City of Heroes and City of Villains for Windows

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Ken

City of Heroes and City of Villains for Windows
Has anyone here played City of Heroes or City of Villains for Windows? Does
it play well on Vista? What did you think of the game overall? Thanks.

Joe

Re: City of Heroes and City of Villains for Windows
"Ken" <kenmendell@rogers.com> wrote in

> Has anyone here played City of Heroes or City of Villains for Windows?
> Does it play well on Vista? What did you think of the game overall?

CoH and CoV is celebrating their 5th anniversery this week, it's a really
fun game, little bit of a learning curve, but it's a lot of fun.

I've played it off and on for 5 years, mostly off, but I was playing this
week and the game runs just fine in Vista. You can download the client
online, might have to run it as admin, but it has no problems that I
could see.

If you have a nVidia 8x00+ video card the game supports physX physics
acceleration, so cloth effects look really nice.

Best part is just making super heroes, their costume customization
options are amazing, and really fun to play with. You can make your own
Missions now and players can rate your mission, give feedback, etc. it's
really amazing.

Champions ONline is coming out soon, it looks to be good as well (same
company designed/created both, but has long since abandoned City of
Heroes to NCSoft, but NCSoft has put a lot of support into CoH)

--
Joe
Ken

Re: City of Heroes and City of Villains for Windows
Thanks. Are they offering anything special for the anniversary?

I bought the game, but are you saying it's free now?

Do you have to have finished the game through before you're allowed to
design missions/levels?

Thanks.

> Thanks. Are they offering anything special for the anniversary?
>
> I bought the game, but are you saying it's free now?
>
> Do you have to have finished the game through before you're allowed to
> design missions/levels?

It was free for the week of the anniversary, I don't usually play the
game except on free weekends with my old account.

No, you can do mission design I think fairly early, but I noticed most of
the good missions are fairly high level. You can design lower level
missions, but couldn't hurt to get 20-30 under your belt before you
start.

Only thing I'd say is bad about the game is it's starting to show it's
age, the textures are fairly low resolution by todays standards, and
compared to Champions Online the character/costime design is not quite
there. It's still a ton of fun, and easy to pick up.

--
Joe
Ken

Re: City of Heroes and City of Villains for Windows
I've heard that City of Villains is slightly more streamlined and indulgent
with the character and level editing than City of Heroes, but both are
similar and intercompatible.