vista spider solitaire helper

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

rrobelen

vista spider solitaire helper

I play Vista spider 2 suits (intermediate). I have solved the first 516
games (and still going). I read somewhere that all 2 suit games are
solveable. I could not have solved the games without an Excel
spreadsheet that I developed that does not solve the games but helps you
solve them by keeping track of the cards you have managed to expose. I
only use it on the hard ones but without it I would have given up on
many. I would be happy to share it with anyone who is like me and is
determined to solve every game. It has an easy way to enter the cards.

--
rrobelen
Mark

Re: vista spider solitaire helper
Thats an amazing achievement (I'm only at 42%)

However, given that there are 104 cards and the (supposedly) random delivery
of them, aren't there hundreds of millions of possibilities?

Mark

"rrobelen" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I play Vista spider 2 suits (intermediate). I have solved the first 516
> games (and still going). I read somewhere that all 2 suit games are
> solveable. I could not have solved the games without an Excel
> spreadsheet that I developed that does not solve the games but helps you
> solve them by keeping track of the cards you have managed to expose. I
> only use it on the hard ones but without it I would have given up on
> many. I would be happy to share it with anyone who is like me and is
> determined to solve every game. It has an easy way to enter the cards.
>

> --
> rrobelen

James Matthews

Re: vista spider solitaire helper
You can reinstall the game if you want. Then it should fix your issue

--

http://www.astorandblack.com/
"rrobelen" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I play Vista spider 2 suits (intermediate). I have solved the first 516
> games (and still going). I read somewhere that all 2 suit games are
> solveable. I could not have solved the games without an Excel
> spreadsheet that I developed that does not solve the games but helps you
> solve them by keeping track of the cards you have managed to expose. I
> only use it on the hard ones but without it I would have given up on
> many. I would be happy to share it with anyone who is like me and is
> determined to solve every game. It has an easy way to enter the cards.
>

> --
> rrobelen

rrobelen

Re: vista spider solitaire helper

I don't have an issue with the game. I think you misread my post

--
rrobelen

rrobelen is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: vista spider solitaire helper
Hi Mark,
I read somewhere that all the 4 suit games (advanced) are not solvable but all the 2 suit games are. If this is true then the games are not randomly dealt. I can easily construct a deck of cards where you could not make a move on any of the 6 deals of the cards.
Reading that all the 2 suit games are solvable caused me to reinstall the game and see if I could in fact solve all the 2 suit games I played. In time I ran into a very hard game which lead to my constructing what I call my “spider helper”. It is an Excel spreadsheet with some VBA code behind it to make it easy to enter the cards that are exposed. Seeing which stacks had not been exposed and then concentrating them lead me to a solution for the game. Since it does take some work to enter the cards I don’t use it on every game. I do not have a precise way to decide when to use it (my mood comes into play). I would say, on average, I use the helper on maybe one out of every 10 games but that is just a guess.
On your comment that you are at 42% - I assume you are playing 2 suits like me. When I was playing 2 suit spider on XP (where you can only go back up to the last suit removal) I was at 40%. Of course in spider on Vista you can back up all the way to the beginning which makes it much easier to find a solution.
As I said, my helper does not solve the games but without it I would have given up on some games. Before I built the helper I had one that took me over 2000 moves to solve. Using the helper casts the game in a new light.
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Thats an amazing achievement (I'm only at 42%)

However, given that there are 104 cards and the (supposedly) random delivery
of them, aren't there hundreds of millions of possibilities?

Mark

"rrobelen" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I play Vista spider 2 suits (intermediate). I have solved the first 516
> games (and still going). I read somewhere that all 2 suit games are
> solveable. I could not have solved the games without an Excel
> spreadsheet that I developed that does not solve the games but helps you
> solve them by keeping track of the cards you have managed to expose. I
> only use it on the hard ones but without it I would have given up on
> many. I would be happy to share it with anyone who is like me and is
> determined to solve every game. It has an easy way to enter the cards.
>

> --
> rrobelen
Mamie

rrobelen;970768 Wrote:
> I don't have an issue with the game. I think you misread my post

I just got Vista and played many games of spider solitaire. I completed
all games yet when I checked my statistics it said I had lost one game-
I hadn't. I reset the stats and started again. After about 60 games, it
again said I had lost one. I had completed all, but did back track. I
wondered if by back tracking before ending the game you lose a game,
even though I went to the end and solved it.
Can anyone help?

--
Mamie
rrobelen

Mamie;973314 Wrote:
> > rrobelen;970768 Wrote:
> > I don't have an issue with the game. I think you misread my post> >

> I just got Vista and played many games of spider solitaire. I
> completed all games yet when I checked my statistics it said I had
> lost one game- I hadn't. I reset the stats and started again. After
> about 60 games, it again said I had lost one. I had completed all, but
> did back track. I wondered if by back tracking before ending the game
> you lose a game, even though I went to the end and solved it.
> Can anyone help?

I have been able to backtrack many times in a game and when I
ultimately complete it it has always counted as a win. My stats are
now:
Games played 526
Games won 526
Win percentage 100%

Longest winning streak 526
Longest losings streak 0
Current streak 526

--
rrobelen
Mamie

Re: vista spider solitaire helper

Thanks for that. There must be a glitch in mine because I have
definitely completed each game but twice now it has ruined my stats
without warning!
Good luck to you in your scoring!

--
Mamie
rrobelen

Re: vista spider solitaire helper

I assume you are playing in the Intermediate or Advanced option. I am
playing Intermediate but I can't believe the game performs differently
in any mode. I have never tried it in Beginner mode.

--
rrobelen
Mamie

Re: vista spider solitaire helper

I am playing in the Intermediate option. It is mysterious that after the
fireworks, it just records a winning game as a loss inexplicably. But
thanks for the sympathy.

--
Mamie