend $3000 when a $1000 notebook does the job, looks better is actually
> still considered a laptop (because you can hold it on your lap without
> crushing your pelvis, and actually runs for more than 20 minutes on
> battery)
>
> Bob was looking to run a bunch of older games, technically he could
> probably run it all on a $500 dollar 17" HP notebook.
>
> Also, if money is no object I think Voodoo PCs are built better, but
> that's
> IMHO, so don't get mad.
>
> --
> Joe

RonS WIN TEAM

Joe;1043264 Wrote:

> Look at ASUS's sometime Matt, I used to think Alienware was good, but
> why
> spend $3000 when a $1000 notebook does the job, looks better is
> actually
> still considered a laptop (because you can hold it on your lap without
> crushing your pelvis, and actually runs for more than 20 minutes on
> battery)
>
> Bob was looking to run a bunch of older games, technically he could
> probably run it all on a $500 dollar 17" HP notebook.
>
> Also, if money is no object I think Voodoo PCs are built better, but
> that's
> IMHO, so don't get mad.
>
> --
> Joe

Joe’s got a good point here with this $500 laptop statement.

He’s also got a good point about ASUS machines. There are a couple
different versions here on this laptop chooser site from Microsoft:
'Windows Laptop Scout'
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-laptop-scout/). You can change
the different sliders to give you a group of laptops that fit your
specs. Lets you spec out something that’s tailored toward gaming if you
want.

Cheers,

--
RonS WIN TEAM

::Ron S

Windows Outreach Team
Check us out on 'Facebook' (http://www.facebook.com/windows)
::
Matt Hart

Re: Do these games run on Vista 64?
Again, though...

I can almost guarantee you that he's going to eventually play different
games, newer games. Especially with that lineup that he listed.

CIV4 isn't that old of a game.

"RonS WIN TEAM" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Joe;1043264 Wrote:
>>
>> Look at ASUS's sometime Matt, I used to think Alienware was good, but
>> why
>> spend $3000 when a $1000 notebook does the job, looks better is
>> actually
>> still considered a laptop (because you can hold it on your lap without
>> crushing your pelvis, and actually runs for more than 20 minutes on
>> battery)
>>
>> Bob was looking to run a bunch of older games, technically he could
>> probably run it all on a $500 dollar 17" HP notebook.
>>
>> Also, if money is no object I think Voodoo PCs are built better, but
>> that's
>> IMHO, so don't get mad.
>>
>> --
>> Joe

> Joe's got a good point here with this $500 laptop statement.
>
> He's also got a good point about ASUS machines. There are a couple
> different versions here on this laptop chooser site from Microsoft:
> 'Windows Laptop Scout'
> (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-laptop-scout/). You can change
> the different sliders to give you a group of laptops that fit your
> specs. Lets you spec out something that's tailored toward gaming if you
> want.
>
> Cheers,
>

> --
> RonS WIN TEAM
>
> ::Ron S
>
> Windows Outreach Team
> Check us out on 'Facebook' (http://www.facebook.com/windows)
> ::

Bob

"Matt Hart" <Dragoonboy2004@aol.com> wrote in message
> Again, though...
>
> I can almost guarantee you that he's going to eventually play different
> games, newer games. Especially with that lineup that he listed.
>
> CIV4 isn't that old of a game.

I don't know about that. I'm old and getting older.

Bob

Re: Do these games run on Vista 64?

"Paul Smith" <Paul@nospam.windowsresource.net> wrote in message
> "Bob" <fake@fake.com> wrote in message
>> For Xmus I'm going to buy a laptop and put Vista 64 on it.

>> Civ4

> Yes.
>
>> SH3

> Yes. BUT you'll need to use a no-CD crack to remove the copy protection -
> as the StarForce driver it ships with is only 32-bit.

So that means that all my old software for winxp will not run on Vista 64?
(I know nothing about laptops, disabled and in a wheelchair). And if they
got a cracked SH3, how about SH4?

Joe

> Apparantly you've never tried running Civ 4.
>
> A 1000$ notebook may do the job now, but what about the next game he
> wants to play?
>
> Laptops are almost non-upgradable. It's not worth it to get a cheapie
> laptop and regret it later. I'm not a big fan of ASUS to be honest,
> but they are an okay brand. Alienware just guarantees that you're
> getting everything up to date.
>
> As for being big laptops, What's wrong with that? Someone created the
> notion a while ago that laptops have to weigh under a pound for them
> to be good, but what's the point? You can always set it on a desk or
> tv tray regardless of weight.

Actually my point is the $1000 asus will run circles (performance wise)
around the Toshiba $1500 Qosmio gaming laptop, so bang for your buck for
gaming, ASUS.

ASUS has a modular video card, but honestly, with a 9800m, you'll be
fine. After 3 years you'll want to buy a new computer (Desktop or
otherwise) instead of trying to upgrade anyways.

Also I have played Civ4 on and off for the last 2-3 years (or so it
feels), it's the only game I have installed on my $500 toshiba notebook.
That thing won't run WoW smoothly, but Civ 4 is turned based and while
it's not amazing, it still runs better. You don't need a $3000 PC to run
Civilization.

Nothing wrong with big laptops, but when I think laptop I think portable,
and I don't consider Alienwares "portable". Maybe that's not a selling
point for him, so whatever.

Quality, Alien sure has the OS dialed in and running smooth, but so does
ASUS, more so than any other system. I trust ASUS as I've used their
products since the 80386 days, and no major issues/failures (talking
mobo's of course), now they are doing notebooks that look and feel good,
run good have a ton of extras above and beyond what the big 3 mfgs do. I
look at aliens and I see bloated everything, bloated cases, extra plastic
everywhere, etc.

guy brings an alienware desktop to a lan party, that's 1 less spot for
another system. Just saying.

Hell, if we were talking desktops I'd rather get a Voodoo or a Blackbird
(and I dispise HP).

imo, :P
--
Joe