A DX-10 question

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

Drew

A DX-10 question
Does anyone know whether we will see that much difference in dx 10 versus dx
9 games and do you think it is worth waiting on a wider variety of dx 10
cards to come out...
I am currently running a 7900gs Nvidia card but this board supports Ati's
crossfire and I am going to be switching...I was curious whether to do it
now or wait a yr and see what comes down the pipeline's so to speak...Most
of what I play are racing sim's such as Rfactor,,Live for speed (not the
need for speed series) netkar Pro or GTR2...These are higher end but I do
not think they are necessarily DX10 ready....Any observations would help

sibrecat

Re: A DX-10 question
i would hang fire for the moment the 8600 series is coming out any time soon
and that should have the desired price knock on effecton 8800 cards, I have
only read about one DX10 patch coming out for current games, think it pay to
wait a while
"Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know whether we will see that much difference in dx 10 versus
> dx 9 games and do you think it is worth waiting on a wider variety of dx
> 10 cards to come out...
> I am currently running a 7900gs Nvidia card but this board supports Ati's
> crossfire and I am going to be switching...I was curious whether to do it
> now or wait a yr and see what comes down the pipeline's so to speak...Most
> of what I play are racing sim's such as Rfactor,,Live for speed (not the
> need for speed series) netkar Pro or GTR2...These are higher end but I do
> not think they are necessarily DX10 ready....Any observations would help

Drew

Re: A DX-10 question
aah yes but that would be an Nvidia card....The 8600 will certainly be
cheaper than the 8800 but I am really interested in Ati's crossfire
cards....Thanks for your help
"sibrecat" <sibrecat@sky.com> wrote in message
>i would hang fire for the moment the 8600 series is coming out any time
>soon and that should have the desired price knock on effecton 8800 cards, I
>have only read about one DX10 patch coming out for current games, think it
>pay to wait a while
> "Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know whether we will see that much difference in dx 10 versus
>> dx 9 games and do you think it is worth waiting on a wider variety of dx
>> 10 cards to come out...
>> I am currently running a 7900gs Nvidia card but this board supports Ati's
>> crossfire and I am going to be switching...I was curious whether to do it
>> now or wait a yr and see what comes down the pipeline's so to
>> speak...Most of what I play are racing sim's such as Rfactor,,Live for
>> speed (not the need for speed series) netkar Pro or GTR2...These are
>> higher end but I do not think they are necessarily DX10 ready....Any
>> observations would help

Dale White

Re: A DX-10 question
I've only seen teh crysis demos of DX 10 and I haven't seen the same thing
renedered in DX9.0c. So it's hard to say at this time.

I don't think you'll have to wait a year, ATI is *Suppose* to release their
new cards in May. And the first DX10 game aren't listed untul Aug-Sept
(though obviously dates might change). Supreme Commander is suppose to
release a DX10 patch, so is Flight Sim X. Not sure about CnC3. Bioshock,
Hellgate London, Unreal Tournament andCrysis are the big titles I'm looking
at to measure the DX10 games and thus cards.

Here's some promo screenshots of DX10 titles

I'm not for sure the first generation of DX10 games are going to offer a
huge leap over DX9.0c. They might, maybe they are really putting some solid
effort into making a super launch of DX10 titles. More then likely, the
first batch will give us some nice visuals, maybe a performance gain, but it
will be the games in 2008 and 2009 that will really bring DX10 to life.

Absolutely no reason to buy at this time, until ATI releases their cards,
and then I would wait for at least 1 DX10 game to come out and show it's
stuff. I'm buying a card for Crysis no matter what, as I don't think my
X1900XTX is going to cut it.

"Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know whether we will see that much difference in dx 10 versus
> dx 9 games and do you think it is worth waiting on a wider variety of dx
> 10 cards to come out...
> I am currently running a 7900gs Nvidia card but this board supports Ati's
> crossfire and I am going to be switching...I was curious whether to do it
> now or wait a yr and see what comes down the pipeline's so to speak...Most
> of what I play are racing sim's such as Rfactor,,Live for speed (not the
> need for speed series) netkar Pro or GTR2...These are higher end but I do
> not think they are necessarily DX10 ready....Any observations would help

Drew

Re: A DX-10 question
Thanks Dale I appreciate the in-depth response...I do not particularly play
any so called war games but I am more into the simulators (racing or Flying)
but as always appreciate a knowledgeable person who is up on this stuff...
"Dale White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message
> I've only seen teh crysis demos of DX 10 and I haven't seen the same thing
> renedered in DX9.0c. So it's hard to say at this time.
>
> I don't think you'll have to wait a year, ATI is *Suppose* to release
> their new cards in May. And the first DX10 game aren't listed untul
> Aug-Sept (though obviously dates might change). Supreme Commander is
> suppose to release a DX10 patch, so is Flight Sim X. Not sure about CnC3.
> Bioshock, Hellgate London, Unreal Tournament andCrysis are the big titles
> I'm looking at to measure the DX10 games and thus cards.
>
> Here's some promo screenshots of DX10 titles
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77741
>
> I'm not for sure the first generation of DX10 games are going to offer a
> huge leap over DX9.0c. They might, maybe they are really putting some
> solid effort into making a super launch of DX10 titles. More then likely,
> the first batch will give us some nice visuals, maybe a performance gain,
> but it will be the games in 2008 and 2009 that will really bring DX10 to
> life.
>
> Absolutely no reason to buy at this time, until ATI releases their cards,
> and then I would wait for at least 1 DX10 game to come out and show it's
> stuff. I'm buying a card for Crysis no matter what, as I don't think my
> X1900XTX is going to cut it.
>

> "Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know whether we will see that much difference in dx 10 versus
>> dx 9 games and do you think it is worth waiting on a wider variety of dx
>> 10 cards to come out...
>> I am currently running a 7900gs Nvidia card but this board supports Ati's
>> crossfire and I am going to be switching...I was curious whether to do it
>> now or wait a yr and see what comes down the pipeline's so to
>> speak...Most of what I play are racing sim's such as Rfactor,,Live for
>> speed (not the need for speed series) netkar Pro or GTR2...These are
>> higher end but I do not think they are necessarily DX10 ready....Any
>> observations would help

Dale M. White

Re: A DX-10 question

Just keep in mind that some of this stuff is a moving target and runs in and
out of the rumor mill. I'll have to find the article again, but I read from
the developers that Halo 2 for the PC (and Vista only) is actually only
DX9.0c, but you look around and others list it has DX10. Company of Heroes
is suppose to be DX10 with a patch, others will say it's not.

ATI has moved their R600 series cards back a few times now, and May is
projected.

So keep your ear to the ground as nothing is written in stone.

According to Dustin, Flight Sim X's DX10 patch isn't due out until late
fall. if that's one of the Sims you're keeping an eye on

> Thanks Dale I appreciate the in-depth response...I do not particularly
> play any so called war games but I am more into the simulators (racing or
> Flying) but as always appreciate a knowledgeable person who is up on this
> stuff...
> "Dale White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message
>> I've only seen teh crysis demos of DX 10 and I haven't seen the same
>> thing renedered in DX9.0c. So it's hard to say at this time.
>>
>> I don't think you'll have to wait a year, ATI is *Suppose* to release
>> their new cards in May. And the first DX10 game aren't listed untul
>> Aug-Sept (though obviously dates might change). Supreme Commander is
>> suppose to release a DX10 patch, so is Flight Sim X. Not sure about CnC3.
>> Bioshock, Hellgate London, Unreal Tournament andCrysis are the big titles
>> I'm looking at to measure the DX10 games and thus cards.
>>
>> Here's some promo screenshots of DX10 titles
>> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77741
>>
>> I'm not for sure the first generation of DX10 games are going to offer a
>> huge leap over DX9.0c. They might, maybe they are really putting some
>> solid effort into making a super launch of DX10 titles. More then likely,
>> the first batch will give us some nice visuals, maybe a performance gain,
>> but it will be the games in 2008 and 2009 that will really bring DX10 to
>> life.
>>
>> Absolutely no reason to buy at this time, until ATI releases their cards,
>> and then I would wait for at least 1 DX10 game to come out and show it's
>> stuff. I'm buying a card for Crysis no matter what, as I don't think my
>> X1900XTX is going to cut it.
>>

>> "Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>> Does anyone know whether we will see that much difference in dx 10
>>> versus dx 9 games and do you think it is worth waiting on a wider
>>> variety of dx 10 cards to come out...
>>> I am currently running a 7900gs Nvidia card but this board supports
>>> Ati's crossfire and I am going to be switching...I was curious whether
>>> to do it now or wait a yr and see what comes down the pipeline's so to
>>> speak...Most of what I play are racing sim's such as Rfactor,,Live for
>>> speed (not the need for speed series) netkar Pro or GTR2...These are
>>> higher end but I do not think they are necessarily DX10 ready....Any
>>> observations would help

Robert Moir

Re: A DX-10 question

> aah yes but that would be an Nvidia card....The 8600 will certainly be
> cheaper than the 8800 but I am really interested in Ati's crossfire
> cards....Thanks for your help

Well ATI and NVidia both have an effect on each others cards in the market.
While the 8800 is the only product out there with DX10 support and it is
also a 'premium' part ATI only have to release something roughly equal to it
to say they're in the game. You won't start seeing real good value from
either manufacturer until they launch revised models and start actually
competing with each other.

My opinion (my own personal plan in fact) would be to keep your current card
as it's 'good enough' (as is my X1800XT) for now, and wait for the market to
stop moving. In either case, you're not really missing that much by sticking
for a little while longer.

Slap

Re: A DX-10 question

"Robert Moir" <robspamtrap@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> aah yes but that would be an Nvidia card....The 8600 will certainly be
>> cheaper than the 8800 but I am really interested in Ati's crossfire
>> cards....Thanks for your help

> Well ATI and NVidia both have an effect on each others cards in the
> market. While the 8800 is the only product out there with DX10 support and
> it is also a 'premium' part ATI only have to release something roughly
> equal to it to say they're in the game. You won't start seeing real good
> value from either manufacturer until they launch revised models and start
> actually competing with each other.
>
> My opinion (my own personal plan in fact) would be to keep your current
> card as it's 'good enough' (as is my X1800XT) for now, and wait for the
> market to stop moving. In either case, you're not really missing that much
> by sticking for a little while longer.

AMD reported a bad 1st. Qtr. Shipments apparently plunged by 28%. They
will fill only 'critical' job openings and shave $500 million from this
years capital expenditure budget. They just bought ATI last year... maybe
hoping for some help by bringing in some vid card revenue. The ATI arm is
having trouble there tho isn't it.

They have a meeting April 19 to discuss the overhaul.

Razzle Fratz

Re: A DX-10 question
Partly good advice.

The market will never stop moving. It is much like a moving train and we
need to jump on when we feel the need.

I have the X1900XT and it is GREAT!

I will probably upgrade when there is an upgrade to go to in another 6
months or so.

DX10 should be firmly entrenched by then...a year at the most.

"Slap" <slap@gmail.com> wrote in message

> AMD reported a bad 1st. Qtr. Shipments apparently plunged by 28%. They
> will fill only 'critical' job openings and shave $500 million from this
> years capital expenditure budget. They just bought ATI last year... maybe
> hoping for some help by bringing in some vid card revenue. The ATI arm is
> having trouble there tho isn't it.
>
> They have a meeting April 19 to discuss the overhaul.

Well yes, but I'm not sure how that changes what I was saying. I will add
that whether or not someone is a 'fan' of one manufacturer over another, or
just likes to buy whatever looks good at the time, the last thing we want as
consumers is for AMD/ATI or any other similar company to disappear.