BF2142 Punkbuster/EA/Vista Woes

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Warlord Kentax

BF2142 Punkbuster/EA/Vista Woes

CPU Type: AMD 64
CPU Speed: 3.01 GHz
RAM Memory: 4GB
Operating System: Windows Vista 32 bit
Video Card Type: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS
Video Card Driver Version: 7.15.11.8208

Network Speed: Faster than DSL/Cable 1Mbps
Router: NETGEAR WNDR3300

Ok, so I've been trying to get Battle Field 2142 to work on my computer
for a long time now (months). I'm having a terrible time.

When I try to use BF2142 the splash screen comes up, the screen goes
black, part of the screen comes back as my desktop for a second then
goes black, then it all goes back to my desktop and a generic windows
error "BF2142.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to
stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if
a solution is available."

In XP compatibility mode it fails to start the game and says "Please
ensure Battlefield 2142 Install Disc is in the drive, select OK and
restart the application."

I have used "run as administrator" every time and it makes no
difference. On a side note, for some reason the check box to make it run
as administrator every time is grayed out and I cannot check it.

I can get the game to run in Win 98 compatibility mode just fine,
except I get kicked by punkbuster every time I join a game, and this is
the list of the error and processes active when the game runs:

[12.16.2008 13:27:45] RESTRICTION: Service Abnormality
[12.16.2008 13:41:54] RESTRICTION: Service Abnormality
[12.16.2008 13:44:03] RESTRICTION: Service Abnormality

The following are the processes that are active when I am in win 98
compatibility mode. The game will not even start in win xp compatibility
mode and will not start when I use no compatibility mode.

Image Name PID Services
========================= ========
System Idle Process 0 N/A
System 4 N/A
smss.exe 508 N/A
csrss.exe 576 N/A
wininit.exe 628 N/A
csrss.exe 640 N/A
services.exe 672 N/A
lsass.exe 684 KeyIso, SamSs
lsm.exe 692 N/A
svchost.exe 824 DcomLaunch, PlugPlay
nvvsvc.exe 872 nvsvc
svchost.exe 900 RpcSs
svchost.exe 932 WinDefend
svchost.exe 992 Audiosrv, Dhcp, Eventlog, lmhosts, wscsvc
svchost.exe 1036 AudioEndpointBuilder, EMDMgmt, hidserv,
Netman, PcaSvc, SysMain,
TabletInputService, TrkWks, UxSms,
WdiSystemHost, Wlansvc, WPDBusEnum, wudfsvc
svchost.exe 1068 AeLookupSvc, BITS, Browser, EapHost, gpsvc,
IKEEXT, iphlpsvc, LanmanServer, MMCSS,
ProfSvc, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon, SENS,
ShellHWDetection, Themes, Winmgmt, wuauserv
winlogon.exe 1116 N/A
audiodg.exe 1172 N/A
SLsvc.exe 1204 slsvc
svchost.exe 1244 EventSystem, FDResPub, LanmanWorkstation,
netprofm, nsi, SSDPSRV, SstpSvc, upnphost,
W32Time, WebClient
svchost.exe 1344 CryptSvc, Dnscache, KtmRm, NlaSvc, TapiSrv,
TermService
spoolsv.exe 1548 Spooler
svchost.exe 1576 BFE, DPS, MpsSvc
GoogleUpdaterService.exe 1860 gusvc
libusbd-nt.exe 1932 libusbd
rundll32.exe 1956 N/A
svchost.exe 408 Net Driver HPZ12
svchost.exe 520 Pml Driver HPZ12
PnkBstrA.exe 544 PnkBstrA
PnkBstrB.exe 12 PnkBstrB
svchost.exe 880 PolicyAgent
svchost.exe 620 stisvc

--
Warlord Kentax
Warlord Kentax's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/85016.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

EN4CER

Re: BF2142 Punkbuster/EA/Vista Woes
It almost sounds like you don't have administrator rights on your user. Go
to the user control panel and make sure that the username you are logged in
as has the most rights. I'm on Vista 64bit (which is even more problematic!)
and it works fine. Have you updated your video/sound drivers? Most people
get lock-ups in BF2142 rather than a black screen.

--

EN4CER

---------
"Warlord Kentax" <Warlord.Kentax.3plkbd@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> svchost.exe 824 DcomLaunch, PlugPlay
> nvvsvc.exe 872 nvsvc
> svchost.exe 900 RpcSs
> svchost.exe 932 WinDefend
> svchost.exe 992 Audiosrv, Dhcp, Eventlog, lmhosts, wscsvc
> svchost.exe 1036 AudioEndpointBuilder, EMDMgmt, hidserv,
> Netman, PcaSvc, SysMain,
> TabletInputService, TrkWks, UxSms,
> WdiSystemHost, Wlansvc, WPDBusEnum, wudfsvc
> svchost.exe 1068 AeLookupSvc, BITS, Browser, EapHost, gpsvc,
> IKEEXT, iphlpsvc, LanmanServer, MMCSS,
> ProfSvc, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon, SENS,
> ShellHWDetection, Themes, Winmgmt, wuauserv
> winlogon.exe 1116 N/A
> audiodg.exe 1172 N/A
> SLsvc.exe 1204 slsvc
> svchost.exe 1244 EventSystem, FDResPub, LanmanWorkstation,
> netprofm, nsi, SSDPSRV, SstpSvc, upnphost,
> W32Time, WebClient
> svchost.exe 1344 CryptSvc, Dnscache, KtmRm, NlaSvc, TapiSrv,

Joe

Re: BF2142 Punkbuster/EA/Vista Woes
Warlord Kentax <Warlord.Kentax.3plkbd@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in

> CPU Type: AMD 64
> CPU Speed: 3.01 GHz
> RAM Memory: 4GB
> Operating System: Windows Vista 32 bit
> Video Card Type: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS
> Video Card Driver Version: 7.15.11.8208
>
> Network Speed: Faster than DSL/Cable 1Mbps
> Router: NETGEAR WNDR3300
>

> Ok, so I've been trying to get Battle Field 2142 to work on my
> computer for a long time now (months). I'm having a terrible time.
>
> When I try to use BF2142 the splash screen comes up, the screen goes
> black, part of the screen comes back as my desktop for a second then
> goes black, then it all goes back to my desktop and a generic windows
> error "BF2142.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to
> stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you
> if a solution is available."

www.evenbalance.com

Download/Run PBSetup.EXE (PunkBuster Updater)
It should update all Punkbuster files for all games installed on your
system.

Run BF.

Other than that I don't know. Never really played too much BF21whatever

I will be playing the crap out of Battlefield Heroes when it comes out
though.

--
Joe
Warlord Kentax

Re: BF2142 Punkbuster/EA/Vista Woes

Woops, should have said that I already did that and that it didn't
alleviate the problem.

--
Warlord Kentax
Warlord Kentax's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/85016.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...es/1147530.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

EN4CER

Re: BF2142 Punkbuster/EA/Vista Woes
From browsing forums I've read that on-board sound and BF (2 or 2142) don't
get along very well at all. Run some google searches on BF2142.

Also, read the readme. It actually has a lot of good information in section
'V. KNOWN ISSUES AND TROUBLESHOOTING'.

--

EN4CER

---------
> [...]
> svchost.exe 824 DcomLaunch, PlugPlay
> nvvsvc.exe 872 nvsvc
> svchost.exe 900 RpcSs
> svchost.exe 932 WinDefend
> svchost.exe 992 Audiosrv, Dhcp, Eventlog, lmhosts, wscsvc
> svchost.exe 1036 AudioEndpointBuilder, EMDMgmt, hidserv,
> Netman, PcaSvc, SysMain,
> TabletInputService, TrkWks, UxSms,
> WdiSystemHost, Wlansvc, WPDBusEnum, wudfsvc
> svchost.exe 1068 AeLookupSvc, BITS, Browser, EapHost, gpsvc,
> IKEEXT, iphlpsvc, LanmanServer, MMCSS,
> ProfSvc, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon, SENS,
> ShellHWDetection, Themes, Winmgmt, wuauserv
> winlogon.exe 1116 N/A
> audiodg.exe 1172 N/A
> SLsvc.exe 1204 slsvc
> svchost.exe 1244 EventSystem, FDResPub, LanmanWorkstation,
> netprofm, nsi, SSDPSRV, SstpSvc, upnphost,
> W32Time, WebClient
> svchost.exe 1344 CryptSvc, Dnscache, KtmRm, NlaSvc, TapiSrv,

Stumblingblock

Re: BF2142 Punkbuster/EA/Vista Woes
I can't recall where I found out, but punkbuster is not vista compatible.
Anyone know more?
> [...]
> svchost.exe 824 DcomLaunch, PlugPlay
> nvvsvc.exe 872 nvsvc
> svchost.exe 900 RpcSs
> svchost.exe 932 WinDefend
> svchost.exe 992 Audiosrv, Dhcp, Eventlog, lmhosts, wscsvc
> svchost.exe 1036 AudioEndpointBuilder, EMDMgmt, hidserv,
> Netman, PcaSvc, SysMain,
> TabletInputService, TrkWks, UxSms,
> WdiSystemHost, Wlansvc, WPDBusEnum, wudfsvc
> svchost.exe 1068 AeLookupSvc, BITS, Browser, EapHost, gpsvc,
> IKEEXT, iphlpsvc, LanmanServer, MMCSS,
> ProfSvc, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon, SENS,
> ShellHWDetection, Themes, Winmgmt, wuauserv
> winlogon.exe 1116 N/A
> audiodg.exe 1172 N/A
> SLsvc.exe 1204 slsvc
> svchost.exe 1244 EventSystem, FDResPub, LanmanWorkstation,
> netprofm, nsi, SSDPSRV, SstpSvc, upnphost,
> W32Time, WebClient
> svchost.exe 1344 CryptSvc, Dnscache, KtmRm, NlaSvc, TapiSrv,

Joe

Re: BF2142 Punkbuster/EA/Vista Woes
"Stumblingblock" <antaeus66@earthlink.net> wrote in

> I can't recall where I found out, but punkbuster is not vista
> compatible.
> Anyone know more?

Umm, Punkbuster is compatible with Vista, what smoke are you crackin?

go to evenbalance.com, download and run the PBSETUP.EXE file to update all
your game PB files.

GOOGLE PEOPLE! Sheesh

--
Joe