Sid Meier's Civ 4 and 2K

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Zagnoc

Sid Meier's Civ 4 and 2K

I've had several months of back and forth with 2k about Civ 4 with no
results about 2 error messages I received while using my Home Premium
Vista. The 1st error message came when I tried to start using Civ 4
again after several weeks of not playing, the message said:
"Cannot locate the CD-Rom"
"Please insert the correct CD-Rom, select ok and restart application."

To myself I said no biggie I will just uninstall and reinstall that
should solve the problem and run my registry cleaner and file search
programs to clear out the corruption as well as defrag but upon
attempting to uninstall I received this message:
Error Code: -5004 : 0x80041f42
Error Information:
*C:\Program Files\Common
Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\12\00\Int el32\iKernel.dll
>inc\CoCreate.cpp (44)
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1390)

PAPP:Sid Meier's Civilization 4
PVENDOR:Firaxis Games (##IDS_PRODUCT_URL##)
PGUID:CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8
$11.0.0.28844
So I contacted 2K and they gave all kinds of excuses as to the problem
and how to fix it. None of which worked. I've also reinstalled DX9.
The problem redirects me to InstallShield where I find no help cause
they refer me back to 2K with the message that 2K has formatted a
corrupted InstallShield file into there disc.
Needless to say 2K has not answered back on this nor will they
acknowledge that is the problem yet admantly say their game is Windows
compatible (bah humbug) definitely not with Vista.

So any help would be appreciated.

I've also found I've a problem with compatibility with my Civ 3
Complete but at least I can play it whereas Civ4 is unplayable now.

--
Zagnoc
remove_ntcanuck@hotmail.com

Re: Sid Meier's Civ 4 and 2K
Zagnoc wrote:

> I've had several months of back and forth with 2k about Civ 4 with no
> results about 2 error messages I received while using my Home Premium
> Vista. The 1st error message came when I tried to start using Civ 4
> again after several weeks of not playing, the message said:
> "Cannot locate the CD-Rom"
> "Please insert the correct CD-Rom, select ok and restart application."

Just FYI,
For Vista and upcoming Win7, the OS keeps different
locations for files and saved games for different
profiles and permissions when installing and running.
Run game same account as you installed it for
best performance.
ie: Install under Admin account and set game
link icon under 'compatibility' section to 'run
as administrator'..should keep all files together.

'Seek and ye shall find'
NT Canuck
Zagnoc

Re: Sid Meier's Civ 4 and 2K

I've done that and much more but still unable to uninstall the game or
play it because the Cannot locate disk. What I have found out is that
Microsoft has posted on their site that all of Civ3 and Civ4 except for
BTS are incompatible with Vista. Due to some failure in the software
files DX9 and InstallShield used by 2K. So needless to say since all my
favorite games are listed as incompatible with Vista. I've proceeded to
reformat all my computers back to Windows Xp. Vista is like ME to me a
total waste of money and time to deal with. The only thing I found
workable was the picture show and video part all the rest was a major
foul up and not made to be compatible with gaming.

--
Zagnoc
Paul Smith

Re: Sid Meier's Civ 4 and 2K
Civilization IV works fine on Windows Vista.

The error you mention is typical of the copy protection being tripped up,
sometimes as a result of installing a Virtual CD/DVD drive software.

Running a registry cleaner is a bad idea, and defragmenting will have no
effect at all on this.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

"Zagnoc" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I've had several months of back and forth with 2k about Civ 4 with no
> results about 2 error messages I received while using my Home Premium
> Vista. The 1st error message came when I tried to start using Civ 4
> again after several weeks of not playing, the message said:
> "Cannot locate the CD-Rom"
> "Please insert the correct CD-Rom, select ok and restart application."
>
> To myself I said no biggie I will just uninstall and reinstall that
> should solve the problem and run my registry cleaner and file search
> programs to clear out the corruption as well as defrag but upon
> attempting to uninstall I received this message:
> Error Code: -5004 : 0x80041f42
> Error Information:
> *C:\Program Files\Common
> Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\12\00\Int el32\iKernel.dll
>>inc\CoCreate.cpp (44)
>>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1390)

> PAPP:Sid Meier's Civilization 4
> PVENDOR:Firaxis Games (##IDS_PRODUCT_URL##)
> PGUID:CFBCE791-2D53-4FCE-B3FB-D6E01F4112E8
> $11.0.0.28844
> So I contacted 2K and they gave all kinds of excuses as to the problem
> and how to fix it. None of which worked. I've also reinstalled DX9.
> The problem redirects me to InstallShield where I find no help cause
> they refer me back to 2K with the message that 2K has formatted a
> corrupted InstallShield file into there disc.
> Needless to say 2K has not answered back on this nor will they
> acknowledge that is the problem yet admantly say their game is Windows
> compatible (bah humbug) definitely not with Vista.
>
> So any help would be appreciated.
>
> I've also found I've a problem with compatibility with my Civ 3
> Complete but at least I can play it whereas Civ4 is unplayable now.
>

> --
> Zagnoc

Zagnoc

Re: Sid Meier's Civ 4 and 2K

Well no matter because I went to Microsoft and found they've listed Sid
Meier's Civ 4 as not compatible with Vista.
Also, I've not installed anything such as Virtual, it just stopped
working when I went back to play.
But, again no matter. I've put Vista in the box with all the other bad
software I've bought over the years. I've tried to load my Windows XP
on to that computer but Vista shut it down literally, so now I'm in the
process of letting a pc tech remove Vista from my machine.
'Windows Vista Compatibility Center'
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...?type=Software)

--
Zagnoc
Paul Smith

Re: Sid Meier's Civ 4 and 2K

> Well no matter because I went to Microsoft and found they've listed Sid
> Meier's Civ 4 as not compatible with Vista.
> Also, I've not installed anything such as Virtual, it just stopped
> working when I went back to play.
> But, again no matter. I've put Vista in the box with all the other bad
> software I've bought over the years. I've tried to load my Windows XP
> on to that computer but Vista shut it down literally, so now I'm in the
> process of letting a pc tech remove Vista from my machine.
> 'Windows Vista Compatibility Center'
> (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...?type=Software)

Microsoft's job isn't listing compatibility with all the millions of bits of
Windows software out there.

They're simply repeating what the publisher lists as supported, and
supported doesn't mean compatible or not, just if its supported or not. But
I can tell you now I've been playing Civ 4, original version with and
without all expansion packs on Windows Vista with no issues since 2006.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.
Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience.
http://www.dasmirnov.net/

Zagnoc

Re: Sid Meier's Civ 4 and 2K

My experience with Vista and Civ3, Civ3 complete, Civ4, and numerous
other free games online has been totally abysmal. I wish I had never
bought Vista. If anyone asks me about Vista I'll tell them to not waste
the money. The game computer I had installed with Vista died. So I'm
burying it before the stink of it overwhelms me and going back to Xp. So
thanks for your wonderful advice but since I am not a tech as you appear
to be using Vista is waste of my time.

Zagnoc wrote:

> I've done that and much more but still unable to uninstall the game or
> play it because the Cannot locate disk. What I have found out is that
> Microsoft has posted on their site that all of Civ3 and Civ4 except for
> BTS are incompatible with Vista.

What Microsoft should look into is releasing something
like a nocd patch for those games, sort of a hint.

On other hand there is nothing more ironic
than a Microsoft game that won't play on
a Microsoft Operating System. Sadists?

'Seek and ye shall find'
NT Canuck