game keep closing in 10 mins under 64 bit

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

crazypighouse

game keep closing in 10 mins under 64 bit

hi there everyone, i'm new here and i have a question. I just brought a
new laptop with vista home premium 64 bit 4G RAM. However, while i'm
playing a online game for about every 10 minutes, it just closed by
itself and didn't give me any warnings. It can stay w/ no problem on
the game login page but just not in the game. I'm wondering is there
problem with the graphic card? I had tried 2 different brand laptop
with 64 bit 4G RAM, both have the same problem. But the game worked
well with my old laptop with vista home premium 32 bit 3G RAM. I
really have no idea, and also i had tried to set the DEP but no help at
all. Thx so much first for any replys..

crazypighouse
Joe

Re: game keep closing in 10 mins under 64 bit
crazypighouse <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in

> I just brought a
> new laptop with vista home premium 64 bit 4G RAM. However, while i'm
> playing a online game for about every 10 minutes, it just closed by
> itself and didn't give me any warnings. It can stay w/ no problem on
> the game login page but just not in the game. I'm wondering is there
> problem with the graphic card? I had tried 2 different brand laptop
> with 64 bit 4G RAM, both have the same problem. But the game worked
> well with my old laptop with vista home premium 32 bit 3G RAM. I
> really have no idea, and also i had tried to set the DEP but no help at
> all.

Umm, which game? What kind of computer? (full specs)

Laptops = not gaming systems, make sure you're getting good ventilation,
update all your drivers, check the game makers support site online and see
if there's troubleshooting for the game.

--
Joe
crazypighouse

Re: game keep closing in 10 mins under 64 bit

but it actually works for my old laptop w/ 32 bit vista and i didn't
change any settings on the old one. just dont really get it why its
not working w/ 64 bit. i had already updated all the driver, tried to
run in Comp mode and also ran as admin., but still doesn't work.
Again it can stay on the log in page forever and crash after around 10
mins. in the game. Any ideas anyone?? thx..

> but it actually works for my old laptop w/ 32 bit vista and i didn't
> change any settings on the old one. just dont really get it why its
> not working w/ 64 bit. i had already updated all the driver, tried to
> run in Comp mode and also ran as admin., but still doesn't work.
> Again it can stay on the log in page forever and crash after around 10
> mins. in the game. Any ideas anyone?? thx..

Try loading Vista 64 on your old laptop, I bet the game will run no
problem.

Vista 64 runs 32 bit apps no problem, but not 16-bit. Vista 32-bit runs
16 and 32-bit. You said the game runs, but it fails after 10 minutes. If
Vista 64 was the problem the game probably would not run at all, right?

When you describe this problem I first think hardware is overheating and
failing.

That's my idea, Vista sitting at the login screen isn't stressing your
computer/notebook, but when you startup a game and the notebook brings
all your components up to full speed, after a short run the game is
failing. That to me says your notebook is overheating and failing to
prevent further hardware damage.

-A.

--
Joe
crazypighouse

Re: game keep closing in 10 mins under 64 bit

thx so much for your reply joe. The 32 bit old gateway laptop was
stolen that's why i got into this new sony here. however, i got another
64 bit gateway before this sony and it had the same problem, so both are
overheating w/ the game? or is it realted to any video memory problem,
like the window shuts it down since it uses too much memories in the
game? also i checked the problem history and it reports as Program
Campatibility problem. is there any way that i can change the 64 bit
to 32 bit? thx again

--
crazypighouse
Charlie Tame

crazypighouse wrote:
> thx so much for your reply joe. The 32 bit old gateway laptop was
> stolen that's why i got into this new sony here. however, i got another
> 64 bit gateway before this sony and it had the same problem, so both are
> overheating w/ the game? or is it realted to any video memory problem,
> like the window shuts it down since it uses too much memories in the
> game? also i checked the problem history and it reports as Program
> Campatibility problem. is there any way that i can change the 64 bit
> to 32 bit? thx again

You said after 10 minutes into the game, it it always around the same
place in the game or just after about 10 minutes even if you stand still
or whatever?

There are 3 things that "Can" look very similar because they can
generate misleading error messages etc. Hardware failing, Memory failing
and Video drivers failing. Faults in a program can also trigger one of
these and that's where I think we are at. It can be real hard to track
down something like this, even for the developers who have the source
code. It's usually a stupid mistake and they are he hardest to spot
sometimes.

Hate to say it but "IF" everything else is working just fine, and it
sounds like it is, then your best option is to contact the game's vendor
or tech support. They may already be working on it, they may not know
about it or worse still you may discover they fixed it just AFTER you
install 32 bit Vista

My findings are that after a somewhat rocky start my 64 bit Vista
machines are more stable than 32 bit machines (Ie same machines running
32 bit) although it has to be said that all are much more stable than
when Vista was first installed. (These are from the same CD / DVDs so it
must be updates that fixed things).

I think what we are looking at here is some memory allocation or
overflow error in the game itself, and only the developers can fix that.

crazypighouse

Re: game keep closing in 10 mins under 64 bit

thx charlie. it will crush no matter where u r in the game around 10
mins. somtimes it even closes faster if i run it as XP compatibility
mode or if i open IE at the same time. i was thinking that it might be
some kind of memory problems. also i checked the problem even
log,forgot what it actually said but it was telling me to close all
other programs to try the game again. in task manager, in the
game, the phy memory total i have is 3900+, cached around 2500 and free
phy memory come down all the way from 2000+ to 0 when im in the game, is
it usual for the free memory down to 0?
b/c in my other 32 bite 3G vista desktop i will have at least around
7-8 free memory left when i was in the game. thx again for
anymore comments.

--
crazypighouse
Charlie Tame

crazypighouse wrote:
> thx charlie. it will crush no matter where u r in the game around 10
> mins. somtimes it even closes faster if i run it as XP compatibility
> mode or if i open IE at the same time. i was thinking that it might be
> some kind of memory problems. also i checked the problem even
> log,forgot what it actually said but it was telling me to close all
> other programs to try the game again. in task manager, in the
> game, the phy memory total i have is 3900+, cached around 2500 and free
> phy memory come down all the way from 2000+ to 0 when im in the game, is
> it usual for the free memory down to 0?
> b/c in my other 32 bite 3G vista desktop i will have at least around
> 7-8 free memory left when i was in the game. thx again for
> anymore comments.

Well, if you see the free memory gradually getting less then that sounds
like a "Memory Leak", what's happening is memory is being allocated to
"Something" during the game and is not being freed after use. You might
try a google search for name of the game and the words "Memory Leak" and
see if that turns anything up.

remove_ntcanuck@hotmail.com

Charlie Tame wrote:

> Well, if you see the free memory gradually getting less then that sounds
> like a "Memory Leak", what's happening is memory is being allocated to
> "Something" during the game and is not being freed after use. You might
> try a google search for name of the game and the words "Memory Leak" and
> see if that turns anything up.

I'd go with connection issues, if on dialup ISP
(dsl also) may be switching ip addresses, note
that online games require dedicated IP at client
end..having said that only Win2k and Windows
Server 2003sp1 work correctly in regards to
maintaining tcp throughput and open/close
sockets (mangled code in XP and downline).
(XP and Vista also feature limited socket
connections..look for kludge to open up
number of connections per client)

The games that are online compatible will
also usually connect back to themselves
via 127.0.0.1 (having internal to game
automated networking utilities) so there
could be some need of hardware driver
(net cards) required or if using a router
firmware or routing allowance manually set.
(which reminds one to double check firewall
(vista and 3rd party) to be bit more
promiscuous in case locked to one IP/port.

Not noted if using steam or what actual
game is having a problem, nor if any
background file transfers (like P2P)
interfering or using up sockets.

Games and applications may lock up or
just die when not able to get into
debugging mode but still check the
OS logs for application and system.

Memory in Vista is mutable and done
automagically by OS, free ram is just
totally idle ram and should not be
looked at in same way as prior OS's.
Video ram however may be a concern.

First thing to do would be uninstall
the game and all remnants..including
folders..reformat HDD, then reinstall
the game and again reformat HDD, there
are numerous games today that glitch
for nothing more than a missing or
misplaced ini file, which brings me
to looking for debug info/crash info
within the game itself (usually stored
somewhere) or set game to debug mode.

Another area is when game version does
not match the game server version..
some missing or changed settings or
characters can have that effect.

Lots of other considerations including
sound card driver/setting such as
disable D3D or reduce graphic quality.

Oh crackers..just saw admin mode..
the OS (Vista and Win7) will place
files in different locations and with
different policies depending on mode
(admin/guest/etc) *installed* and played..
so nothing but admin mode will give the
game access to folders correctly which
brings one to 'save mode' in the game
where it may not be able to save or
retrieve info required when not installed
AND run in admin mode..gets complex.

Also run dxdiag in run box (admin mode)
to see if full 3d hardware acceleration
is ok, one day I'll update this info