Installing Bioshock Setup.exe stops working

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

johniboy1

Installing Bioshock Setup.exe stops working

Okay i just bought bioshock for PC a new copy and for some reason every
single time i try installing it it asks me for permision for setup.exe
to run it and then setup.exe just stops working. I dont know what to do
i mean i have all the minimum requirements i just dont know what to do.

--
johniboy1
johniboy1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/95795.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Andrew Murray

Re: Installing Bioshock Setup.exe stops working
At a guess, it's the User Account Control thing blocking your ability to
install the game.

I suggest you try these three options:

1) Log on as Administrator and re-run the setup, and install the game for
access by "all users" - which means it will be available under a standard
user account; OR

2) Right click the setup.exe file and select "Run as Administrator" and
enter the Admin password if prompted; OR

3) UAC can be turned off ; go to User Accounts (in Control Panel) and on the
first screen there's an option to turn UAC on/off. Try turning it ff and
rerun the set up for yoru game. This might depend on the edition of Vista
you have - these instructions are for Vista Ultimate.

"johniboy1" <johniboy1.3rl3bg@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Okay i just bought bioshock for PC a new copy and for some reason every
> single time i try installing it it asks me for permision for setup.exe
> to run it and then setup.exe just stops working. I dont know what to do
> i mean i have all the minimum requirements i just dont know what to do.
>

> --
> johniboy1
> johniboy1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/95795.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...es/1172782.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

johniboy1

Re: Installing Bioshock Setup.exe stops working

I dont believe that problem is that since it is on a laptop 1 year old
used with I the only usser acount on it. I did thoug try what you told
me but didnt work. I have Vista home premium 32 bit and i do have all
minimum requirements and i am waiting for a reply which i dont know how
long will take from 2K

--
johniboy1
johniboy1's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/95795.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...es/1172783.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Joe

Re: Installing Bioshock Setup.exe stops working
johniboy1 <johniboy1.3rl3bg@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in

> Okay i just bought bioshock for PC a new copy and for some reason every
> single time i try installing it it asks me for permision for setup.exe
> to run it and then setup.exe just stops working. I dont know what to do
> i mean i have all the minimum requirements i just dont know what to do.

Delete your temporary files.

Right-Click your C: drive
Click Properties
Click the Disk Cleanup button
Tell it you want to check all user files
Check all the boxes in the list that comes up
Click OK or whatever to delete said files.

Run setup from the DVD again.

--
Joe
Joe

Re: Installing Bioshock Setup.exe stops working
"Andrew Murray" <admurray.antispam@nospam.iinet.net.au> wrote in

> At a guess, it's the User Account Control thing blocking your ability
> to install the game.
>
> I suggest you try these three options:
>
> 1) Log on as Administrator and re-run the setup, and install the game
> for access by "all users" - which means it will be available under a
> standard user account; OR
>
> 2) Right click the setup.exe file and select "Run as Administrator"
> and enter the Admin password if prompted; OR
>
> 3) UAC can be turned off ; go to User Accounts (in Control Panel) and
> on the first screen there's an option to turn UAC on/off. Try turning
> it ff and rerun the set up for yoru game. This might depend on the
> edition of Vista you have - these instructions are for Vista Ultimate.

Buzz, thanks for playing Andrew, What's he won Al?

First off Administrator account in Vista is disabled, you should not be
able to log into it, nor should you ever try.

When Setup Prompts you to "Continue or Cancel" that means the file is
trying to run in admin mode, no need to right-click and choose run as
administrator.

lastly, You should never turn off UAC, it really doesn't change anything,
your setup program is failing to start, it's not really a permission
error.

--
Joe
Joe

Re: Installing Bioshock Setup.exe stops working
johniboy1 <johniboy1.3rn0rc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in

> I dont believe that problem is that since it is on a laptop 1 year old
> used with I the only usser acount on it. I did thoug try what you told
> me but didnt work. I have Vista home premium 32 bit and i do have all
> minimum requirements and i am waiting for a reply which i dont know how
> long will take from 2K

Laptops do not run this game very well Johni, unless you have something
with a dedicated vid card like an ASUS, MSI, or one of those gaming
laptops.

Good luck, try my suggestion of deleting your temp files, locked/old temp
files can cause Install Shield to simply fail to start. Deleting them might
help.

--
Joe