Random crashes in games

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

nobes

Random crashes in games

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with every game I play crashing to desktop. I
always get the error stating something to the effect of "this program
stopped working and will now close". I have had a bit of a look at other
posts with similar errors yet the solutions seem to be mostly based on
the specs of each computer.

So here are my specs:

OS: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1
(6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Black Edition Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
MB: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
PSU: ZALMAN 850 watt
RAM: 8Gb @ 1066mhz
GRAPHICS CARD: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2Gb (made by Sapphire)
CASE: Antec TwelveHundred

At first I thought it was a cooling issue, however I don't think so as
the majority of things are running at about 55 deg (celcius).
Additionally, all my driver's are up to date and I have also
re-installed my graphics card drivers and the problem still occurs.

Attached is a system Diag so you can see what's what. If you need any
more info I'll gladly provide it. I could also provide performance and
reliability results if you wish.

I would really appreciate your help

Thanks.

|Filename: DxDiag.txt |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10572|

nobes
Richard

Re: Random crashes in games
Hi
The only thing that I can see from your diagnostics is that your C: Drive
appears a little small and with not much free space. Your hard drives C: and
D: are partitions on the same physical device, so I would suggest that you
double the size of the C: partition.
It might help.
Regards

Richard
"nobes" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi all,
>
> I'm having a problem with every game I play crashing to desktop. I
> always get the error stating something to the effect of "this program
> stopped working and will now close". I have had a bit of a look at other
> posts with similar errors yet the solutions seem to be mostly based on
> the specs of each computer.
>
> So here are my specs:
>
> OS: Windows VistaT Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1
> (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
> CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 940 Black Edition Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
> MB: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
> PSU: ZALMAN 850 watt
> RAM: 8Gb @ 1066mhz
> GRAPHICS CARD: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2Gb (made by Sapphire)
> CASE: Antec TwelveHundred
>
> At first I thought it was a cooling issue, however I don't think so as
> the majority of things are running at about 55 deg (celcius).
> Additionally, all my driver's are up to date and I have also
> re-installed my graphics card drivers and the problem still occurs.
>
> Attached is a system Diag so you can see what's what. If you need any
> more info I'll gladly provide it. I could also provide performance and
> reliability results if you wish.
>
> I would really appreciate your help
>

> Thanks.

> |Filename: DxDiag.txt |
> |Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10572|

> nobes

nobes

Re: Random crashes in games

Ok, after a fair bit of research, apparently this has been a bit of a
problem for users of ATi Crossfire x2 cards.

Microsoft released a hot fix for this problem. Check details here:
'Performance issues may occur on a Windows Vista-based or Windows Server
2008-based computer if Active State Power Management is enabled'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956563)

--
nobes
Joe

Re: Random crashes in games

> Ok, after a fair bit of research, apparently this has been a bit of a
> problem for users of ATi Crossfire x2 cards.
>
> Microsoft released a hot fix for this problem. Check details here:
> 'Performance issues may occur on a Windows Vista-based or Windows Server
> 2008-based computer if Active State Power Management is enabled'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956563)

I've always been of the firm belief that SLi/CrossFire is a crock. Why
spend $600 on 2 video cards when you could buy one $400 card and get
similar performance, with less crashing?

Sorry, I'll get off my soap-box now.
--
Joe
EN4CER

Re: Random crashes in games
I agree with Joe that SLI is a pipe dream unless you're working within a
graphical industry and you need them to store huge amounts of data within
their on-board memory. The only upside I can see to SLI is when you've
bought a brand new card, say the GTX280 and 3 or 4 years down the road you
want to double your cards performance by adding what will then be an
extremely cheap card (another GTX280). I did this in the past and it worked
out great. Be aware that SLI sucks a lot more juice and creates a lot more
heat than a normal configuration though I learned that the hard way.

--

EN4CER