Cannot re-install BF2

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

jlrupert909

Cannot re-install BF2

I was having trouble upgrading my V1.0 bf2 by running the full patch
1.41. Always complained about "unable to get Windows drive" followed by
some other messages finally ending with not enough space (but there is,
lots). I tried to uninstall and that didn't work either. So, I figured
it was toast and did the usual registry search to find and remove the
keys. I thought I did a pretty thorough job searching for BF2 and
battlefield. I also delete the program from programs (x86) and the other
stuff in my users folder. Now when I run the BF2 from my setup CD is now
says "The current version of the application could not be determined.
the setup will now terminate". I've tried all the tricks I know of "Run
as admin..." Compatibility mode... enable/disable UAC but no good. Now
I'm assuming if I can get it uninstalled and reinstalled that right
after that I should be able to run the patch (before playing). But for
now, I cannot even get it to re-install. Anyone got any ideas?

--
jlrupert909
Joe

Re: Cannot re-install BF2
jlrupert909 <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in

> I was having trouble upgrading my V1.0 bf2 by running the full patch
> 1.41. Always complained about "unable to get Windows drive" followed
> by some other messages finally ending with not enough space (but there
> is, lots). I tried to uninstall and that didn't work either. So, I
> figured it was toast and did the usual registry search to find and
> remove the keys. I thought I did a pretty thorough job searching for
> BF2 and battlefield. I also delete the program from programs (x86) and
> the other stuff in my users folder. Now when I run the BF2 from my
> setup CD is now says "The current version of the application could not
> be determined. the setup will now terminate". I've tried all the
> tricks I know of "Run as admin..." Compatibility mode...
> enable/disable UAC but no good. Now I'm assuming if I can get it
> uninstalled and reinstalled that right after that I should be able to
> run the patch (before playing). But for now, I cannot even get it to
> re-install. Anyone got any ideas?

Click Start and type in "System Restore"
Run the System Restore app that comes up
Select, "Choose a different restore point..."

Find the time and date from the list that appears BEFORE you installed
or tried to install BF2.

If you don't see the date, check the box at the bottom of the window to
display more info.

Once you find the date, select it and choose next, follow the prompts,
try not to loose power while it's running, your system may have to
reboot here and there, but once finished, try to install the game again.

When you choose an install folder, use a custom folder like C:\Games\BF2

That way you shouldn't have to run as admin during gameplay, but you
might want to run the patch as admin, just in case.

Good luck,
--
Joe
jlrupert909

Re: Cannot re-install BF2

thanks but restore is not an option. When I first setup my system I
installed BF2 played a local game and was happy. Then installed a bunch
of other things and I mean a bunch. Obviously going back to the point
before install would require me to reload everything once again and that
just ain't going to happen.

I appreciate the reply though. Thanks!

I still think there is something in the registry that the BF2 install
looks for causing it to think BF2 is still installed. Finding that
nugget is going to be my only salvation. I've been wrong before though.

--
jlrupert909
EN4CER

Re: Cannot re-install BF2
Well, I know how to fix the not enough space issue but now that you've been
monkeying with the registry (which is actually for the fix for the not
enough space issue) I don't know what you have and have not done. The
following is directly copied and pasted from a forum at this location:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Battl...ng-t40973.html.

Please keep in mind that (x86) directory is nothing more than a pretty way
to associate which programs are 32bit and which are 64bit. x86 will contain
32bit applications (confusing, I know). I would also do as Joe suggested and
install to a different directory. I always install to c:\games\Gamename. The
main reason for this is organization and force of habit. The second is that
if you go with the defaults then half of your games will be in the (x86)
directory will the other half will be in your vanilla directory. Below you
will see the registry and directory listing as well as the steps involved in
removing them (which you obviously already know). Don't forget that they
drop a folder into the My Documents folder, all sneaky like.

You can manually uninstall the game by removing the files and registry keys
associated with it. Be sure to follow these steps exactly as they appear to
prevent accidental file/program deletion on your system.

To delete the save files:

Open My Documents.
Right-click on the Battlefield 2 folder and choose Delete.
To delete the game files (in the default location):

Open My Computer.
Open the C drive.
Open the Program Files folder.
Open the EA GAMES folder.
Right-click on the Battlefield 2 folder and choose Delete.
Close all open windows.
Right-click on the Recycle Bin and choose Empty Recycle Bin.
To edit the registry and remove Battlefield 2:

Click on the Start button.
Click on Run.
Type regedit in the text field.
Click File and then choose Export.
Name the file Backup and make sure the Export Range is set to All.
Click Save; you will now be returned to the Registry Editor window.
Click the plus sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
Click the plus sign next to Software.
Click the plus sign next to DICE.
Right-click on the Battlefield 2 folder and choose Delete.
Click the plus sign next to Electronic Arts.
Right-click and choose Delete on any Battlefield 2 folders.
Click the plus sign next to Microsoft.
Click the plus sign next to Windows.
Click the plus sign next to CurrentVersion.
Click the plus sign next to Uninstall.
Right-click and choose Delete on the key named
{04858915-9F49-4B2A-AED4-DC49A7DE6A7B}.
Close the Registry Editor

"jlrupert909" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I was having trouble upgrading my V1.0 bf2 by running the full patch
> 1.41. Always complained about "unable to get Windows drive" followed by
> some other messages finally ending with not enough space (but there is,
> lots). I tried to uninstall and that didn't work either. So, I figured
> it was toast and did the usual registry search to find and remove the
> keys. I thought I did a pretty thorough job searching for BF2 and
> battlefield. I also delete the program from programs (x86) and the other
> stuff in my users folder. Now when I run the BF2 from my setup CD is now
> says "The current version of the application could not be determined.
> the setup will now terminate". I've tried all the tricks I know of "Run
> as admin..." Compatibility mode... enable/disable UAC but no good. Now
> I'm assuming if I can get it uninstalled and reinstalled that right
> after that I should be able to run the patch (before playing). But for
> now, I cannot even get it to re-install. Anyone got any ideas?
>

> --
> jlrupert909

jlrupert909

Re: Cannot re-install BF2

At this point it is totally fubar. I don't plan to play. I copied the
setup from an old backup on a Windows XP system before I got this new
one. So what I have now is BF2 without any registry entries. Of course
it works in local game mode but not online, complains now about invalid
CD key.

Tired of it all. EA gave me some suggestions about a sound card, like
that has anything to do with it IMHO. But, I guess I'll try that next.
My gut says, BF2 on this machine is not going to happen. Some things are
not meant to be. Someday I'll find the energy to try again.

Thanks for everyones help. I'll post if I fix it and let you know what
the magic bullet was.

--
jlrupert909