Punk buster and Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Elite879

Punk buster and Vista

Yes, that's right, another problem with punkbuster and Vista =/
After say, 25-30 mins of gameplay on battlefield 2142 pressing the esc
key crashes the game, so does a map change. Also after 45 or so mins the
game crashes anyway. If either of these crashes happen My comp gets a
complete recourse lock up and I have to restart it via the button. It
worked fine when I had xp but since getting a vista comp this is what
happens (Means I don't play it much, lol)

This problem might have already be addressed but looking through 142
pages for a thread about this is a bit too much lol. I've recently
wanted to start playing 2142 again but it's kinda hard when it keeps
crashing all the time, when I'm in the middle of destroying the enemy
Titan >_>

--
Elite879
Elite879

Re: Punk buster and Vista

wow, a whole week and not 1 reply >_>

--
Elite879
Elite879

Re: Punk buster and Vista

2 weeks =/

--
Elite879
Elite879

Re: Punk buster and Vista

3 weeks..........

--
Elite879
Matt Hart

Re: Punk buster and Vista
Two things.

142 pages in a thread is how most of us have to find the answers, what makes
you think you're not going to get to enjoy the fun in that?

....and also, what makes you think its punkbuster? Are you running something
you shouldn't be? I haven't read about Vista giving large amounts of issues
to punkbuster (it's used in more games than battlefield).

"Elite879" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Yes, that's right, another problem with punkbuster and Vista =/
> After say, 25-30 mins of gameplay on battlefield 2142 pressing the esc
> key crashes the game, so does a map change. Also after 45 or so mins the
> game crashes anyway. If either of these crashes happen My comp gets a
> complete recourse lock up and I have to restart it via the button. It
> worked fine when I had xp but since getting a vista comp this is what
> happens (Means I don't play it much, lol)
>
> This problem might have already be addressed but looking through 142
> pages for a thread about this is a bit too much lol. I've recently
> wanted to start playing 2142 again but it's kinda hard when it keeps
> crashing all the time, when I'm in the middle of destroying the enemy
> Titan >_>
>

> --
> Elite879

Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]

Re: Punk buster and Vista
As always, start with making sure you have the latest patch for your game
installed. Punkbuster did have some compat issues with Windows Vista at
release, but they've been fixed for some time.

--
-Chuck Walbourn
SDE, XNA Developer Connection

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties, and confers no rights.

Elite879

Re: Punk buster and Vista

5 weeks........

--
Elite879
Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]

Re: Punk buster and Vista
It's been so long nobody even knows what your question was :>

Make sure you have any latest patch needed for your game. Punkbuster had
some issues on Windows Vista early on, but they were addressed years ago.

--
-Chuck Walbourn
SDE, XNA Developer Connection

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warrenties, and confers no rights.

pauliewalnuts

Re: Punk buster and Vista

Srs gamers use XP3.

--
pauliewalnuts
Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]

Re: Punk buster and Vista
Windows XP was an excellent OS for it's time, and many fine applications
were developed and are still developed on it. It is, however, an OS written
for single-core machines with half a gigabyte or less RAM running 2D blit
video cards. Times have changed.

Through the Service Packs Windows XP has been patched to be a bit more
modern, but it is fundamentally limited by a video driver model developed in
the late 90s, a scheduler written for one or two CPU multiprocessors
(originally assumed ot always be in distinct chips rather than the multicore
designs dominating today), and a 32-bit memory model that limits
applications to at most 2 GB of virtual memory and strictly less than 4 GB
of physical RAM.

"Srs gamers" are fine running Windows XP SP3 if they have a single-core or
maybe dual-core CPU, 2 GB of RAM, and a Direct3D 9 video card. Anything more
than that is wasting hardware running a legacy OS.