installing DirectX 9c on Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.games

pringles08 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
installing DirectX 9c on Vista
Hello,
I am trying to download DirectX 9c on Vista so that I can play Medieval total war. But every time I hit instal is give me an error stating that one or more components of Directx are running at this time, and that I need to close all other programs. However I don't have anything else running. what can I do?
Katy Pluta

Re: installing DirectX 9c on Vista
pringles08 wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to download DirectX 9c on Vista so that I can play Medieval
> total war. But every time I hit instal is give me an error stating that
> one or more components of Directx are running at this time, and that I
> need to close all other programs. However I don't have anything else
> running. what can I do?

Where you downloading from? ou should run the web installer below, this
will install all latest DX files:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displayLang=en

pringles08 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah that's the sight. I have also gotten off of the CD from my game too. but when I hit install I get the error telling me that there are DirectX programs already running.
Musicrab

Re: installing DirectX 9c on Vista
> yeah that's the sight. I have also gotten off of the CD from my game
> too. but when I hit install I get the error telling me that there are
> DirectX programs already running.

If you are short of any DX updates this will sort you out:-

pringles08 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Setup Has detected one or more DirectX component Files are in-use by an application. Please exit all applications before running DirectX setup again.

This is the error I get whenever I do anything DirectX related, including the last link provided.
Andy [YaYa]

Re: installing DirectX 9c on Vista
pringles08 <pringles08.3ffy8b@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
newsringles08.3ffy8b@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com:

> Setup Has detected one or more DirectX component Files are in-use by an
> application.

So then there's something running on your computer that is messing or
"using" the DirectX files.

Try bringing up task manager, close or "End Process" all the processes
under your name that aren't explorer.exe or taskmgr.exe

Try running dxwebsetup.exe (You should be able to find it at
http://www.microsoft.com/directx)

If this is a new Vista installation, make sure you have SP1 installed as
well.

--
-A.

pringles08 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Andy you are the best, it worked like a charm!
Andy [YaYa]

Re: installing DirectX 9c on Vista
pringles08 <pringles08.3fjxc9@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
newsringles08.3fjxc9@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com:

> Andy you are the best, it worked like a charm!

I used to work tech support at EA back when DirectX 3 was the latest and
greatest. At least now people have accepted that they need DirectX no if's
and's or but's. It used to be they were trying to uninstall it because they
didn't want it, or they thought the game would run OK without it.

I usually run dxwebsetup about once every 3 months to apply any fixes or
changes they've put in. I don't know why MS doesn't put DirectX into the
Windows Update service. Ah well.

--
-A.

pablo81 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: installing DirectX 9c on Vista
Hi guys,

Im having the same problem installing 9.c on my 4 month old vitsa. (uk) I realy need DX 9 as im trying to run vietcong (my fav game) on this new PC.

PLEASE could someone help me fix this (little hint to andy : ) )

...please
thanks!
Lira

Re: installing DirectX 9c on Vista

I usually don`t go to forums to look for help (when i need it), but i
got to tell you if you were by my side i would have kissed u man. I was
trying to fix this problem since yesterday and today i woke up at 6 am
cuz i got reeaaally frustraded that i couldn`t solve it. Before read u
comment i tried everything that you can imagine, then i read ur comment
and i said "tsss this is not gonna work". Like pringles said, it worked
reaaally good. Thx man, i was about to do a fly-kick on my pc.

--
Lira
Lira's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/lira.htm

http://forums.techarena.in