Nvlddmkm stopped responding error

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Si

Nvlddmkm stopped responding error
Does anyone know how to fix this error? I know it's been around for a while
but it's just started to happen to me and I don't know how to stop it. My
system has been rock solid for ages and I am normally able to play the most
graphically intensive games without any problems. I have had a look on the
web but it seems this error has been going on for a couple of years now and
there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate hearing from you.

Cheers.

Si

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
ASUS P5N-E SLI SKT LGA 775 Mobo
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz
BFG 8800 Ultra
2GB Corsair DDR2 XMS-6400C4 TwinX
Corsair 620W HX Series Modular SLi
500GB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive
Samsung SyncMaster 226BW Widescreen Monitor

Joe

Re: Nvlddmkm stopped responding error
"Si" <sp@m.sucks> wrote in news:e5RFDHWuJHA.1240@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:

> Does anyone know how to fix this error? I know it's been around for a
> while but it's just started to happen to me and I don't know how to
> stop it. My system has been rock solid for ages and I am normally able
> to play the most graphically intensive games without any problems. I
> have had a look on the web but it seems this error has been going on
> for a couple of years now and there doesn't seem to be a definitive
> answer.

> ASUS P5N-E SLI SKT LGA 775 Mobo
> Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz
> BFG 8800 Ultra
> 2GB Corsair DDR2 XMS-6400C4 TwinX
> Corsair 620W HX Series Modular SLi

your nVidia driver for your video card (most likely) is crashing. Vista
can shut down the video driver and restart it without crashing your
system, but usually this is an issue with your video card overheating, or
the chips failing under load.

It's great that your system has been rock solid for ages, but now it's
not. My only thought is, "the reason chips have fans/heatsinks on them is
because when they get too hot they take damage, but even if you cool the
chips constantly, they still produce heat and still incur damage, just
not as quickly."

Try a different video card, or use your onboard card if your mobo has one
(Just for testing...) just pull the 8800 out of your system and reboot,
make sure you have updated drivers for the video card downloaded in case
you need them.

--
Joe
RiverDog

Re: Nvlddmkm stopped responding error
Hey Si. I've had the same experience. Definitely, update your video drivers
as I've found this to be the solution for me. Also, you might try NVIDIA
Control Panel - 3D Settings-Adjust Image Settings and make sure its set to
"Use the advanced 3D image settings".

Regards

RiverDog