Games on vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Falcon

Games on vista

When ever i attempt to play a game on my pc which has vista ultimate on
it, the game itself lasts for a few minutes maybe 10 mins but then it
completely freezes and i have to cold restart.

I have 4gb of ram and 1 9800gx2 on my system all with the latest
drivers i have checked.

Does anyone have any idea?

--
Falcon
Falcon's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/falcon.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Lillebror

Re: Games on vista

Check your cooling. Your CPU should not overheat at that speed.

--
Lillebror
Lillebror's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/lillebror.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...es/1136598.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Falcon

Re: Games on vista

My CPU is cooled by liquid and is hovering about 65c. Is that too hot?
im on idle at the moment.

You think it could be CPU to hot rather than GPU too hot??

--
Falcon
Falcon's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/falcon.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...es/1136598.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Katy Pluta

Re: Games on vista
65 on liquid cooling at idle sounds way too hot, you better check that
cooling is effective...

All the Best
Katy Pluta

Falcon wrote:
> My CPU is cooled by liquid and is hovering about 65c. Is that too hot?
> im on idle at the moment.
>
> You think it could be CPU to hot rather than GPU too hot??

RalfG

Re: Games on vista
Second that. Optimum temp varies with CPU but at idle it should be somewhere
under 50c even with ordinary cooling. My P4 is sitting at 44c with 15-20%
usage.

"Katy Pluta" <katypluta@gmail.com> wrote in message
> 65 on liquid cooling at idle sounds way too hot, you better check that
> cooling is effective...
>

> All the Best
> Katy Pluta
>

> Falcon wrote:
>> My CPU is cooled by liquid and is hovering about 65c. Is that too hot?
>> im on idle at the moment. You think it could be CPU to hot rather than
>> GPU too hot??

Falcon

Re: Games on vista

The temperature i mentioned at the beginning is what the nvidia nforce
told me however when i use realtemp it tells me that each core of my qud
core is at 30c??

I am using an armor lcs cooling solution. Should that not be affective

--
Falcon
Falcon's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/falcon.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...es/1136598.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Bill

Re: Games on vista
65c for the GPU doesn't sound too bad, mine runs at around 69c at stock fan
speeds, 30c for each core is excellent.

if your GPU isn't liquid cooled there is a program called rivatuner that
will allow you to turn up your GPU's fan speed. My GPU's normal fan speed
is 29% and it runs at around 69c. In rivatuner I set the fan speed to go to
50% when windows starts it drops down to around 60c. You can set it to
adjust the fan speed. try setting the fan speed to 100% and see if your
games run more stable.

http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=rivatuner

"Falcon" <Falcon.3opb7b@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> The temperature i mentioned at the beginning is what the nvidia nforce
> told me however when i use realtemp it tells me that each core of my qud
> core is at 30c??
>
> I am using an armor lcs cooling solution. Should that not be affective
>

> --
> Falcon
> Falcon's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/falcon.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...es/1136598.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

RalfG

Re: Games on vista

"Falcon" <Falcon.3opb7b@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> The temperature i mentioned at the beginning is what the nvidia nforce
> told me however when i use realtemp it tells me that each core of my qud
> core is at 30c??
>
> I am using an armor lcs cooling solution. Should that not be affective
>

> --
> Falcon
> Falcon's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/falcon.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...es/1136598.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Just wondering what the shut-down temperature is set to in your motherboard
BIOS? That and the cooling-fan speed/temp levels factor into your problem.
The fan speed should kick up in stages as the CPU temperature rises. With a
normal cooler the highest fan speed should be able to keep the CPU
temperature safely below the critical level. It's no use my guessing
whether your CPU cooler is effective or not, just monitor the CPU
temperatures while it is under heavy use to judge that for yourself.

Without knowing exactly which processor you are using we can only generalize
about what is a normal or safe temperature. AMD Phenom maximum running
temps are near the low end of the scale, others (Athlons, Semprons,
Celerons) can run much hotter, Pentiums run cooler.

The page below lists critical temperatures for a range of CPUs:

http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Art...eratures.shtml

Your 65C at idle is normal for some CPUs but falls at or even above the top
of the range for many others. For example, it would only take a few minutes
or less of high use to boost that temperature above the maximum for a
Phenom CPU.

Falcon

Re: Games on vista

Well i have a Q6600 processor and according to that website it says my
max temp should be 62.5c but is that per core or in total? because using
realtemp my cores are all running at about 20-25c each.

The GPU as well does seem to be cooler now i use that rivatuner, each
GPU seems to be opertaing around 65c?

--
Falcon
Falcon's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/falcon.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...es/1136598.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

EN4CER

Re: Games on vista
That is a quad 'core' processor. This means that each core is logical (not
physical). It should not be attempting to tell you the temperature of each
core, rather it should tell you the temperature of the processor. The only
time core temperatures matter is if you think one is acting up, in which
case you would have much more severe problems.

Have you installed the latest drivers for your motherboard and graphics
card? Definitely check for the graphic card drivers as they are an extremely
common problem. Also, this happens when your power supply is not giving
enough juice to the entire system. What is the wattage of your PSU?

Each CPU and GPU have different critical temperature ranges. I doubt you're
hitting them. Can you explain the lock up in more detail? Do you have to
reboot the computer or will CTRL+ALT+DELETE allow you to kill the program
(game)? Can you alt tab? Do you hear looping sound? The more detail you give
us the more likely we will be able to identify which component is having
issues.

-EN4CER