NEED HELP vista wont let me extract files

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

texasallstar696

NEED HELP vista wont let me extract files

Hello, i am a modder for the game medieval total war 2 kingdoms. I am
currently modding on a mod called p italica and I am having problems
once i download the beta it opens up in WINRAR their are 4 folders the p
italica the scrips the pictures and the launch button. When i try and
extract p italica to my main med2 directory

program files/sega/med2/

It says system cannot find path specified

what should i do?

I know its a vista problem because on my XP system i extracted it
easily

--
texasallstar696
Ken Nichols

Re: NEED HELP vista wont let me extract files
I suggest you try running WINRAR in administrator mode (and maybe even with
XP compatability). It sounds like you don't have write permissions on the
directory you are trying to copy the files too.

Hope that helps.

~Ken

"texasallstar696" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello, i am a modder for the game medieval total war 2 kingdoms. I am
> currently modding on a mod called p italica and I am having problems
> once i download the beta it opens up in WINRAR their are 4 folders the p
> italica the scrips the pictures and the launch button. When i try and
> extract p italica to my main med2 directory
>
> program files/sega/med2/
>
> It says system cannot find path specified
>

> what should i do?
>
> I know its a vista problem because on my XP system i extracted it
> easily
>

> --
> texasallstar696

texasallstar696

Re: NEED HELP vista wont let me extract files

bump

--
texasallstar696
texasallstar696

Re: NEED HELP vista wont let me extract files

Well you see the thing is i am in administrator mode or is their another
thing i have to do like in winrar is their something i need to turn on.
Because I am the administrator.

--
texasallstar696
Ken Nichols

Re: NEED HELP vista wont let me extract files
Right click on the WINRAR icon, and go to Properties (last item on the
menu). Click the Compatibility tab, and click both "Run this program in
compatibility mode" for Windows XP and the "Run this program as an
administrator" options. Then click OK, and start it. You should get a UAC
prompt. Click through it and when WINRAR starts, open your archive file.
I'm pretty sure you should then be able to unpack to the Program Files
directory tree now.

BTW, running an app in an administrator account is not the same as running
an app with administrator privelages. I know it makes no sense, but that's
the way it is with apps not designed to work with Vista's new Use Account
Control.

Let us know if it this works.

> Well you see the thing is i am in administrator mode or is their another
> thing i have to do like in winrar is their something i need to turn on.
> Because I am the administrator.
>

> --
> texasallstar696

Joe

Re: NEED HELP vista wont let me extract files
texasallstar696 <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in

> Hello, i am a modder for the game medieval total war 2 kingdoms. I am
> currently modding on a mod called p italica and I am having problems
> once i download the beta it opens up in WINRAR their are 4 folders the
> p italica the scrips the pictures and the launch button. When i try
> and extract p italica to my main med2 directory
>
> program files/sega/med2/
>
> It says system cannot find path specified
>
> what should i do?

Anything installed into Program Files is "PROTECTED" (Mainly from
Viruses and programs that should NOT be saving files in Program Files),
so you can right-click WinRAR and run as admin, or you can install TW2K
into another folder like C:\Games

That'll elliminate the problem altogether.

Welcome to Vista Security, enjoy the cake.

--
Joe
Joe

> bump

There's no bumping in Usenet, please get off my network.

--
Joe
EN4CER

Re: NEED HELP vista wont let me extract files
Try using a different program to unzip the files. Did you attempt to extract
with the default windows program? If so then try again with 7-ZIP (free, no
spyware). If that still doesn't work go into the USER control panel and make
sure you have FULL administrative rights.

Another thing to try is to manually create that directory and then tell the
extraction wizard to extract there. If all of the above fail then try a drag
and drop extraction without using any wizard. If you're still having
problems let us know. As Joe said, don't bump, this is not a forum.

"texasallstar696" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello, i am a modder for the game medieval total war 2 kingdoms. I am
> currently modding on a mod called p italica and I am having problems
> once i download the beta it opens up in WINRAR their are 4 folders the p
> italica the scrips the pictures and the launch button. When i try and
> extract p italica to my main med2 directory
>
> program files/sega/med2/
>
> It says system cannot find path specified
>

> what should i do?
>
> I know its a vista problem because on my XP system i extracted it
> easily
>

> --
> texasallstar696

chelleng

Re: NEED HELP vista wont let me extract files

its really simple. the default is windows explorer.

to get back at that, you open your command prompt
to get there go start > all programs > accessories > command prompt

there type:

cmd /c assoc .zip=CompressedFolder

this should work.

--